Possible VMAX noob here

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhammer2u

Reaction score
Hi all. New here. Been riding about 7 years. Started on a 79 Yamaha XS1100 (wish I kept) now riding as 2012 1200 Harley Sportster. I want a bigger bike and have always loved the VMax.

1. Where on this site can I get the 5 min schooling on late model VMax bikes? (I'm a quick study)

2. I think I'll be looking for a VMax from the last few years. So I'm hoping to learn the differences between say 2014 (arbitrary year) to 2020. I usually buy used to save a few thousand but like modern. (NO CARBS!!)

3. I'm 6' 230lbs and I think a newer VMax will fit me nice. I'm looking for a bike I can rip twisties, ride comfortably 300 miles, hit the local bike nights, get a few groceries (bop around town), be unique and shock the sportbikes when I smoke them...lol.

Look forward to chatting with you. Thanks!

Hello mrhammer.

I recognize you from the XS11 forum.

Welcome to the Vmax forum. I can't help with your questions because I'm a first gen Vmax owner, and I haven't learned much about the second gen.

Someone knowledgeable will be by shortly.

1. This site doesn't have a 5 minute primer course on the Gen2 vmax. This site was originally Gen1 focused. The starvmax site was Gen2. That site shut down. Folks have been slowly migrating over here and adding content.
2. There are no major differences from 09 to 2020 except color. If you buy an 09, just make sure the recalls were done.
3. Not really a questing but the vmax will do what you ask but it will require 3 or 4 fuel stops for that 300 mile day.

1. This site doesn't have a 5 minute primer course on the Gen2 vmax. This site was originally Gen1 focused. The starvmax site was Gen2. That site shut down. Folks have been slowly migrating over here and adding content.
2. There are no major differences from 09 to 2020 except color. If you buy an 09, just make sure the recalls were done.
3. Not really a questing but the vmax will do what you ask but it will require 3 or 4 fuel stops for that 300 mile day.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean literally 5 minutes. I just thought maybe there was an introductory thread someone could point me to. I have been rummaging around the site and wiki.

I keep seeing reference of gen 1 versus gen 2. Are there only 2 gens? Does Gen 2 mean fuel injected or something else? I'm trying to narrow down the years in which I want to buy. Seems like you're saying over the past 11 years there have been no major improvements?

As for fuel stops, my Sportster's max range is 115 mi. I actually enjoy getting off the bike every 50 miles or so to stretch the legs or get a cup of coffee.

Hi Radio. I recognize your handle as well. I'm hoping one day I'll have another XS11 in the stable. My garage is the limiting factor.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean literally 5 minutes. I just thought maybe there was an introductory thread someone could point me to. I have been rummaging around the site and wiki.

I keep seeing reference of gen 1 versus gen 2. Are there only 2 gens? Does Gen 2 mean fuel injected or something else? I'm trying to narrow down the years in which I want to buy. Seems like you're saying over the past 11 years there have been no major improvements?

As for fuel stops, my Sportster's max range is 115 mi. I actually enjoy getting off the bike every 50 miles or so to stretch the legs or get a cup of coffee.

Hi Radio. I recognize your handle as well. I'm hoping one day I'll have another XS11 in the stable. My garage is the limiting factor.

Yes there are 2 generations of the Vmax. 1985 to 2007 and 2009 to current. The Gen 1 series is a 4 carb motorcycle with a Vboost(on most bikes). Gen 1 bikes are 1200cc whereas the Gen 2 is 1700cc. Gen 2 bikes are fuel injected. Both generations have a slew of mods that can be done. Both can be customized to any configuration you desire.

No matter which generation Vmax you like, you will be off that bike in between 60-120 miles depending on how you ride.

As for your garage being a limiting factor, LOL, I have a single car garage with 5 motorcycles in there, 3 differentials, Monster sized swamp cooler, 2 engines(350 gen 1 engine and a 3.8L SC engine). engine hoist, shelving, and tool box. If I shuffle things around, I bet I could get maybe 2 more bikes in there.

Yes there are 2 generations of the Vmax. 1985 to 2007 and 2009 to current. The Gen 1 series is a 4 carb motorcycle with a Vboost(on most bikes). Gen 1 bikes are 1200cc whereas the Gen 2 is 1700cc. Gen 2 bikes are fuel injected. Both generations have a slew of mods that can be done. Both can be customized to any configuration you desire.

No matter which generation Vmax you like, you will be off that bike in between 60-120 miles depending on how you ride.

As for your garage being a limiting factor, LOL, I have a single car garage with 5 motorcycles in there, 3 differentials, Monster sized swamp cooler, 2 engines(350 gen 1 engine and a 3.8L SC engine). engine hoist, shelving, and tool box. If I shuffle things around, I bet I could get maybe 2 more bikes in there.

:eek::D:) Lol, lol!

And I thought I was crowded with 8 motorcycles in a 1400 sqft shop!

To the OP: you can't go wrong with any well-sorted Vmax, whether it be a gen1 or a gen2. Take your time, shop around, because there are plenty to choose from. Good luck with whatever machine you end up with!

Hi all. New here. Been riding about 7 years. Started on a 79 Yamaha XS1100 (wish I kept) now riding as 2012 1200 Harley Sportster. I want a bigger bike and have always loved the VMax.

1. Where on this site can I get the 5 min schooling on late model VMax bikes? (I'm a quick study)

2. I think I'll be looking for a VMax from the last few years. So I'm hoping to learn the differences between say 2014 (arbitrary year) to 2020. I usually buy used to save a few thousand but like modern. (NO CARBS!!)

3. I'm 6' 230lbs and I think a newer VMax will fit me nice. I'm looking for a bike I can rip twisties, ride comfortably 300 miles, hit the local bike nights, get a few groceries (bop around town), be unique and shock the sportbikes when I smoke them...lol.

Look forward to chatting with you. Thanks!
Greetings.
Where are you located?

Where in N Jersey? I'm in Flemington now, but grew up in West New York. Hudson County

Morristown area. We usually ride N/NW through West Milford, Newton, High Point, Warwick, Pine Island, Harriman State Park, West Point, etc. TONS of twisty mountain roads through woods/farm land all within an hour and NO highways!

Once in a while we'll go through your area to get to Frenchtown or New Hope. Riding up and down the Delaware River on via 29/32 is great.

I'm from Fair Lawn originally, I own a business in Saddle Brook.

I live in Tuxedo now a half mile from the entrance to Harriman. I ride all the places you do.

If I still had my 2009 I'd let you take it for a good long ride. You'd want one right away after that! My current VMax is a bit of a monster still being tamed, so it's not really a good representation.

Latest posts

Back