Possibly buying a V-Max and have mixed feelings, also have some questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At rest, I agree with you!

What's next, "drum brakes, with their generously-sized friction material on two or more shoes, give performance equal to disc brakes, with their small friction area."

"A rigid rear triangle allows your bum to better-feel changes in road traction, compared to 'jam-pots,' resulting in superior handling."

I will let you dish out the snark as I am new here. But, your post is funny becaise it is true.

I've won a lot of money off of people that actually think they can tell the difference between the two.

A bias tire has much stiffer sidewalls than a radial. By lowering the pressure just slightly, at temperature the bias tire will "roll" on it's sidewalls just like a radial does. It will literally feel exactly the same.

The only place a radial has a real advantage over the bias tire is at high speeds. But since 99.9% of all riders will spend 99.9% of their time doing somewhere around the speed limit, it's a complete non-factor. There literally is no discernable difference the vast majority of the time.

But then again the people that think there is some massive difference are probably the same ones paying stupid amounts of money to run nitrogen in their tires thinking it's the second coming of Christ in performance. :rolleyes:

I've won a lot of money off of people that actually think they can tell the difference between the two.

A bias tire has much stiffer sidewalls than a radial. By lowering the pressure just slightly, at temperature the bias tire will "roll" on it's sidewalls just like a radial does. It will literally feel exactly the same.

The only place a radial has a real advantage over the bias tire is at high speeds. But since 99.9% of all riders will spend 99.9% of their time doing somewhere around the speed limit, it's a complete non-factor. There literally is no discernable difference the vast majority of the time.

But then again the people that think there is some massive difference are probably the same ones paying stupid amounts of money to run nitrogen in their tires thinking it's the second coming of Christ in performance. :rolleyes:

I would heavily disagree. The radial profiles and rubber compounds are generally better overall. More traction and quicker turn in. Some can even feel like you're riding on the edge of a dime and a very small lean transitions much more quickly to the turn (some don't like that actually). If radials were not better they would not have been invented and run on nearly every single modern motorcycle these days.

Now I know difference, I am so smart!!! ;) Which ones are cheaper?
tires2.jpg

Digger 440, as the original owner of an 86 vmax, and now several other newer motorcycles that are superior in many ways, i believe you will still love riding the vmax. Every time I take mine out it puts a smile on my face. And although I have other bikes that are faster, and handle significantly better, nothing gets my heart pumping like blasting the MAX up to 100 or so.

Enjoy the ride, and think about your friend every time you do.

I would heavily disagree. The radial profiles and rubber compounds are generally better overall. More traction and quicker turn in. Some can even feel like you're riding on the edge of a dime and a very small lean transitions much more quickly to the turn (some don't like that actually). If radials were not better they would not have been invented and run on nearly every single modern motorcycle these days.
Except in drag racing.

Bias tires are still widely used in drag racing because of sidewall flex. When you slap a lot of power to a bias tire the sidewalls can flex to help absorb the power without breaking the axle or driveshaft. It also results in better traction off the line.

That same ability to flex also results in a smoother ride on rough roads.

If you're on a race track against a clock, sure - the radial is better overall. But in the day to day riding scenario of red light to red light or a few bends here and there on public roads and long stretches of 70 mph riding on an interstate there's really no difference at all...unless you count the added expense you pay for radials.

If someone prefers their ride on bias-plys, have at-it. I ride a mountain bike with no front or rear suspension. On a rough course, suspension would be more-comfortable, and probably quicker. However due to my advanced age, I don't hammer it like I did nearly 30 years ago. I appreciate the climbing ability of a rigid frame, no 'lock-out' levers to set, just go.

Bias-ply tires are the low-end of the market, cheap bikes get cheap tires. Performance bikes and cars get radials, but so-do run of the mill 4 cyl Toyotas. If there's really no difference at all, then why don't manufacturers install them? They save money, and that quote... . Bottom-line, there are significant differences recognized by the industry's manufacturers, the aftermarket, and the public. If someone prefers old technology, that's a choice, like keeping 8" drum brakes on your '57 Chevy, instead of switching to Wilwood, Baer, ssb, or GM disc brakes for rotors and calipers.

Your 100% been riding on the back of sense 89 and my self solo sense 94 know every suspension set up and the bikes response to them. Bet my life out of 10 try a man can not tell you with certainty whats on the bike. Sure he will get a few right but it's 50/50 shot lol. Yip my life that 10 out of ten if you cover the tire and ask to ride you can't tell enough to matter.

I like the ideal of radials on a Vmax, but it seems to me, the cost associated with the wider rim turns some owners off.

With that said, when did Yamaha begin to utilize radials on their motorcycles?

Why do you need different rim for radial tires?

You don’t up front. Good luck finding a 15”radial for the rear though. Tmax has that rim but is 200+ lbs less.
I have Shinko front and back the back is 170/80/15 i have no idea which it is does shinko have a radial in that size? Or do you Know

Shinko doesn't. Michelin Scorcher 11 has a 140/75-15 but it's over $240. Bridgestone has the Battlax BT012 OE in 160/60-15 for about $130.

I have Shinko front and back the back is 170/80/15 i have no idea which it is does shinko have a radial in that size? Or do you Know
I usually buy Shinko, perfect grip and safe tires. They don't get high mileage, but I don't care. I don't know if they are radials or not. I don't care.

I like the ideal of radials on a Vmax, but it seems to me, the cost associated with the wider rim turns some owners off.

With that said, when did Yamaha begin to utilize radials on their motorcycles?
1987 FZR1000

Latest posts

Back