Possibly buying a V-Max and have mixed feelings, also have some questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since this is my first post, hello!

I usually am a lurker and mainly just read, but since I may be pulling the trigger on a 1st Gen I wanted to ask a couple questions.

Since I first saw one in the late 1980s as a teen I have wanted a V-max. The sound of the V4 nearing redline was something I never forgot and it was the only bike I wanted for a long time. I have always been attracted to fast things and when it came time to buy a new bike a V-Max did not make the short list. I needed something that had more range because every summer a group of us goes on a two week trip and planning a ride around gas stations kinda sucks. I ended up buying a brand new 2016 ZX-14R and kitted it out for interstate travel promising myself that I would add a V-Max to the stable down the road.

Well, now I'm down the road and a chance to buy a V-Max has sort of dropped in my lap. My wife has a friend whose husband bought a V-Max brand new in 1985. In 2018 he was thinking about selling it, so he took it to the shop and had it tuned up and serviced. He rode it home from the shop and put it in the garage. His wife sent me a message knowing I am into bikes, saying that he was thinking about selling it and that she would get a price to me in the next week or so. Unfortunately, during that week he was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so I never mentioned it again figuring he would get back to me when he was well enough. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2020 and I sure as heck wasn't about to ask his wife about it after his passing. The wife contacted me earlier this week and wants to get rid of it and asked me to make an offer.

It has been parked for 3 straight years and not been fired once the entire time. I figure it is at least going to need a battery, the carbs gone through due to Ethanol in the fuel, possibly tires, and a brake flush. It was also on its side once (low speed) on a gravel road so it has very minor cosmetic issues that will need attention (Left scoop, Left mirror, and the stator cover). It also need the hideous windscreen and saddle bags removed, but that is neither her nor there. I just want to give her an honest offer and I don't want to screw her.

Where would you guys place the value? As I said, it is a one owner 1985 model with 7000 and change on the odometer (yes, only four digits).

My mixed feelings come from wondering if it will live up to my imagination from all these years of wanting one. My main ride right now weighs 590lbs, puts out just a hair over 200 HP to the tire, and handles like a dream. I don't expect a bone stock V-Max to be at this level but I also don't want to spend the money and never ride it (I have a cafe BMW for that). I also need another money pit like I need a hole in my head. All of that said though, it will probably end up in my garage.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

39012692_830527857336393_350496604395929600_n.jpg

38843088_240411553275363_5501051381810724864_n.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly sorry for your loss.

Well that's the thing you see, when we know someone who is terminally ill, we never quite know what to say. With hindsight, he probably would have been happy that the bike is going to a friend and would be looked after.

Value wise, I'd say around $3,000 (you're in US right?), others will chip in I'm sure.

Everybody wants a bargain but in this instance you don't want to feel you are ripping the wife off so it may be worth while looking on ebay, sold items, as to what similar bikes have sold for and showing them to her. She may say $ 7,000, which is no way Jose, or $ 1,000, which is too low.

As for living up to expectation? Who knows. It is after all a 30 year old design, plenty of raw power but apparently to the experienced, dubious handling (not that I'm good enough to tell).

If I didn't know the person and the isn't running for a test ride and a 2nd gear check I'd offer 500 to 800 depending condition for parting out . If you feel the bike has no problems other then what's posted 1500 to 2500
I'm with 'marsmax85.'

Will she let you touch it, as in, empty it of gas, add a gallon of fresh gas, fit it with a battery, and try to start it? You should be able to get it to run. It might not idle very-well, but you should be able to take it for an around the block spin for long enough to see it doesn't jump out of gear on the 1-2 shift and as you "gas it.". At that point I'd say, if you want to be charitable then a $1500 offer would be reasonable to me, knowing that it's gonna take at least another thousand dollars to safely return it to the road, for you. I doubt any bike shop she contacts would be interested in it for that price, some not at-all, "it's not our clientele."

I normally offer < $1K (more-like $500) for a non-runner. Yes it has low miles, but 7K miles is plenty of time to develop rounded gear dogs and slots, and a shop-fix is probably >$2K, if you can do the work yourself, it's still expensive in parts.

You can low-ball her, she probably won't get any decent offers if she tries to sell it herself, but if you can at least get it running, verify that it won't jump out of gear, she might be happy with a $1000 offer. Seems like she came to you first, so take that into account.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I work graveyard at the moment and she sent me a message just before I went to bed this morning. She said she just wants it to have a good home and have someone love it as much as her husband did. She offered it to me for $800.00 and I cant say no to that, so I will be picking it up Sunday.
Send that funky-ass windshield to where it belongs please lol!

I wasn't even close, New tyres perhaps, change of fluids, new plugs, new fuel filter, check brake pads and clean out the carbs, got yourself a good deal.

If you are satisfied with the bikes you have at the moment then I wonder what the Max will give you?
It will be heavier, handle worse and probably stop less effectively as well.

If you are happy with that and expect to ride it then it's worth considering.
I would want a ride of one first before making any decision and by the end you will either love or hate it.

If you do decide to buy it I would hope you would give a fair price; the lady has gone through a difficult time and doesn't need ripping off.
If you decide to pass then I'm sure she would appreciate some help trying to sell it.

Firstly sorry for your loss.

Well that's the thing you see, when we know someone who is terminally ill, we never quite know what to say. With hindsight, he probably would have been happy that the bike is going to a friend and would be looked after.

Value wise, I'd say around $3,000 (you're in US right?), others will chip in I'm sure.

Everybody wants a bargain but in this instance you don't want to feel you are ripping the wife off so it may be worth while looking on ebay, sold items, as to what similar bikes have sold for and showing them to her. She may say $ 7,000, which is no way Jose, or $ 1,000, which is too low.

As for living up to expectation? Who knows. It is after all a 30 year old design, plenty of raw power but apparently to the experienced, dubious handling (not that I'm good enough to tell).

Speaking of an 85, there’s one for sale on Ebay, with a little over 15k on it.

Hasn’t run in 10 years and the seller is asking $6500

I guess throwing sh$t at the wall to see what sticks😉

My main ride right now weighs 590lbs, puts out just a hair over 200 HP to the tire, and handles like a dream.
Then forget about that Vmax. It weighs in at 635 pounds and has nowhere near that horsepower and isn't a particularly excellent handling bike.

OK, there you go! She's cognizant of the true value, however she came to that number. Hand the $ to her, go through the bike to address the issues, and enjoy the classic ride, and outstanding performance.

I believe the #1 best change you can make on a Gen. 1 is to get a proper rear wheel to allow you to use radial tires. This is not a cheap way to proceed and it's going to cost > what you pay for the bike. That's buying two good radials, a modded rear wheel, or Carrozzeria's like Sean Morley was selling. The handling at speed is much better especially at 'lose your license' speeds. You can use an OEM front wheel and a narrow same size as stock front radial tire, though the wheel width should be an inch or more wider to allow the radial tire to 'spread' its beads properly.

Get the bike sorted, if the tires are 3 years old or less, I'd say as long as they aren't hard, you can use them. The carburetors will need disassembly, cleaning, and adjustment, there are several people on-here who offer that (dannymax, Sean Morley, and CaptainKyle). Once the bike is working well, you can decide upon what mods if any would help you to enjoy the ride more. I'd recommend stainless steel front brake lines and HH pads as a start, you will be surprised at the difference in braking performance from these simple, not-expensive changes.

Last edited:
OK, there you go! She's cognizant of the true value, however she came to that number. Hand the $ to her, go through the bike to address the issues, and enjoy the classic ride, and outstanding performance.

I believe the #1 best change you can make on a Gen. 1 is to get a proper rear wheel to allow you to use radial tires. This is not a cheap way to proceed and it's going to cost > what you pay for the bike.

Yes, a new set of wheels is a must, bias tire suck so bad. I have been looking around and I will probably go the modification route rather than a set of bolt ons. I dont mind spending money, but brand new is spendy.

I am kinda glad I kept this venture around. My dad bought it for the final drive and the plastics. He was going to take it to the junkyard but I told him to drop it at my shop. He rode it to his house and it ran ok and shifted well. Spare parts are always good!

Since this is my first post, hello!

I usually am a lurker and mainly just read, but since I may be pulling the trigger on a 1st Gen I wanted to ask a couple questions.

Since I first saw one in the late 1980s as a teen I have wanted a V-max. The sound of the V4 nearing redline was something I never forgot and it was the only bike I wanted for a long time. I have always been attracted to fast things and when it came time to buy a new bike a V-Max did not make the short list. I needed something that had more range because every summer a group of us goes on a two week trip and planning a ride around gas stations kinda sucks. I ended up buying a brand new 2016 ZX-14R and kitted it out for interstate travel promising myself that I would add a V-Max to the stable down the road.

Well, now I'm down the road and a chance to buy a V-Max has sort of dropped in my lap. My wife has a friend whose husband bought a V-Max brand new in 1985. In 2018 he was thinking about selling it, so he took it to the shop and had it tuned up and serviced. He rode it home from the shop and put it in the garage. His wife sent me a message knowing I am into bikes, saying that he was thinking about selling it and that she would get a price to me in the next week or so. Unfortunately, during that week he was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so I never mentioned it again figuring he would get back to me when he was well enough. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2020 and I sure as heck wasn't about to ask his wife about it after his passing. The wife contacted me earlier this week and wants to get rid of it and asked me to make an offer.

It has been parked for 3 straight years and not been fired once the entire time. I figure it is at least going to need a battery, the carbs gone through due to Ethanol in the fuel, possibly tires, and a brake flush. It was also on its side once (low speed) on a gravel road so it has very minor cosmetic issues that will need attention (Left scoop, Left mirror, and the stator cover). It also need the hideous windscreen and saddle bags removed, but that is neither her nor there. I just want to give her an honest offer and I don't want to screw her.

Where would you guys place the value? As I said, it is a one owner 1985 model with 7000 and change on the odometer (yes, only four digits).

My mixed feelings come from wondering if it will live up to my imagination from all these years of wanting one. My main ride right now weighs 590lbs, puts out just a hair over 200 HP to the tire, and handles like a dream. I don't expect a bone stock V-Max to be at this level but I also don't want to spend the money and never ride it (I have a cafe BMW for that). I also need another money pit like I need a hole in my head. All of that said though, it will probably end up in my garage.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

View attachment 81613

View attachment 81614
I was about 12 years old when I Pops came rolling in the yard brand new 89 model. Straight away starring out the door those huge crazy silver things and the Ass kind lazy giving it that
Go F--k Your Self look look I have been riding on and off sense. When I got older started taking her to the Track and ended up naming her Go F-ck Your Self..... to funny he has sense passed as of Sept 2020 I spent 2,years looking for the Vmax that spoke to me. I found her a few months ago. I just don't have that connection with the 2nd Gen and it seems that way for you as well. I'm not a super Super mechanic I can do spark plugs, oul, Handle Bar swap, shift configuration, and I mount my own tires that's it for me on turning Wrenches. But I can say with the upmost confidence that I'm top 10% on handling her and what to expect of her at any given speed or lean to. Lol expect the Red Oil light to either flicker or light up like Vagas red district lol. I have been on 7 or 8 different bikes and they all popped up lol. Just when you find that bike straight away change the oil like yesterday change it that way you will know what you have and know the light is just that A Light. I'm not the most knowledgeable with the service side but some.

I hope you find The One for you... where are you from?

Thanks for the replies.

I work graveyard at the moment and she sent me a message just before I went to bed this morning. She said she just wants it to have a good home and have someone love it as much as her husband did. She offered it to me for $800.00 and I cant say no to that, so I will be picking it up Sunday.

That worked out well! I would hand her an even $1000, get it running and cleaned up, then take it back over to her house and get a few pictures with the bike and one of her holding a photograph of her husband next to the bike. Get a nice 8 x 10 frame and frame that pic with her, you, the bike and her husband's photo. Sign and date the back of the photo and write a thank you message. Send the framed photograph to her.

Last edited:
Let 2.5 pounds of air out of the bias tire and you'll never know the difference between it and the radial.
At rest, I agree with you!

What's next, "drum brakes, with their generously-sized friction material on two or more shoes, give performance equal to disc brakes, with their small friction area."

"A rigid rear triangle allows your bum to better-feel changes in road traction, compared to 'jam-pots,' resulting in superior handling."

That worked out well! I would hand her an even $1000, get it running and cleaned up, then take it back over to her house and get a few pictures with the bike and one of her holding a photograph of her husband next to the bike. Get a nice 8 x 10 frame and frame that pic with her, you, the bike and her husband's photo. Sign and date the back of the photo and write a thank you message. Send the framed photograph to her.

THAT is CLASSY.

WELL DONE THERE

Just send the guy $200 and feel good about it! Don't forget to tell us about it! ;)
$800 is a good deal if engine/transmission are fine. You never know what kind of problems you have to deal with. I bought 15-years old bike with 7 miles (not k, just 7) and it had lots of problems: rusty fuel tank, clogged carbs, don't remember what else. Check tires manufacturing dates, possibly 30-years old tires with "good" tread. Not sure about steering neck and wheels bearing grease condition.

Latest posts

Back