Possibly the last first owner Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings from the great white north,

After 20+ years of riding under the tuning fork banner I've finally acquired one of these magnificent beasts. And I count myself lucky to have found the last new one from a dealership in my country at least. It will be in the factory crate until the snow and gravel is gone from the roads. Very excited to officially take possession and looking forward to utilizing the experience and knowledge available on this forum. I'm already browsing tank upgrades and saddlebag options for next winter.

Attachments

After 20+ years of riding under the tuning fork banner I've finally acquired one of these magnificent beasts. And I count myself lucky to have found the last new one from a dealership in my country at least. It will be in the factory crate until the snow and gravel is gone from the roads. Very excited to officially take possession and looking forward to utilizing the experience and knowledge available on this forum. I'm already browsing tank upgrades and saddlebag options for next winter.
Congratulations from Alton, Ontario. What year is your lucky find? I Ride a 2007 Vmax.

The VIN sticker actually shows Dec 2020.
So it's right at the very end of the production run. I'm considering getting a custom plate that reads "fin". Until someone suggests something better.
The end of the production run of any given year is June. So a 2020 model would be production dates of July of 2019 (usually August since June is the tooling change month) through June of 2020.

I remember when the 05 I ordered came in and it was a special day in my life. I watched the dealer unbox it and assemble and took many pictures, I will ALWAYS remember as a high spot of my life, not the highest, but very much up there. :)

O

Congratulations! You are very lucky to find this at this time. Enjoy the beast, I bet she can’t wait until she is unleashed.

I'll admit I'm torn and feel a little guilty. But at this point in life I've realized life is short and fleeting. Owning a second gen and opening my own Yamaha crate have been on my bucket list for a long time. Probably the most important ones too. This will be the only vehicle I'll ever purchased brand new. At the very least I'm going to give it the best home I can.

What fun to watch the crate come-off, and to see the motorcycle in its glory, awaiting final assembly and prep for you, the proud new owner.

In Ft. Lauderdale, I once stopped in at the Ducati dealer, on State Rd. 7/US 441. It was a Saturday, and I was just taking a bike ride, and stopping at a couple of places to see who showed-up, and looking at the parking lot to see 'who rode what.'

An acquaintance was there, and he was pretty jacked-up. This was before cellphones (for most of us) and he had a paper camera, one of those Kodak recyclable ones where you just gave 'em the entire thing to get your pics developed. There was a crate in the parking lot next to the OH door, and he was going back and forth, taking pics from all-sides.

"Steve, what's in the box?" I asked. Steve ran his own sole-proprietor shop for service & repair of $$$$ foreign cars, he was a licensed Lamborghini technician, and sometimes the local dealership would farm-out repairs to him. It wasn't uncommon to see >a million dollars in customers' cars in there, and this was back in the Last Millenium, early'90's. On one visit to his shop I found him with two Toyota 2000 GT's waiting their turn. The Toyota factory production totaled 337 units, in the 1960's, when they sold at the same price range as a 427 Tri-Power C2 Corvette; then there was the Aston Martin Lagonda, the 'wedgiest' car you ever saw, a Porsche Turbo, and a Rolls-Royce sedan. There were others... .

1675003245109.png

A Lagonda:
1675003388945.png

I could see that the crate had Italian phrases on the cardboard, and the stout block lower-case letters spelling out the crate's origin, it was from bimota.

"I ordered this a year ago, and here it is!" he said. He was documenting the opening of the crate, but without the Millennial 'blue or pink' pyrotechnics common today, in the baby 'reveals.' As the pieces came-off, I considered snatching a piece of the crate bearing the bimota name, but since I was on my bike, I passed.

With the crate's sides removed you could see this was no 'ordinary' bimota (is there such a thing?) The first clue was the curious arrangement of the opposite ends of the bike: "is it coming or going?" A clue, "which end has handlebars above it?" Why the confusion?

Because it had two swingarms.

1675002004392.png

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bimota-tesi-1d-904sr/
That's how you accommodate center-hub steering, which was tried out in GP racing of the time, different designs from different manufacturers (Ron Haslam famously rode a Honda-powered [3-cyl RS500 two-stroke] design, sponsored by French petroleum company ELF, which gave a good accounting of itself, though he was only able to win on it once at the 1986 Macau G.P.), Yamaha had an FZR1000-engine and their own center-hub steering design, sold to the public thirsting for an advanced design front suspension, the GTS1000, a quarter the price (~$13K) of the bimota Tesi 1-D. Our own Captain Kyle had one pass through his shop on its way to a new owner.

1675004094482.png

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/coolest-sportbikes-90s-1993-yamaha-gts1000/
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/elf-racing-elf-motorcycle-chassis-designs-retrospective/
A simply gorgeous piece of Italian design and mechanical execution whose price for acquisition was beyond most of the riders of the time. That is, unless you're willing to spend what at the time was between the median annual pay for someone with a 4-year diploma and a master's diploma ~$45,000 (US Dept. of Commerce, Census Bureau).

The proud new owner acted like he was just-done consuming a double-shot of espresso, as the uncrated bike sat there in the sun, probably for the first time in a month since it had been crated in Rimini Italy, on the Adriatic Sea. I have to admit, it was gorgeous, all the hand-machined parts, faint milling marks bearing proof of its labor-intensive hand-crafted construction. Let's face it, you're never going to see yourself on the other side of any intersection, riding this!

"It's only new, once," as the saying goes, so revel in the uncrating, snap some cellphone pics, and await the final dealer servicing. And grab a piece of the crate cardboard revealing 'what's inside the box?' The shop/garage needs it on the wall.

Last edited:
Back