Potential starter issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeckticHaze

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went to start the bike to get a finial ride in before winterizing. The bike was turning over slow. It had been a while since I had ridden it. When I turned it over for a second time I heard a metal breaking noise that did not sound good. I turned off the ignition. I then saw what I believe to be smoke (very little) coming up from under the carbs. I quickly got the seat off and disconnected the battery and removed it. Smoking stopped. So my thoughts are the starter got fried. The metal breaking sound has me very concerned. Not working with starters before can you perform an electrical test on the starter to determine if it is damaged? Check resistance for short/open circuit or abnormal resistive value? Next question, how much work is involved to replace a starter in a 07 Vmax? I do have a Vmax maintenance manual. I'll start reading tonight. Any diagnostic suggestions would be appreciated.

It's not a major job, but you have to be a bit of a contortionist. Peak under the front header pipes and you'll see the starter. Judge for yourself!

If it were mine, my diagnostics would consist of hitting the starter again and seeing what happens. They do occasionally make disturbing noises.

Thank you for the information. I'm still worried about the smoke. Usually indicates some type of electrical component or wiring failure. I still need to read the maintenance manual.

I thought the "Engine Exhaust" area was the correct spot to post this starter question. I'll do a search next time and try to post the question where other similar questions were posted.

Latest posts

Back