powder coating oven idea needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
I know there are incredibly bright people here on this forum. So, I'm asking for any ideas to make a decent size oven for powder coating. I have the heating and controls part covered.
Any help on ideas is appreciated. Obviously an oven can be bought, but not possible right now, $ not there. An at least 4 by 3 by 4, or close, would be incredible. I'll bet there's something out there I'm not thinking of? Any help greatly appreciated.
Steve

I know there are incredibly bright people here on this forum. So, I'm asking for any ideas to make a decent size oven for powder coating. I have the heating and controls part covered.
Any help on ideas is appreciated. Obviously an oven can be bought, but not possible right now, $ not there. An at least 4 by 3 by 4, or close, would be incredible. I'll bet there's something out there I'm not thinking of? Any help greatly appreciated.
Steve

My brother-in-law does some powder coating, as part of his vintage car restoration hobby. He used to get by with using an old kitchen range, but lately constructed a larger oven, I think by joining two ranges together. I'll talk to him asap, and post again with the details.
p.s. - He uses Eastwood products, and gets very good results.
Cheers!

So Steve,you have the heat source and the controlls ..................all you need is a big sheetmetal box? I have lots of 18ga sheetmetal, we could fab up a angle iron frame and skin it with the sheetmetal ,hang a door on it ( also fabed from angle iron)seal it up with woodstove rope gaskit and your cookin.

So Steve,you have the heat source and the controlls ..................all you need is a big sheetmetal box? I have lots of 18ga sheetmetal, we could fab up a angle iron frame and skin it with the sheetmetal ,hang a door on it ( also fabed from angle iron)seal it up with woodstove rope gaskit and your cookin.
Just pm'd ya Rick,
Thanks very much.
Steve

My brother-in-law does some powder coating, as part of his vintage car restoration hobby. He used to get by with using an old kitchen range, but lately constructed a larger oven, I think by joining two ranges together. I'll talk to him asap, and post again with the details.
p.s. - He uses Eastwood products, and gets very good results.
Cheers!

Much appreciated, please keep me updated. You guys are the best anywhere.
That's about the size, 2 ovens wide.
Steve

Steve, just got off the phone with my brother-in-law.

What he did to make the larger oven was to take the door off of one 30" range, stand it on it's back, cut the back out of another range, set this one on the lower one, and then mig-welded the two together, using some sheet metal as filler pieces, inside and out. The door remains on the top unit, but the complete oven is now a "top loader", with a total depth of about four feet. Immediately below the door is a removable rack, which is used to hang the parts after being powder coated. Most of the car parts that he does are long and narrow, so the vertical arrangement of the oven was the way to go.
As for heating elements, he had an electrician rig up the originals, set on the bottom of the oven, with a common control and thermostat, mounted on the front of the upper range.
Both the ovens were donors, and the labour was supplied free of charge. And the oven works great.
Hope this helps!

Steve, just got off the phone with my brother-in-law.

What he did to make the larger oven was to take the door off of one 30" range, stand it on it's back, cut the back out of another range, set this one on the lower one, and then mig-welded the two together, using some sheet metal as filler pieces, inside and out. The door remains on the top unit, but the complete oven is now a "top loader", with a total depth of about four feet. Immediately below the door is a removable rack, which is used to hang the parts after being powder coated. Most of the car parts that he does are long and narrow, so the vertical arrangement of the oven was the way to go.
As for heating elements, he had an electrician rig up the originals, set on the bottom of the oven, with a common control and thermostat, mounted on the front of the upper range.
Both the ovens were donors, and the labour was supplied free of charge. And the oven works great.
Hope this helps!

I owe ya Miles, big time. I'm thinking side by side for bike/marine parts. the sheet metal I'll talk to Rick about.
Again, thanks isn't enough,
Steve

When I was powdercoating, I used Eastwood stuff, The pro gun was nice but the upgrade you can buy for the less expensive gun makes it shoot almost the same, just the feed was different.

I, at first, used a large toaster over I picked up from a thrift store for $10. If worked great for the small paintball frames and barrells I was doing. But when I started working on my XS, I bought the infra-red heat lamp from eastwood (the smaller one) and that was killer. Just move it around as you bake and give it a few hits with the laser thermometer to make sure your good.
I did my Frame, Heads, Cyls, Engine case. And a few things under the hood of the Thunderbird.

Attachments

• XS-pwdr2b.jpg
    XS-pwdr2b.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • XS-pwdr1b.jpg
    XS-pwdr1b.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 20
  • XS-upper.jpg
    XS-upper.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 20
Back