powder coating vs painting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs_Max

Reaction score
I want Maxine black instead of silver. murdered look. I've been told powder coating is better than paint. need your opinions.

You cannot powdercoat anything plastic, and I don't know about your max, but mine had a bunch of plastics when I took it apart for painting.

Anyway, I painted most of mine and it turned out great. I powdercoated a few small parts, such as the calipers ... but overall, painting worked out just fine and has held up well.

+1. Only works on metal.

You could do the tank and scoops and side panels, no worries.
Powdercoat is more durable than paint, but you don't get as good a finish.
Good powdercoat looks OK.

With powdercoat you can get mirror black, pearls, architectural style flat black, and that texturised black that they put on some harley casings is powdercoat too.

If you want flat, powdercoat would be excellent.

From a practical point of view, PC is relatively cheaper than painting. You send off a grotty component and a nice shiny one comes back
I assume that the cost differential is because less time is involved with preparation and application for PC.

In my experience it is durable and has good chip resistance. That said single coat (no clear topcoat) does seem softer than a two pack paint and can scratch and scuff quite easily.

The coatings can break down after 5 to 10 years of UV exposure (Polyester powders excepted).

More environmentally friendly than paint.

Unlike paint, damaged areas are difficult (impossible?)to repair satisfactorily.

Difficult to match colours - could be an issue if you want the plastic and metal panels to match - I'm sure you are aware that there are many shades of black?

IMHO powder coating looks thicker than paint if that makes sense? Not an issue on smaller components but not to my taste on larger ones.

The ability to flat and polish paint means that if you want a deep, mirror finish, then paint is the best option (at a a price!)

The high oven temperatures could affect some tempered aluminiums (e.g.wheels?).

In summary, if it is superior to a two pack painted finish then I would have thought that the auto manufacturers would have adopted it given that it costs more to apply?
They haven't so that should suggest something to you.

Last edited:
I want Maxine black instead of silver. murdered look. I've been told powder coating is better than paint. need your opinions.
PC doesn't look that good on large flat panels.Like the airbox cover,I'd paint that. PC is great for smaller parts, and it's tuff stuff:biglaugh:......Black is the murdered look:ummm:......OK

I always PC rims and components that are liable to get drops of brake fluid, that does not affect PC but eats away your paint, so rims, swingarms, calipers and such are always powdercoated...

It is possible to get a near flawless finish with p.c. the prep is going to be as involved as paint. Dust while curing will ruin the finish. You can clear coat powder.
Repair, small marks can get fixed, and do by coaters. It depends on color. I've got a customer that is wild about flat black on his Street Glide. And over his chrome. It is a low maint. finish, and doesn't show dirt like some colors do. I might do my wheels flat black. More riding, less wiping.
Steve

I've been told you can't really PC over chrome, is that true? I have few small pieces that are chrome but would like to get them powder coated black.

chrome makes an excellent base for powder. infact you just really need to clean it as far as i know.

looks even better with a translucent powder i've heard!

I had my PC guy sandblast and then powder coat a bunch of chrome parts and they have held up just fine. Mine were pitted with rust, so they needed the sandblasting. Anyway, crappy old parts that look great now.

I tested out a cheap flat black powder the other day. I think it is going to get used a bit more on Veronica! :biglaugh:

I believe I'm going to give powdercoating a go. I want flat black w hot pink around the outsides of my rims. laugh all you want but Maxine will be one hot bitch. :D

Nice thing about flat black is that it is fine both painted and coated. True one might not get identical sheen but the color is somewhat forgiving in that manner. There are several guys here now that are doing powder coating you might employ for the transformation. Surely they can send you some pics of their results.
c6e4e820-63b7-4ccb.jpg
c6e4e820-63ca-23d8.jpg
c6e4e820-63f5-5803.jpg
c6e4e820-6428-60a2.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Powder coated wheels and frame are all well and good BUT once you have a chip or a crack it's the begining of the end. Moisture gets under the coating and lifts it. The old ways are the best boys and girls. Frame and wheels, fork sliders etc.... stove enamel. All else 2 pack paint

Squib, I have to disagree somewhat. First off, coated parts wear like iron and are so much more resistant to chipping than other finishes. Second, touching up powdercoat is as simple as feather sanding and respraying with conventional paints. So longer lasting, cheaper initial costs, easy as paint to touch up. I guess each can weigh in their experiences.

I had an imron paint job done a while ago. It scratches like any other paint,but is hard. My wheels held up great so far PC'd. I'm tired of the flat black though. I might go gloss next tire change. You don't need to wax PC. A little windex on a rag is all that's needed. A show like finish at close viewing? Paint. 5 ft away? PC
Steve-o

Yeah...anyone saying that PC can't look as good or better than paint has nooooooooooo idea what they are talking about...this is mirror black over the CHROME swingarm cap...done at home...for like cheap money!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 32
Here is a translucent powder over a chrome powder...over real chrome the piece would look lighter but "pop" harder...Once again done at home...Paint will work, but is going to be costly to get results like these...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 31
Back