powder coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4x6x6 oven, PID controller w/4 burners, 3 lights and blower plus a small under counter type oven next to it also run by the PID but no blower for small stuff.

Got it all minus the actual oven for a song including the gun. Only have $330 into it.

I'm going to screw up some cerakote tomorrow if it shows up.

We built the oven out of a set of square frame scaffolding. It's solid and was on big wheels. Makes it easy to store out of the way. Made the walls out of steel studs and 18g sheet with mineral wool insulation and hi temp wire from grainger.

After getting it all done I realized i should have made it crane accessible so i could load heavy things into it like truck/loader wheels and other things i cant pickup.

My son didn't have room for a powdercoating rig he bought last year, so he brought the mess over to my place. We've done a few things - and it's easy to screw up. We've gotten good results on less prominent things...think black kickstands and footpegs. He did a white pit bike frame that turned out nice (if you don't count some red flecks that must have still been in the gun after cleaning). I refused to allow the blast/spray operation in the shop, so it's in the shed out back

The oven IS in the shop and we dang near burned it down with the stupid thing. An old refrig somebody kludged a couple of heating elements into and wired it for 220. Works, but Sheesh. I rewired it and put a local breaker on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 47
I coated/stripped those scoops 4 times. you are right the smaller odd shaped stuff hides mistakes better and is easier to coat. I left the first manifold i did in the oven for the 15 min. time and it left 11d5hundred little pin holes.

I called my nephew who has some exp. with such things and he said take it out when the part is at cure temp. regardless of how long it's been in. That seems to work. The scoops we're actually two coats one at 60kv cooked to 275* cooled to 125* and a coat at 25kv until 392*.

kind of a chore but they look ok. Proper tape would help.

Last edited:
You MIGHT want to try and get any coating from the inner surface of the intakes removed. The fuel will strip that away and send it through the engine. It would eventually consume it but not before it could cause damage.

Looks great.

Myself I'm not a fan of non-flexible coating that in my experience tends to crack and peel off. Yes, I know if depends on the quality of the application.

Again, looks great!

You MIGHT want to try and get any coating from the inner surface of the intakes removed. The fuel will strip that away and send it through the engine. It would eventually consume it but not before it could cause damage.
i was wondering about that. i will remove it. i would have masked off the spigot and vflange but wasn't sure about using blue/green tape in the oven due to gasses from the glue. I have the correct tape on the way.

Looks great.

Myself I'm not a fan of non-flexible coating that in my experience tends to crack and peel off. Yes, I know if depends on the quality of the application.

Again, looks great!
my biggest driver for powder was exactly that. Paint tends to scratch, fade and discolors from gas, chemicals and degreasers. I could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time.

now that you mention it i wonder how durable it really is? I know a twisted wire wheel on a bench grinder has to work to remove it. It took a red roloc disc to clean the mating flanges off. tomorrow im going to do a piece of sheet metal and see how many times i can bend it before it cracks. It will be a powdercoating beat down!!!!!!

Last edited:
Man Dave, Those look great. What gun did you use?
Umm the white one? not really sure. I'll look tomorrow.

It all came from a friend who works at napa. him and another friend who works there decided they were going to start a powder coating buisness. So they bought everything they needed from caswell plating as well as several gallon cans of powder. as usual they didn't follow thru and two years later its for sale. they wanted $50 but the atm only gave me $20's so they got $60. Not bad for The gun,control boxand pedal, PID controller with blower control, four burners, light sockets and all associated probes and sensor. We built the oven and bought wire and insulation.

Man Dave, Those look great. What gun did you use?
I would think a harbor freight gun. but it has a built in regulator knob. so maybe an early harbor freight gun or the one they copied?

either way it works. as i get better at it i will probably find out isnt that good but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.4F7887E5-A871-4528-BAC6-D3D4BC1729B6.jpeg

Back