Quantcast

Power Commander 5 and Mileage

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

guysmax

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anybody show a photo of the afr map that they are using with a power commander v for gen 2 vmax. A dealer where I purchased the bike set the entire afr map at 13.2. Is there anywhere on the map that can be changed to a leaner afr setting. Thanks

Traumahawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anybody show a photo of the afr map that they are using with a power commander v for gen 2 vmax. A dealer where I purchased the bike set the entire afr map at 13.2. Is there anywhere on the map that can be changed to a leaner afr setting. Thanks
1st question, do you strictly have a PCV, or do you have an autotune as well? On the fuel table for the PCV, it is percentages of fuel.....so you can have a positive 10% of fuel......or even a minus 10% of fuel. If you have an autotune.....that really is the way to go. Then you tell it the A/F that you want........at a certain RPM and throttle percentage. (unfortunately I am at work, and so cant give you screen shots of everything). But.....65-80 on the highway will be between 15 and about 20% throttle position, as well as according rpm......so 3750 to 4500 rpm. So, instead of a percentage, you tell the autotune that you want a 14.0 to a 14.5 in area of that map that governs highway speeds, and it will adjust accordingly.

What I have HEARD, and I dont know the validity. a 1% change in fuel.....will give you a .1 difference in A/F. So a +5% in fuel would drop your present A/F .5......and vice versa. When I got the ECU reflashed......the pod 300 that I have on the handle bars was giving me an A/F of 15.8. Not too lean......but the bike was a little bit down on power. So if you get the bike too lean......you will know it.

So, if you dont have an autotune......do a -5% to -10%, in those areas, and see how the bike responds. I know on my bike with the autotune, it was adding 18, 19, and 20% extra fuel to get it from 15 down to the 13s.

This is a cool video on the autotune.

guysmax

Reaction score
Thanks traumahawk for your help. I do have auto tune and want to change my cruising speed afr numbers for better fuel economy and send those new numbers to my PCV. Then auto tune can do its thing using my new afr numbers. Thanks again

Traumahawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks traumahawk for your help. I do have auto tune and want to change my cruising speed afr numbers for better fuel economy and send those new numbers to my PCV. Then auto tune can do its thing using my new afr numbers. Thanks again
I currently have mine at 14.0 in those areas. I might go 14.2 or 14.5, and see if the bike likes it.

Traumahawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the power commander 5. I have a reflashed ECU, and I have a PCV to go on it, but havent gotten it installed yet, or tuned. I know that the PCV can be used to fine tune the fuel for max HP, but can it also be used to get the best MPG as well?

This is on a 2011.

Thanks
Just wanted to post up what Ive found. YES, using the PCV and Autotune, you can tune for HP at 100% throttle, and gas mileage at the 20% throttle range. Right now about 33 mpg at 75 and 80 with me an a PAX. Last Dyno was 185 hp and 119 lbs of torque under less than ideal conditions. It was 92 degrees, so a little bit warm in the dyno.....but not bad. There is still a little bit more in it, and have a few more things that I want to try.

One of the best things that I did was to set up the PCV for individual maps in the gears, instead of 1 map for every gear. The fuel requirements are different in each gear.

I do want to give a public shout out to Mark....Itgoes for allowing me to bounce ideas off of.

When people have said that i cant have the best gas mileage that a Gen 2 can make.....and HP.....why not?

Traumahawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have mine at 14.0 in those areas. I might go 14.2 or 14.5, and see if the bike likes it.
The trick is setting up the autotune for 14.7. According to Tim Nash, that is where the Gen 2 makes the best gas mileage
If you dont mind me asking, what did you ever find out? I can send you pics of what I currently have set up in the autotune.

Latest posts