Power loss, strong gas smell from exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennsVmax

Reaction score
Bought a 06 Vmax beginning of this year. Carbs were gummed up bad. Had Joe at Boxenstopp clean and adj carbs (4/1 Kerker pipe).

Have not gotten over 30 mpg in town or on road. Is this normal?

2nd issue. After riding the bike for 45 minutes it suddenly started running aweful. Felt like 50% power and strong smell of gas coming from exhaust pipe. Made it home. Ran it the next day and no problem, ran great.

Went on a few rides, no problems.

Rode to Daytona Sat and while at Daytona started running terrible again. about 50% power loss. Throughout rev range but more noticible at low revs where it would stall very easily. Strong gas smell from exhaust again.
No sign of gas dripping or leaking. Stopped and got a couple of gallons of gas, only needed 2 gal to top off. Restarted bike and it ran great all the way home, 1 hr ride.

Any ideas?

Check your plugs. What are you current carb settings? Test the plug wires and boots too.

The plugs are new. I will check and make sure the boots are secure.

No idea of carb settings but Boxenstopp specializes in V max repair and the bike ran great after he cleaned the carbs so I am pretty confident he did a good job on the carbs.

Glenn, it's possible something broke loose so check your fuel filter. If that's okay I would check ignition system.

instead, go by the local auto parts store and get a mr gasket or equivalent glass filter from the performance section. Get the 3/8" inlet/outlet version. Will be around $10-$12 or so and have replaceable elements.

Sean

I think I may have had this happen to me before as well. I stopped at a gas station and checked each plug and one was soaked. Just for good measure, I drained the bowl and tapped the appropriate carb. It started up and ran fine after that. My limited technical knowledge of carbs led me to assume that I had gotten a stuck float in that carb which was causing it to hemorrage fuel into the cylinder. But I don't know, Maleko, is this possible?

Intermittant stuck float valve has a vote from me as well - I've had it happen in the past.

I concur. Had the same problem - intermittent stuck needle valve(s).

Became less intermittent and more permanent too, and the reason was a rusty fuel tank sending fine rust dust into the carbs. Do yourself a favor - take a good look inside your fuel tank and let us know what you see..

Thought I read that someone had this same problem and found the fuel vent plugged and it sucked air when the gas cap was removed. Tank goes through a pressure then suction cycle. Just thinking out loud.

Have not gotten over 30 mpg in town or on road. Is this normal?

I was getting about 30 mpg after my pipes installation. I thought I screwed something up with the carbs when I was working on them. Found out the problem....mileage came back to 40 when I stopped twisting the throttle so hard!

"....mileage came back to 40 when I stopped twisting the throttle so hard!"

How'd you manage to stop doing that? I've been riding my Vmax over 25 years now, and am still to come up with a workable solution for that problem. hummmmm.........

Back