Power Steering

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

rocket

Reaction score
Hi all, Would just like to ask if there is such a thing as a Power Steering Kit for the VMAX?
Mine is a 1987 Model

MaxMidnight

Reaction score
Hi all, Would just like to ask if there is such a thing as a Power Steering Kit for the VMAX?
Mine is a 1987 Model
Never seen anything mentioned for a Max...but then I've never read of the availability of power steering for any m/c.
(As always, happy to be corrected)

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
MM, this guy must be from somewhere like your side of the pond. We had no '87 models here. Leftover '86 models were sold instead. The '88 model year came next.

Not sure what this guy is talking about. Maybe a steering damper? If not, check the aisle next to the blinker fluid or the Lucas smoke replacement containers.

Tom Determan

Reaction score
All Maxxes come equipped with power steering, but it doesn't work on dry pavement as the front end will lift. If you're on gravel, dirt, wet pavement or any poor traction surface, just twist the throttle as you turn the bars and it will power around so fast not many guys can control it. Dirt bike guys can do it cuz they were raised doing it......LOL

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there could be hydraulic rams for an outboard motor. Not a boater though I live in a great place for it. I used to have a catamaran which was a lot of fun.

Parminio

Reaction score
Most people that ride a Vmax don't realize there's a Yamaha Vmax boat motor and vice versa. I'm willing to bet he thought this was a forum for the outboard motor.

I only know about it because my good friend has one on his boat. His is the 125 HP model.

1642430508845.png

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies, the guy who said he could fit power steering to a VMAX was probably dreaming.
Here is a picture of my VMAX
I dunno why anyone except an upper-extremity amputee or someone with muscular degeneration would need such a thing, 'power steering on a motorcycle.' And in those cases, they probably don't belong on a motorcycle, because of a possible lack of adequate control. Yes, I'm sure there are a few people out there who use handicapped controls on a motorcycle, a trike, or a bike/sidecar. I think I've seen someone with a wheelchair on the back of a sidecar, and operating the bike from the sidecar, in pictures somewhere.