Preaching to the choir

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
...but to inject some Vmax content into the mix...I thought I'd offer up a couple of observations.

I have had many motorcycles in my life, Been lucky, but it is definitely a choice...something more than luck. I enjoyed pretty much every one of them (at least those I rode). I currently have 4.85 motorcycles operable. But, having ridden a 220 mile loop on Saturday (on the Valk) and then a chance to do a short run on the Vmax yesterday I had an epiphany.

Over the course of the last 45 years, riding my past bikes, my buddies' past bikes, current bikes, etc, I can only think of a couple that have given me as much riding pleasure at this VMax (previous VMax's not included but are a given).

1) '67 Norton P11
2) '73 Triumph Bonneville

Hmm. As interesting as these two that made this "pleasure" cut are a few that didn't: like the current '79 CBX, or two past ZL900 Eliminators. Or a Suzuki GS1000. Are they subpar machines. No, I don't think so. The CBX and Eliminators are rarer and, arguably, most likely draw more attention. But it runs deeper.

I think the common denominator in my "pleasure" list, which strangely includes two British machines is this. They are motorcycles, distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Nothing you don't need (scoops don't count and I always remove the silly plastic carb covers). The British machines, like the Vmax when running well, are fully one piece. Solid. Satisfying. When turning toward home, they make you want to detour rather than take the direct route.

I'm sure others have their own list, and I'd be curious to know if I'm nuts, but I'd really like to poke more into just what it is about this combination of steel and aluminum that Yamaha screwed together that sets it apart. Am I on the right track above?

What really pisses me off is that I sold my '94 in 2015 - and was 'Max-less for 5 years.

Wasted time.

...but to inject some Vmax content into the mix...I thought I'd offer up a couple of observations.

I have had many motorcycles in my life, Been lucky, but it is definitely a choice...something more than luck. I enjoyed pretty much every one of them (at least those I rode). I currently have 4.85 motorcycles operable. But, having ridden a 220 mile loop on Saturday (on the Valk) and then a chance to do a short run on the Vmax yesterday I had an epiphany.

Over the course of the last 45 years, riding my past bikes, my buddies' past bikes, current bikes, etc, I can only think of a couple that have given me as much riding pleasure at this VMax (previous VMax's not included but are a given).

1) '67 Norton P11

Hmm. As interesting as these two that made this "pleasure" cut are a few that didn't: like the current '79 CBX, or two past ZL900 Eliminators. Or a Suzuki GS1000. Are they subpar machines. No, I don't think so. The CBX and Eliminators are rarer and, arguably, most likely draw more attention. But it runs deeper.

I think the common denominator in my "pleasure" list, which strangely includes two British machines is this. They are motorcycles, distilled down to the lowest common denominator. Nothing you don't need (scoops don't count and I always remove the silly plastic carb covers). The British machines, like the Vmax when running well, are fully one piece. Solid. Satisfying. When turning toward home, they make you want to detour rather than take the direct route.

I'm sure others have their own list, and I'd be curious to know if I'm nuts, but I'd really like to poke more into just what it is about this combination of steel and aluminum that Yamaha screwed together that sets it apart. Am I on the right track above?

What really pisses me off is that I sold my '94 in 2015 - and was 'Max-less for 5 years.

Wasted time.
I had an 84 Honda V65 Magna that was like that.

I own 2 of my favorite bikes a 2003 Goldwing and a 2007 Vmax. The Goldwing is great at what it does but somehow takes away from the basic riding feel. I love long trips on it and enjoy hitting some back roads with it sometimes. The Goldwing handles great for it's size .
The Vmax is a true motorcycle, basic but has the heart of a beast. It is just a rush to ride, just raw power with no excuses. Even with all the bells and do dads on my other bike the Vmax is by far the most fun to ride.

Is the CBX just not comfortable enough ? or are there other things that come into play . I myself have rode the CBX only for an hr or so . Just wondering Thanks

Is the CBX just not comfortable enough ? or are there other things that come into play . I myself have rode the CBX only for an hr or so . Just wondering Thanks

Nah, it's plenty comfy enough with the Corbin seat and very desirable "sport kit" which lowers the bars and moves the pegs back. A now hard to find setup, unless you import it from Europe where they ALL got it. But, the CBX really only makes decent power when it's spinning pretty high. I don't mind that, but it's somehow just less "fullfilling" than Mr Max who happily pulls hard damn near from idle. (Sliiiight exaggeration, but I think that's the difference for me) The CBX is more high strung.

I enjoy my Vmax as well, I’ve had the v65 magna as well but just sounds to quiet for me. The one bike I really liked that I had was a 1200 Madura, it was very comfortable, had a nice rumble and was pretty quick. I had a nice 97 Vmax for about 12 years and had to sell it, it took about 5 years to finally get back on a Vmax. I’d like to get Gen 2 one day but I would like to keep my Gen 1 as well, to me there’s nothing like the look and sound of a Gen 1, just my opinion. Thanks.

I can see the point of the V-Max and it's pull on hp , seems like it never quits pulling . I noticed after I had stage 7 installed it pulled even harder . Only bike I liked almost equally was my ELR 1000 , not has powerful has the Max but still a fun bike in my past stable of bikes

I can see the point of the V-Max and it's pull on hp , seems like it never quits pulling . I noticed after I had stage 7 installed it pulled even harder . Only bike I liked almost equally was my ELR 1000 , not has powerful has the Max but still a fun bike in my past stable of bikes

Keep in mind that the "pleasure principle" I am referring to goes beyond just power although that's a huge part of it. It also has to do with how the bike feels. The Max has never been known as a superb handling bike, but unless you're pounding on it, you won't feel the wallow at speed in sweepers, or the winding and unwinding of the frame rolling on and off the power in twisties. Those are quirks. But, to me, the bike just feels like it's got its proverbial shit together. It doesn't surprise me with nonsense. Predictable, reliable, quick. sounds good, and has other intangible attributes that I just can't seem to articulate. I like it.

I also like the fact that hotrods of all type wanna piece of the action. On yesterday's ride, I noticed a nice modified SVT Lightning pulling up behind me. They "used" to be the king of the hill. (380HP 450TQ). Now they're pretty ordinary. Not this one. At the next light he pulled alongside and thumped the throttle. It settled back into a thick lope. Built. Shoot. Light turned green and I eased away. So did he. Twenty or thirty yards out he punched it. Caught me a bit off guard, but I managed to stay alongside then backed out pretty quickly. We were on the outskirts, but still the street. He was dang quick, but Mr. Max represented the breed in fine fashion. I love that stuff.

The young man was appreciative of the bike at the next light and listed a string of mods to the Ford. I'm lucky I stayed abreast I think.

But, that's the Vmax. A hooligan bike that oozes charisma. And invites trouble.

I've had my VMax 28 years, and still enjoy riding it. I bought it because I wanted a more-relaxed riding position than my FZR1000. I don't have any 'this-century' bikes, but the 1987 FZR1000 I bought a year-old, from a friend who bought it new. It has more-power than the VMax, and weighs 120 lbs less, so it accelerates well, and the cams it has, give it a 'VBoost-like' push. Japanese manufacturers have often tuned the first year's bike for top-end power, they did here. The next year they used cams which had a lot-more midrange, but which cost almost 20 HP on-top, it was something that the road testers said, "it's a better, more-usable bike with the stronger midrange." Of course, the high-speed handling and aerodynamics were much-better, with the wide-spar Deltabox aluminum frame, stout fork, and monoshock, and it was one of the first bikes from Japan to sport radials. My friend had a built '86 1000 Ninja, and my bike would run pretty-much dead-even to top-end. I still have it, next year it's eligible in Florida for an 'antique' motorcycle tag.

I never wanted to get rid of my V-Max but things happen , hopefully soon I can get another one . Set up for my riding style and weight , not sure if I want a 17" rear wheel or an 18" . Bike handled Great after setting up the suspension , caught many sportbike riders off guard , Stage 7 with a Kerker 4/2/1 . Just wish I had a bigger fuel tank otherwise I love the bike.

Here’s a pic of my 97 Vmax had stage 7 and kerker as well. I know there are a lot faster bikes, my brother has a zx14 which is pretty quick. The thing is when we ride together people are turning their heads to see the Vmax. My 89 has DW holeshot exhaust and it sounds just as good as the 97 with the kerker, both are head turners and both make the Vmax sound unbelievable to me. To me the Vmax is just an iconic muscle bike that everyone recognizes. I’m sure the zx14 would beat me but ya know what, I’ve got highway pegs and I can throw my feet on there and cruise on a sweet sounding bad ass Vmax.

Attachments

• 389CBE1D-62EC-4454-AF15-C94520206BE4.png
    389CBE1D-62EC-4454-AF15-C94520206BE4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I was just getting rid of some bike mags, and one had an article on the then-new, ZX-14, it turned a mid-nine second e.t. at 153 mph. That's well-over a second faster than a VMax, and the trap speed was faster than a VMax top-speed. However, the VMax was made essentially-unchanged for more years that Henry Ford made the Model T. It still rips, and the looks are what attracted me to it, besides the performance.

... My 89 has DW holeshot exhaust and it sounds just as good as the 97 with the kerker, both are head turners and both make the Vmax sound unbelievable to me.

Boy howdy ain't this truth! My 94 had the Kerker and I absolutely loved it. This 86 had the stock exhaust and I was looking for a full system. Thought about the Kerker, but didn't want to lose the center stand. Settled on the dale walker and I am so glad I did. To me, like Marauder3, it sounds just as good as the Kerker. I

For the record, I had to pull the center stand after all. Kept the tabs but had interference with the stand.

I had an 84 Honda V65 Magna that was like that.

I also had a 1984 V65 Magna that just fit like a glove. It felt light and confident and it sped up effortlessly. It seemed to read my mind. It was my "go to" bike.

For me, the Vmax experience is close behind, but the Vmax feels heavier and seems like riding a fat wild boar......and I love it! It's exhilarating.

I sold the V65 last fall, but I have a nice looking 1985 with a bad rod bearing waiting for my attention.

1) '67 Norton P11

Wasted time.
I have had many in my life,,but my 05 Max is not only a pleasure but riding it for me is a mystical and spiritual experience and has enriched my life,,and it is pure stock. :)

I remember my very first V-Max I bought in 85 and I loved the bike but I did have a problem . Here was this "beast of a bike" with a crappy horn but the main problem I had was it sounded like an oversized "Singer Sewing Machine" on steroids . Not gonna b.s. anyone I love a healthy sounding exhaust on a well tuned V-Max !

...and I am guilty of losing a couple of OEM exhausts. Even with all of those that have been removed and guys beginning to restore these bikes, original exhausts don't seem to fetch a lot of coin even now. Maybe it's exactly because they sound so danged good (and run better) with another setup.

Out of my 4 Vmax's past and present, only one still sports OEM exhaust. The 85 on the left. And my son dropped the bike onto a box o' stuff and dented it!
IMG_0814.jpg

Two previous Kerkers. The yellow '94 I installed, the flamed '85 purchased that way.
IMG_0315.JPG

I'm a bit biased but I think our Big Gun Muscle Marks looks good. And I KNOW it sounds good. Deepest tone you can get!

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 28
I agree with the ELR. I had #620 of 750 made. Rode that bitch so hard I broke the frame. The only bike I have ridden to it’s limits and still felt confident in. And yes, I didn’t change the shocks.... I’m 6’2” 180 so they worked for me.

Latest posts

Back