Preload adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
Ok, I know how the preload is adjusted on the front, (hate air preload adjustment, but at least it IS adjustable lol) but which nob on the shock is it for the preload on the back? The top or bottom? Also, should I adjust the rebound dampening when I have a passenger?

Bottom is for spring preload, top is for shock adjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The manual states that the settings for oem shock (preload and damping) should beset to the same value. I run 2 and 2 for a smooth ride. 3 and 3 is firm for me @ 220 lbs.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I do have custom fork preload adjusters that replace the stock caps if you want to actually have an ability to adjust the preload.

I attached the related pages from the owners manual.
Personally I run my shocks on 2 and 2 unless I am going to be running really hard in the twisties then I set the preload to 3.
I weigh around 180 lbs. and almost always ride solo.

Attachments

• Vmax-Rear-Shock-Adjustment.jpg
    Vmax-Rear-Shock-Adjustment.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Vmax-Rear-Shock-Settings.jpg
    Vmax-Rear-Shock-Settings.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
1997 VMX12J related:

One of my "front fork Preload adjusters" was a mess getting off; appeared someone superglued it on.

SO I need one.............. I'd like to find a pair of aftermarket ones that are adjustable BUT not by AIR.

ANY suggestions on where to get a Pair? Or if someone has "one" I'd buy it. THANKS!!!

Back