Preventing the dreaded second gear problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil sensor measures the level of oil in the oil pan (not oil pressure like most bikes).

During instances of exhilarating acceleration, the oil will be pushed toward the back of the oil pan, and the oil light will come on briefly- like a long flicker.

Nothing is wrong when this happens, just a quirky thing.

Some members jokingly claim you not riding the bike right if the oil light doesn't on- hence the 'ride it right' reference from Bill...meaning he is more responsible.

I just replaced my second gear and fixed the problem. It is a job but not bad. learned a few tricks along the way and have to thank Paul Civitello for his help with some short cuts. If you need help with information sometime in the future I would be glad to help!

I just replaced my second gear and fixed the problem. It is a job but not bad. learned a few tricks along the way and have to thank Paul Civitello for his help with some short cuts. If you need help with information sometime in the future I would be glad to help!
Heath is a good guy It was a pleasure to talk to him. He is also a mechanic, he needed a little help and I'm sure he'll help anyone else who has the same problem.
and P.S. in simple fast language don't beat on it and don't worry about it. If you beat on the transmission you'll round the drive dogs. The race bikes we have running in the 8s need to have the gears under cut once a season. And P.S.S synthetic oil in a V-max is a problem we recommend valvoline 20-W50 in the summer and 10-W40 in the winter if its good enough for our race bikes its good enough for the streets.

I know this conversation has been on here a thousand times but, with people like Sean and recently Mr, Civitello now I have to ask. What is wrong with the synthetic? I've used Golden Spectro for years and can't say there has been a problem. What do you see that we don't. I had the double d years ago in my 88 and just got sick of holding it at a stop light or traffic (Lake George) I've switched to a Barnett clutch and it seems to hold alright and way easier to hold at a stop. When the front wheel is in the air I'd say the clutch is holding right ,

The stock clutch design and frictions just don't seem to hold well with the synthetic oils we've tried (and many threads on here have valdiated).

Back