Prior service miltary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys are prior service military....I served in Uncle Sam's Air Force from 1984 to 1988 and was stationed at Edwards AFB in California. I would have stayed in had I not been given a medical discharge due to asthma....

US Navy - FT/FC 2nd Class - 1984-1988.
BE/E and FT/FC "A" School Instructor.
And to the other sailors here, before you say anything:
Yes, I was a Push Button Petty Officer. :punk:

US Army 319th Airborne stationed at Ft. Bragg 89-92. Landed in Saudi August 1990 with the 82nd. I was the line in the sand.

1984-2008 US Army... 19D... retired..... currently in Afghanistan (Jalalabad)

U.S. Air Force, currently stationed in Guam with the 554th RED HORSE Squadron. On Oct 19 I will have served 20 years and still have a few more in me. I've been to Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and every other minor or major skirmish I've been able to volunteer to go to.

none, but just wanted to say thanks to those who have posted, those who will and those who can't.

Nice to see that there are quite a few of us who served; were any of you guys required to wear those "road guard" vests?? Before I got out, there was talk about requiring motorcyclists who work on base(both civilian and military) to wear those high visibility vests....

Nice to see that there are quite a few of us who served; were any of you guys required to wear those "road guard" vests?? Before I got out, there was talk about requiring motorcyclists who work on base(both civilian and military) to wear those high visibility vests....

I am a civilian contractor and spend a lot of time on military installations for all branches. Currently, based on the people I have talked to, they are only required to have a reflective band (similar to the ones they make the new recruits wear in basic while doing PT around some of the bases) however this policy seems to be subjective depending on the installation commander or some other superior. My brother who is active duty has to wear a full neon vest (similar to a road construction getup, but in neon yellow) when he rides on base at Fort Gordon.

Summary... it depends.

To all those who served or are currently serving, thank you!

US Army - Dec 1965 thru Dec 1968.

Basic and AIT Ft Polk, LA.
Artillery (M-42 Duster) Ft Bliss, TX and MacGregor Range in the New Mexico desert...
Adjutant Generals Office Ft Bliss...

No rules on riding back then. Not even a helmet. Had a 1966 Yamaha 250 Big Bear, 1967 Honda 160 Scrambler, 1968 Yamaha DT1 250, the first Japanese enduro.

During that time (about 1967) Texas implemented its first mandatory helmet law.

Last edited:
At Ft.Bragg in 1990-92, I had to wear a full reflective vest. I had a Nighthawk 650. Loved that bike!! It is all I had so sleet or rain, I road that bike. Still remember riding to PT at 5am absolutely freezing my ass off in the winter. :biglaugh:

Served from 1988-1992, Gulf war Vet, disabled and still filling the affects of that time frame. 20 jobs later and finally have found a place I can call home, here on Ft. Bragg I am at piece. 97 vmax, and my 2012 Gen 2 Vmax. Living the Dream.

USAF, 1972-1979
South East Asia - Long Term Electronic Surveillance of the Ho Chi Mihn Trail for Linebacker II.
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain Complex - WWICCS, BMEWS, Space Defense.
Keesler AFB, Master Instructor, Advanced Mobile Combat Computer Systems.

I got out because the work and clearance I'd done and had ended my possibility of overseas duty. I was offered a rotation between NORAD, Keesler AFB or Hawaii. Toilet paper was a dollar a roll in Hawaii not to mention everything else. So, I got out and went to work as an Engineer for Smiths Aerospace. I'm still involved with supporting the military through the work I currently do. Weapons Systems Test and Evaluation.:confused2:

No military service here either, but have 2 brothers and my step father who served in the US Army, Thank you everyone for your service to our country!!.........You'll always have my respect!!.......................Tom.

USAF 1990-1996. I loved the Air Force, but career wise I unfortunately metaphorically shot myself in the foot and promotion/advancement was going to be slim and slow so I got out. I miss it.

U S Navy, 1979 till 2000, retired ATC ( AW ) Aviation Electronics Tech Chief. Loved it, was plannig on staying even longer but another cruise popped up...Skipper volunteered us, didn't want to leave the family again...dropped the papers.

Latest posts

Back