Problem with idle after Factory Pro install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
Just put a Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit on my VMAX, 4 into 1 Kerker, I went with the 152.5 mains, needles 2 clicks from the top. Throttle response is good, are these the correct settings?

Last edited:
Hey John,

I assume you've done your carb sync, right?

To me it sounds like something's been left loose in the carbs, or maybe a spring's badly seated or missing, hence when you lay it on its side it goes off. Maybe a slide spring?

It's almost always been either, carb sync, binding linkage, or a vacuum leak every time I've had a similar issue.

Come to think of it, my airbox was a biatch to get attached to the top of the carbs, it was in poor shape, trying to source another one. If the airbox "popped off! :ummm:

Last edited:
That sounds like your carbs are not seated fully and there is something that is physically allowing your carb to move about 1-2mm in movement. To verify this, loosen up your throttle cable to give you about 3/4 of an inch of play on the grip, instead of the normal 1/4 inch of play, then sit on the seat. If you have more play in the cable, it should lessen or remove the effect when the carb body is moved. Either way, it sounds like a physical change going on.. UNLESS, your seat is pinching the fuel line.

Come to think of it, my airbox was a biatch to get attached to the top of the carbs, it was in poor shape, trying to source another one. If the airbox "popped off", maybe the right hand 2 carbs, wouldn't this cause the idle to fluctuate??? :ummm:

Probly not, are you sure the carbs were seated properly? Can you move them at all by pushing on the slide covers? Good idea on loosening up the cables too.

Hate to admit this but back about 1998 or 99 I did some carb work on my 95 Max and when re-installing the caps on one of the carbs the slide spring must have popped out when I looked away. Bike wasn't running right. The slide on that carb must have been sticking a little. A day or so later I found the spring on the garage floor. I had run over it and it was ruined. After installing a new spring, everything was fine.

Reason I mentioned this is if leaned over the slide without a spring would have more of a tendency to stick. Actually any problem with a spring could cause a problem. (Kinked, etc) Just an idea.....

Instead of 4K upright, it's now 1K upright and sounds good. Set it on the kickstand and about 30 seconds later, it will die. Turning up the idle seems to compound the problem, if I set it high enough so it won't stall, it's 4K upright. Craziness. Making progress, but slowly.

Going by your description, I'm wondering if a damaged carb float that is being drowned, when leaning to the left, or being drained on the right, could create this symptom. If this is the case, I would think the float valve would have to be in a stuck closed position or you would see gas peeing out of the carb. Maybe that little wire on the end of the float valve jammed on the adjustment plate. Causing two things to happen at once.. Valve stuck in the closed position, and making your float sink below its natural buoyancy level, flooding the bowl.

Latest posts

Back