Procedure on lowering blocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
1" Schedule 80 PVC (Comment from 88VMX12 {Scooter} - I found that sch 80 PVC is just a bit too big in diameter to fit in my forks. I have an 1988 and used an electrical conduit PVC pipe)
You have to subtract the length of the lowering blocks from your preload
spacers.
PCW lowering blocks are hard plastic pipe.
Dimensions are:
30mm......long
32mm......diameter
3mm......wall thickness
26mm......internal diameter
1) Remove the tubes from the yokes.

2) Undo the damper rod, but DONT full remove - 10mm Hex key in the bottom of the fork leg, you may need an impact wrench and/or a damper rod tool.

3) Remove top of fork leg (watch the spring), drain oil, invert leg remove spacer tube, washers and spring. Note the order they come out in.

4) Remove damper rod bolt and damper rod, you may need to shake a bit (the fork leg not you) or push a thin rod through the hole at the bottom of the leg where the hex bolt went. The damper rod and a small (about 1") spring should come out.

5) Cut a piece off the spacer tube (that you removed in step 3). The length should be equal to the amount you would like to lower the front end. A plumbing tube cutter is the cheapest and neatest tool for this. Make sure you cut exactly the same amount from the spacer tube in each fork leg. You now have two short spacers (about 1" or
less) and the two original spacers are about an inch or so shorter (obviously the exact amount depends on the amount you want to lower)

6) Thread new short spacer onto damper rod then add rebound spring. Reinstall in fork leg.

7) Reassemble, in reverse order to step 3. Using the now shorter spacers.
It is also recommended to use heavier oil (20w) and no air with this set up.

The lowering blocks prevent the fork slider or outer tube from dropping that extra distance (length of the lowering block) at the bottom of it's stroke.

i am a new vmax owner and new to this forum. i read on-line that i could lower the front end 1 1/2 inches by sliding forks up in the triple trees. but when i went to try it i noticed a brace/air line between the two fork just under the trees. can that be moved and if so how.

i am a new vmax owner and new to this forum. i read on-line that i could lower the front end 1 1/2 inches by sliding forks up in the triple trees. but when i went to try it i noticed a brace/air line between the two fork just under the trees. can that be moved and if so how.

the newer (93+) don't have that crossover and can only be done with those.

your best option would be to get a progressive internal lowering kit and drop it 1 or 2" internally, and then you don't need air pressure anymore and could actually eliminate that crossover by welding (jb weld even) the holes shut.

that sucks i have a 1990. how is the cross over attached to the fork. will it just slide off?

They just slide off...there is also a circlip under the crossover to prevent it from going lower, I left mine on and the dropped in the trees 1 inch.

that sucks i have a 1990. how is the cross over attached to the fork. will it just slide off?

Still confused about homemade blocks

After testing 1"pvc ,electrical or otherwise, all outside diameters seem the same =1.31, or about 1/16 too large to fit into older style 40mm forks. Are people shaving a little bit down to get it to fit?

If I drop down to 3/4 pipe then schedule 80 is to small to fit over damper rod, which leaves me with schedule 40, but I would rather use the larger of the two for strength.

What am I missing :ummm:

I usually use the springs but a spacer of about any material will work. I've even seen thickwall brass used.

Sean

the newer (93+) don't have that crossover and can only be done with those.

your best option would be to get a progressive internal lowering kit and drop it 1 or 2" internally, and then you don't need air pressure anymore and could actually eliminate that crossover by welding (jb weld even) the holes shut.

LOWERING Kit like this one?
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1462/fork-lowering-kit

i had already purchased the springs months ago, but would like to lower an inch... is it possible to find just the other stuff needed?

Have you dropped the tubes in the tree's at all? I just had a the 2" lowering spring kit installed (I got it from Sean) and dropped the forks a little over an inch in the tubes for a total of 3" lower in the front. It's working out great for me. You'll be warned not to drop them to far in the tree's to avoid the lower front fender from hitting the radiator. I weigh about 240 and at 40 mph I stabbed that front brake into an instant front tire lockup and my fender did not make contact at all.

Have you dropped the tubes in the tree's at all? I just had a the 2" lowering spring kit installed (I got it from Sean) and dropped the forks a little over an inch in the tubes for a total of 3" lower in the front. It's working out great for me. You'll be warned not to drop them to far in the tree's to avoid the lower front fender from hitting the radiator. I weigh about 240 and at 40 mph I stabbed that front brake into an instant front tire lockup and my fender did not make contact at all.

I haven't changed anything a bit. I just know they need to get rebuilt so i got all the parts OEM and also got prorgressive springs. haven't installed or done anything

Latest posts

Back