Progressive 412 Series. Opinions and Help buying

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxls

Reaction score
Thanks in advance! Asking too many questions below!

I am thinking about upgrading my shocks but a low budget so the 412 series are in my price range. What are your opinions on these shock compared to the OEM's?

Any suggesstions on whether I should stick with stock 13" size or go lower and how much? 11.5"? 12"?

Also any help regarding where I could purchase them for the Max? Links?

The cheapest price I found was below, but can I buy them, or do I need to buy a model specific for the Vmax, meaning are they standard plug and play?

**Also I like the ones in the link below, FULL COVER and in BLACK (although chrome shown in pic)

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=412-4046B

I put 12.5" 412's on my bike and they are a big improvement over stock.Big time when riding 2 up.My rear tire does not bounce like a basketball anymore under emergancy braking either like it did with stock shocks.

I bought mine from Gary Mccoy for $180 at university motors with my discount.

shawn kloker said:
I put 12.5" 412's on my bike and they are a big improvement over stock.Big time when riding 2 up.My rear tire does not bounce like a basketball anymore under emergancy braking either like it did with stock shocks.

I bought mine from Gary Mccoy for $180 at university motors with my discount.

Man that is really a good price I wonder how they compare with works shocks for $525.

the rear does not bounce because you have a shorter tire in the back and not from the shocks especially if you have an 18 front! anything is an improvement over the stock shocks
________
Ford Escape Hybrid specifications

Last edited:
vmaxls said:
Thanks in advance! Asking too many questions below!

I am thinking about upgrading my shocks but a low budget so the 412 series are in my price range. What are your opinions on these shock compared to the OEM's?

Any suggesstions on whether I should stick with stock 13" size or go lower and how much? 11.5"? 12"?

Also any help regarding where I could purchase them for the Max? Links?

The cheapest price I found was below, but can I buy them, or do I need to buy a model specific for the Vmax, meaning are they standard plug and play?

**Also I like the ones in the link below, FULL COVER and in BLACK (although chrome shown in pic)

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvScreen=PROD&Product_Code=412-4046B

Stick with the 13 inch stock length and that is because you might eventually want to put radials / 17 inch rear wheel which will lower the bike significantly! lowering the bike affects handling big time, a low bike is great for drag racing but handling is bad in all other riding situations, it becomes like a wrestling match.
I think progressive has a good reputation and for that price/ (pair I hope) is worth trying anything is better than stock shocks.
________
Turbine Car

Last edited:
From the mouth of the lion!
(Stay with stock length. Travel is 3.9" total. If you shorten it 1.5",
that leaves 2.4". Now with sag of 1/3 of travel, that leaves 1.6" of
travel. Its your back. Don "Old Man" Smith #2)
Any more questions? this was taken from another site as is.
________
Ferrari F92A specifications

Last edited:
I went with the 11.5" 412's and like'em...but only after lowering the front an equal amount...

With 'em set stiff (midway) and about 6psi in the front I have not had any handling issues and it was an improvement over stock.....

Just my experience on my bike tho' as I know others have had different experiences....

wfcall said:
I went with the 11.5" 412's and like'em...but only after lowering the front an equal amount...

With 'em set stiff (midway) and about 6psi in the front I have not had any handling issues and it was an improvement over stock.....

Just my experience on my bike tho' as I know others have had different experiences....
Same here. 1 1/2" in front and 2" in back. Wouldn't have it any other way. Like the way it looks and handles, no matter who says what.

Back