Progressive 412's better than stock shocks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg-5386

Reaction score
My 96vmax has 30k on it with the stock shocks. Would a pair of used progressive 412's with less than 4k on them be better if that's all I can afford at this time?

I replaced my stockers with only 6000 miles on them with new 412s and it was a very nice upgrade. The bike now actually absorbs the bumps, instead of bouncing off them.

It would be an improvement, just make sure the used ones you are buying aren't leaking. One of my 412s developed a leak about a year after purchase. Progressive did replace it free of charge though.

If they were the ones on eBay, they went for about $129, I hope it was you that got them. I bid but I just didnt have the money right now or I'd have them.

It was the ones on ebay. Since they were coming from Canada the shipping would have been $44 so I bid my highest bid but did not win. For $75 more I could get a new pair from Sean so at the price they went for + shipping it was not worth it. I would rather have new ones and perhaps I'll get the 440's from Sean when I get some cash together. I have an issue to solve with my 96 now. I just put a pair of new shinkos on the bike and I notice that I'm really fighting to stay in a straight line on the highway when it's windy. I did not notice this on my semi worn out bridgestones. It's borderline scary. There is no wobble at all at any speed it just feels like I'm fighting the handlebars a lot. I have 36lbs in the rear and 33lbs in the front. The tires look fine so maybe it's something else. I am going to take off the stock windshield I ride with to see if it improves. Perhaps the mechanic who changed my tires threw something out of whack? Or maybe this is the first few times I've ridden in gusts on the vmax and it's a new experience for me? Either way I don't like it. Perhaps it is a combination of things. I am going to do Sean's "bounce" test and give the bike a good looking over. Any suggestions would be welcomed. The bike is a 96 with stock suspension and 30k miles.

Any installation tips? What are all these bushings/spacers/washers for? Adjust before or after installing?
My 440's did not need any spacers and used 2 washers per shock(on the outside so the nut will hold it). As for the spacer find the bushing that fits the shock post with no play, slip off and then into the shock "eyes" and carefully slide both top and bottom on simultaneously. Do one shock at a time.
I did it by myself but it may be easier with a extra set of hands to wiggle the swingarm to facilitate the bushing sliding onto the shock posts.
here is a pic of my left lower shock mount:
IMG_0425.jpg

Yeah the 412's were a good shot if you could get them. They looked to be in good shape. Buying a new set & shipping would still be $100 more than they went for w/shipping. If you don't have the $$ for a set of 418's or 440's, those would be an inexpensively alternative.

Sean quoted me $215 & shipping for 412's but check w/him, maybe he got a closeout lot or something.

As to your tires, check the mold lines and their relationship to the wheel rim, maybe the bead is not completely seated.

sdt354 is selling a stock pair for $30 in the ads, if you have a blown one or something, check it out, maybe it can keep you going until you can upgrade.

412's are better than stock, but JUST. 418 or higher is recommended. I has the 412's and now have the 440's and the 440's are MUCH MUCH better.

Chris

Put on my 412s. SUPER easy. I hope they work, they actually look a little less substantial than the stockers. I also liked the black spring on the stock too...

I had my 412s dechromed and powder coated black just for that reason. My 440s came all black.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

My 440's did not need any spacers and used 2 washers per shock(on the outside so the nut will hold it). As for the spacer find the bushing that fits the shock post with no play, slip off and then into the shock "eyes" and carefully slide both top and bottom on simultaneously. Do one shock at a time.
I did it by myself but it may be easier with a extra set of hands to wiggle the swingarm to facilitate the bushing sliding onto the shock posts.
here is a pic of my left lower shock mount:
View attachment 21107

Just installed my 412s yesterday, and love them. Just wanted to verify though, i also put on all 4 smaller washers (2 on each side) but was wondering if you put the upper washer BETWEEN the special bolt-cap-retainer deal and the shock, which is what i did. Thanks

Back