Progressive Fork Springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npthayer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 98' Vmax and after putting 500 miles on her, I want to upgrade the fork springs to Progressive's.

I would like to lower the front end about an inch, so is it better for me to buy the lowered fork springs kit and lower it an inch or buy the original progressive springs and lower it via the triple tree?

I would like to replace the fork seals as well, is there anything else that I would need to replace? Where abouts can I buy them from?

There is probably already a thread posted like this but I can't find it :confused2:

I used the regular springs and dropped it down in the triple tree.

I also went with Progressive 412 12.5" shock in the rear.

I can supply everything but I'm sure you'll get replies on that. I would suggest the spring/lowering kit combo and lower it internally (especially if you are putting new seals in). The spring/lowering kit would run $100 shipped (direct from my warehouse). The seals would be $45 with inner oil and outer dust seals and shipping (from me).

Unless you are over say 50K miles i wouldn't worry about replacing much else. Sometimes if they have been leaking you may need to replace the retaining wire locks but most of the time they are just fine to reuse.

We also suggest BG synthetic fluid to fill it back up with. It's expensive but much better stuff. BG part number 334: http://www.bgprod.com/products/steering.html

There are a few HOW TO vids on here in the Morleys Muscle section as well as youtube and the Morleys Muscle facebook site.

Dropping the forks in the triple does also work but keep in mind with the full travel a very hard bump will let the lower section of the front fender contact the radiator. Usually this is not a problem at all with just 1" lowering. By lowering it internally you reduce the amount of suspension travel (they have too much anyway).

Sean Morley

npthayer: Welcome to VMF. Sean (one2dmax) had a set already done that he exchanged out with me. They were bolt on easy and really work great. Just a thought.

I used the regular springs and dropped it down in the triple tree.

I also went with Progressive 412 12.5" shock in the rear.

Did you go with the Standard or Heavy-Duty for the rear?

I can supply everything but I'm sure you'll get replies on that. I would suggest the spring/lowering kit combo and lower it internally (especially if you are putting new seals in). The spring/lowering kit would run $100 shipped (direct from my warehouse). The seals would be $45 with inner oil and outer dust seals and shipping (from me).

Unless you are over say 50K miles i wouldn't worry about replacing much else. Sometimes if they have been leaking you may need to replace the retaining wire locks but most of the time they are just fine to reuse.

We also suggest BG synthetic fluid to fill it back up with. It's expensive but much better stuff. BG part number 334: http://www.bgprod.com/products/steering.html

There are a few HOW TO vids on here in the Morleys Muscle section as well as youtube and the Morleys Muscle facebook site.

Dropping the forks in the triple does also work but keep in mind with the full travel a very hard bump will let the lower section of the front fender contact the radiator. Usually this is not a problem at all with just 1" lowering. By lowering it internally you reduce the amount of suspension travel (they have too much anyway).

Sean Morley

Ya, I figure if I'm going to replace the seals I might as well go with the lowered spring kit. The bike only had 6,500 miles on her when I bought it, so I didn't think there should be anything to replace other than the seals, just wasn't sure.

I'm new to the site but have read that everbody highly recommends buying from you, so as soon as I get some cash saved up, you will be hearing from me. The mod monkey has been kicking my ass lately :biglaugh:

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 98' Vmax and after putting 500 miles on her, I want to upgrade the fork springs to Progressive's.

I would like to lower the front end about an inch, so is it better for me to buy the lowered fork springs kit and lower it an inch or buy the original progressive springs and lower it via the triple tree?

I would like to replace the fork seals as well, is there anything else that I would need to replace? Where abouts can I buy them from?

There is probably already a thread posted like this but I can't find it :confused2:

If money isn't an issue, I would go ahead and do the progressive internal lowering kit along with changing out the seals. As noted, Sean aka one2dmax, can supply you with all your needs!

Did you go with the Standard or Heavy-Duty for the rear?

I only weigh 170lbs and rarely ride double, so I went with standard. That said, I run the preload on the 2nd stiffest notch, as I like a firm ride. If I were to order again I would go for the heavy duty setup.

Not trying to steal the thread, but I too am looking at replacing the springs. My question is, I want to go with a set of Carrozzeria wheels 18" along with radials. Do you suggest still dropping the front 1"? How about the rear shock length?

I'm going to order the anti-flex frame braces as well. I want to get the suspension taken care of first, before ordering my wheels and tires. I just want to set it up for the new wheels.

Thanks, Shane

Back