Progressive front springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmann

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Progressive front springs on their 1st gen VMax and was it worth it? Thanks.

I have......and I think it's very worth it. If your gonna ride aggressively. ..or brake aggressively. ....you will love it.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Absolutely !
I installed the stock length Progressive fork springs (11-1144 -1993 - 2007) with 10 wt. Maxima Racing Fork Fluid and the difference from stock is amazing.
I weigh around 180 lbs., most guys over 200 lbs. tend to like 15 wt. fluid better.
My bike is much smoother at highway speeds (I can actually see what's in my mirrors at 60-80 mph now) and they tighten up quickly in the curves.
Also brake dive is virtually eliminated.

I attached a picture of the Progressive and Stock Springs so you can see the difference.

Attachments

• Progressive_vs_Stock_Springs_Comparison.jpg
    Progressive_vs_Stock_Springs_Comparison.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 75
Try running air pressure in your forks first if you have none, you can go up to 14 psi & will notice a lot less brake dive. Use what pressure you need to lessen the diving on hard braking, according to your riding style.

I did and lowered an inch while I was at it. Yes, I think it was worth it. Not too hard to do and a great time to replace wheel and steering head bearings while it's apart.

Matt

I have a set of stock length sitting on the shelf along with a set of seals, waiting for winter when I pull the bike down to install them. After what I have read I'm excited to install them and wait several months to try them out!

I picked them up NIB from an Ebay seller for $73 shipped and got the OEM seals from Morley. There is a great how-to vid on Youtube also.

... and unless someone corrects me, the closely packed coils sit at the top to reduce unsprung weight.

I was looking at fitting a set ut my problem (front end clunk over speed bumps) was due to I correct air pressure, since fixed by fitting 0-30 psi gauge to a shock pump so I can set pressure accurately).

I think the Mechanic is planning on 15W fork oil. Any reason to have him go with something else? I'm around 175#

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back