progressive spring install then fork seal leaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecifer

Reaction score
Hi I have a fork seal leak after I installed progressive springs and was wondering if I did something wrong or if just a coincidence? I pulled forks out completely so I could measure the fork oil but did not change the synthetic power steering fluid I was using for fork oil. I measured down from top of forks with them compressed and it came out to about 5" Sean's video said to measure down to 4.8" but the progressive spring instructions said no more than 5.5". The first time out to check out how the springs felt I went for about a 20min. ride when I got home there was oil all over the left fork. Did I put to much oil in causing the seal to blow? I have new seals coming and don't want to blow these out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Plus I used the pvc spacer and it is a lot thicker than stock metal one maybe it takes up more room requiring less fluid?

I installed progressives with the PVC as well and the 4.8" measurement will not cause a leak. If you reused your seals there is a good chance you nicked one of your seals that is causing the leak. My last issue was that I kinked the small spring that is inside the main seal and it blew out in 500 miles. Just wait for your new seals if you can because having a dead fork on one side is not fun when it takes you by surprise.

^ same here, I replaced my fork seals when I installed my Stock length Progressive Springs.
I used the PVC Spacer (cut down slightly per the Progressive instructions) and used Maxima Racing Fork Fluid at 4.8" down from the top of the forks with no air.
My seals haven't leaked since and the bike felt 100% better than with the stock springs.

PS
Here's the spacer length supplement for the stock length Progressive springs.
9.37 inches = 9-3/8"

Attachments

• Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    Progressive-Spacer-Length-Suppliment-Vmax-.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back