Progressive Springs Stock Height

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_juistice

Reaction score
I just ordered some stock height progressive fork springs for my 97. Will I notice much of a difference over the stock springs? How much better is the progressive lowering kit vs the stock height progressive springs?

Progressive springs are a night and day difference from the stock ones. The stock ones are simply way too soft.
I've never used any lowering kit, I have standard length, but I added Ricor Intimators and that made my front end much better. With the Intimators you use 5W fork oil, they are like cartridge emulators which make the damping WAY better.
Before I had the Intimators, I used 15W oil with the prog springs (instead of the stock 10W) and that helped making the front a little stiffer which I preferred (for my weight around 200lbs fully suited).
If you want to lower the bike a little (I don't like that because I prefer ground clearance) you can always slide the fork tubes up in the triple trees - up to an inch is very common.

Springs are identical with both progressive kits. The lowering kit includes extra dampening springs to lower the forks internally (the best way to lower it).

Sean

Recently fitted Progressives to a friend?s bike and as indicated above he noticed a world of difference.

Take the trouble to set the Static Sag as this (IMHO) is the icing on the cake.

We took 16mm off the spacers which I thought was not going to be enough by my fried was happy with the results.

I have the stock length Progressive brand springs in my 2000 with 10 wt. Maxima racing fork fluid and the difference from the soft stock springs is amazing.
The Progressive springs are much smoother on the highway (I can actually see what's in my mirrors now), virtually eliminate brake dive and tighten up really well in the curves.
PS
I do have my forks raised up 1/2" in the triples to quicken up the steering/turn-in though.
I had them up 1" until I installed a radiator cover and the front fender scraped so I lowered t.hem 1/2"

Big difference. Especially if the old tat is tired. Side by side on a garage bench you already feel they will be better before you even fit them. Well worth doing. Night and day change when fitted

Hi Sean..i installed Wirth brand(Germany) progressive springs on my94' Vmax..can i still install Racetech emulators or i will have lenghth issues..
Any advise would be deeply appreciated..
Mario

Just to clarify, I'm not the Sean you addressed. You can use the emulators. Just need to cut from your spacers the length of the emulator...simple add one thing, remove from elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back