Proper rear spring rate for Progressive 440's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneksoldier

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I got a set of Progressive 440's for the rear of the '94. Got a sweet deal on them from Kyle here on the forum. I installed the set and HOLY SHIT! are they ever stiff. It's like riding my '57 Pan hardtail. With the wife on back, they are perfect. The spring preload adjuster is at the softest position with a spring rate of 140/200. Does anyone have any experience with playing around with the spring rates on these shocks? I do know that the 412 springs will interchange with the 440 and are available in several different rates. I was leaning toward the 105/150 rate. It would be helpful to know what the rate is on the 412hd version if anyone has that info.

Thanks,
Dusty

after some research and cross-reference, I found that the regular rate is 105/150 and the hd rate is 120/170. I already have a pair of the regular rate springs on another set of shocks. I had to take those off because they were too soft. Looks like 120/170 would be the better option. Any input would be great, thanks.

Just in case anyone ever wanted to know...

The progressive 412(non-hd, p/n: 412-4207C, 412-4212C) in a 12.5" to 14.25" length all take the same spring with a rate of 105/150 (spring p/n: 03-1368C). The 412(hd, p/n: 412-4214C, 412-4218C) in the same lengths uses a spring with a rate of 120/170 (spring p/n: 03-1365C). The Shorter lengths use an entirely different spring for obvious reasons. If you need more specifics, particularly for the shorter shocks that I did not list, there is a little bit of info in their site, but it definitely does not show all of the options available for every bike. The data sheet will help you determine which spring rate you have by showing which spring comes with which p/n shock assembly. Hope this helps someone else out...

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/7100-105.pdf

A good reference. I was on their site re entry but did not see that. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, it's pretty handy for determining what you have and helping you make an educated guess on where to go from there if you need a change. Springs are much cheaper than entire shock assemblys especially when you are talking about the higher end units. Pretty easy to change too.

I just got a PM from Kyle. Top-notch vendor and all-around great guy. The world is definitely in short supply of people like him. He offered to get me the springs I wanted since I wasn't happy with the other ones. Totally not his fault, but willing to go the extra mile to make my ride better. Awesome! Thanks, bro.

So if I'm looking at getting progressive rears for my 85, mostly ride by myself on twisties and freeways, and i weigh 165. Suggestions please? Oh yeah, I'm fine with stock length, and i already put progressive front fork springs in when i rebuilt the front end

That is all relative to which shocks you plan to get. The spring rates are matched with the damping characteristics of the shock. If you plan to go with the 440, I can offer this advice: Being a lighter rider, you may want the 105/150 rate spring. Bear in mind that there are only two spring rates made specifically for the vmax: standard (105/150) and heavy duty (120/170) and that may depend on which shocks you want. If you have a short shock with a long spring there will be more preload, so you will need a lighter rate. Also, if you change the spring on the stock shocks, you will have gained nothing as the damping characteristics are the real gain with progressive shocks.

I was looking at getting the 412's, pn 412-4212C . Is there a black variant of this one instead of chrome btw?

couple of members here told me to save my coins and get better progressive shocks than the 412's so I listened couldn't really justify the 444's price but I did get the 430's man let me tell you so worth the money they are the middle line with progressive shocks so I bet the 444's are badask... But I do love the 430's plus the 430's and the 444's are lifetime warranty the 412's are only a year warranty so think the extra change was worth it.. Just my two cents any are better than stock.... But the old saying always goes you get what you pay for....Good luck what ever progressive shock you chose you'll be happpy...

I was looking at getting the 412's, pn 412-4212C . Is there a black variant of this one instead of chrome btw?
Yes, just remove the "c" (chrome) from the part number and substitute a "b" and search for them that way.
You may want to check out vmaxrooky's comments because the lifetime warranty is as good as gold. I have a set of 440's that were leaking, more like seeping, I sent them back which they replaced the shocks and the slightly sun faded top caps with new parts all for no charge. I did have to pay for shipping back to them, not a bad deal at all!:punk:

Yes, just remove the "c" (chrome) from the part number and substitute a "b" and search for them that way.
You may want to check out vmaxrooky's comments because the lifetime warranty is as good as gold. I have a set of 440's that were leaking, more like seeping, I sent them back which they replaced the shocks and the slightly sun faded top caps with new parts all for no charge. I did have to pay for shipping back to them, not a bad deal at all!:punk:

Never knew that they have a lifetime warranty. Good to know. Btw: the 440's are pretty awesome. From my understanding the 444 is the same functionality just a different look.

Latest posts

Back