Protecting Fork Tubes & Best Brake Pads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybergrizzly

Reaction score
Have a 1998 Vmax and live in the tropics.

A. Is there anything that I can install or apply to the fork tubes to protect them against dirt or rust or both? I know there are some weird wrap-around protectors but they do not look good (my taste). Options are:

1. I am tempted to apply a thin coat of fork oil to help keep them oiled and protected, but I am afraid that it will collect more dirt from the road and create more damage to the seals than actually protect the fork tubes.

2. Might just wash the fork tubes and leave them as they are.

B. Regarding the brake pads, what are the recommeded brands ...OEM or what other.

Thanks,

EBC HH are what I use Front and Rear and I love them.
Some people like the Kevlar (Organic) Rear Pads though.
I never do anything to my fork tubes except clean them after ever few rides.

Talk to morley about pads he will get you all set and shipped, I'm sure he has what u need ins tock

It would be pretty difficult to come up with a DIY fork coating that would be anywhere near as effective as the OEM Yamaha clear coat.

Well, maybe some clear film like Scratch-ex or Bug Shield, but I don't know how well they hold up, plus the fork contours would make it nearly impossible to apply wrinkle-free.

I was thinking the lower tubes but if you are talking about the uppers then Steve-o's idea is probly the best, a light wipedown with WD40, and make sure the seals are replaced as needed, fork oil residue will grab dirt which will ruin the seals and slides quickly.

Have a 1998 Vmax and live in the tropics.

A. Is there anything that I can install or apply to the fork tubes to protect them against dirt or rust or both? I know there are some weird wrap-around protectors but they do not look good (my taste). Options are:

1. I am tempted to apply a thin coat of fork oil to help keep them oiled and protected, but I am afraid that it will collect more dirt from the road and create more damage to the seals than actually protect the fork tubes.

2. Might just wash the fork tubes and leave them as they are.

B. Regarding the brake pads, what are the recommeded brands ...OEM or what other.

Thanks,

Front pads ? I'm hooked on HH. I've used ceramic and liked them too. The rear? Organic or ceramic are fine. My rear brake is like an emergency brake anyway. It last forever as do HH's. Ebc HH's don't heat fade much. And mine don't lock up the rotors when I hit them hard.The bike does stop well and controled.
Forks? I wouldn't put oil for the reason you stated. I wax mine,but aren't that happy with the results. The wax gets hard and gets in the seals. I'm thinking a wipe down with wd-40 around the lower tube might be best just to clean and rust protect. I'm interested in what others have to say about that. The Yami clear sounds like it's worth a shot Dan-o.
Steve

Last edited:
We could have the tubes hard anodized which will resist corrosion more but it's not a cheap option for sure.

Sean

We could have the tubes hard anodized which will resist corrosion more but it's not a cheap option for sure.

Sean

just because i'm nosey, how much would something like that cost? in black?

how much thickness would it add? would the seals still seal properly? what about clamping in the triples, would that wear off at all there or still clamp well?

Think of it more as a metal treatment then a coating. It's only microns thick. Looking in the $225-$250 range plus shipping (overseas and back). It won't be cheap.

Sean

Think of it more as a metal treatment then a coating. It's only microns thick. Looking in the $225-$250 range plus shipping (overseas and back). It won't be cheap.

Sean

that'd look sexy tho.

How can you anodize a steel fork stanchion? Or are you referring to nitride coating it?

Could anodize the lower fork legs since they are aluminum

Attachments

• Baker fork.jpg
    Baker fork.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 18
Mmmm...too much money for me (either anodizing or nitride coating). Seems like the WD40 might work. I'm on a tight budget now and need to buy a couple of things at Exactrep in December.

To further protect the fork tubes (uppers), how about installing those covers that were introduced in the 2001 or 2002 models ? Can these be installed in previous models (1998) ? See pic below.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Forkcover.jpg
    Forkcover.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
To further protect the fork tubes (uppers), how about installing those covers that were introduced in the 2001 or 2002 models ? Can these be installed in previous models (1998) ? See pic below.

Cannot be retro-fitted. I wound up buying a 2003 set of forks off eBay and adding Race Tech springs and emulators. Sold my 97 forks on eBay and recovered some of my costs.

There were some add on fork protectors that looked very similar to the standard ones on the later years. I may have a set with the protectors on hand and even with all the aftermarket stuff ready to install.

I have also seen dirt bike bug "accordion" looking guards installed. Looked stupid but I am sure it worked.

Keep in mind that WD40 works in the short term for breaking stuff loose but it also allows for rust to accumulate quicker since it's not designed to be a lasting protective coating.

Thanks, One2dVmax (Morley). Sent you a message. Interested in the fork protectors.

:ummm:

I think the best thing for the forks is to keep them clean and dry. I swear that bug guts have acid in them, and if left on metal too long can cause pitting to start. I use turtle wax bug and tar remover on the whole bike, wipe it down then buff it off after it dries.

Back