pulsar coil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrs3

Reaction score
just received new pickup coil from regulatorrectifier ohms resistance is 260 book spec is 100 ohms for a 94 max anybody else find this from this supplier and will it work dont want to install it if i have to return it

I have yet to find one that didn't work as long as it at least read resistance. BUT, you are correct in that it's usually 80-120

Thanks Sean, Regulatorrectifier contacted me 100 ohms is not spec for their coil. Installed it bike runs but still have same problem. Bike runs great for 15 or 20 min. then rough idle under 1800 rpm, been thru the carbs several times, if that was the problem dont think it would run good for 15/20 min. new pulsar coil, charging system is 13.1 volts,12.7 with cooling fan,fuel pump 2.5 psi .I am lost,thougt maybe vapor lock but runs fine above 1800 rpm. No air leaks. Am going to put oem pulsar coil back in it read 102 ohms cold 127ohms hot. If anybody has an idea let me know.

Thanks Sean, Regulatorrectifier contacted me 100 ohms is not spec for their coil. Installed it bike runs but still have same problem. Bike runs great for 15 or 20 min. then rough idle under 1800 rpm, been thru the carbs several times, if that was the problem dont think it would run good for 15/20 min. new pulsar coil, charging system is 13.1 volts,12.7 with cooling fan,fuel pump 2.5 psi .I am lost,thougt maybe vapor lock but runs fine above 1800 rpm. No air leaks. Am going to put oem pulsar coil back in it read 102 ohms cold 127ohms hot. If anybody has an idea let me know.
Them charging system numbers are not good in my opinion ! I think you need to do some more checking on the charging system.

Do the 'crimp-fix.' Solder the brass crimp on the wire harness, search on here for that term. Check your connections on the stator to the R/R plug, they often corrode.

VMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg.jpgVMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpg

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Check your wire loom grounds, and what the R/R output should be. See P. 320 to 324 or 405 pages in the service manual .pdf At 2000rpm, 14.5 V +or- 0.5 V

VMax generator output.png

If you need a new R/R, get a MOSFET one.

Most bikes and some cars don't charge battery at idle. 95 Mitsubishi Galant for example. Generator, which starts charging at 2000 RPM is twice smaller, than idle charging one, I think.

Them charging system numbers are not good in my opinion ! I think you need to do some more checking on the charging system.
I agree. Need to check the voltage regulator, stator output (AC volts), and grounds. Get it to 13.5 MINIMUM and ideally in the 14's. That will help running issues once warmed up.

I agree. Need to check the voltage regulator, stator output (AC volts), and grounds. Get it to 13.5 MINIMUM and ideally in the 14's. That will help running issues once warmed up.
Hey Sean all this talk about charging numbers got me thinking, So I checked mine and at 1800 to 3000+ rpm my voltage fluctuates between 12.7 and 13.1v
I have a pretty noticeable stumble if I twist the throttle hard/quick after the bike gets warm. But if I accelerate smoothly It doesn't do that. I have checked for vac leaks and check for fuel flow and couldn't find anything wrong. Could the fact that my apparently low voltage is the issue? could that have an effect like that?

Low voltage will also not let the system operate properly and can contribute to all sorts of running issues.

Low voltage will also not let the system operate properly and can contribute to all sorts of running issues.
Guess I need to investigate into this and find out why my voltages are nowhere near 14v. Thanks Sean

Latest posts

Back