putting a holley 4 barrel on vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nascar = 3 hours of talking heads before the race, caution flags for hot dog wrappers and run for the covers when it rains. :rofl_200:Hell, even motorcycles run in the rain. :worthy:

Don't forget about the stupid cartoon gopher they have now....

there is a bike on ebay right now whose owner could answer all your questions. hell for $8000.00 you can own the bike already done up. auction number is 290300659736. looks like a pretty sweet deal if this is something you are seriously planning on doing. guy claims its capable of 200 hp and smoke shows at 60 mph. wish my tax return was bigger.

later odieoh24

there is a bike on ebay right now whose owner could answer all your questions. hell for $8000.00 you can own the bike already done up. auction number is 290300659736. looks like a pretty sweet deal if this is something you are seriously planning on doing. guy claims its capable of 200 hp and smoke shows at 60 mph. wish my tax return was bigger.

later odieoh24

This is, or was John Blackwells blower Bike that is featured on pCW racings website

http://pcwracing.net/johnblackwell.htm

Man.....youse guys is NUTS........

I am utterly terrified of swapping out mufflers for slip-ons due to not wanting to blow the damn thing up.........

You guys want to completely reinvent the wheel.......

Good for you:clapping::worthy:

Man.....youse guys is NUTS........

I am utterly terrified of swapping out mufflers for slip-ons due to not wanting to blow the damn thing up.........

You guys want to completely reinvent the wheel.......

Good for you:clapping::worthy:

Is this S&S "Sals" Brother or any relations? :confused2:

Don't forget about the stupid cartoon gopher they have now....

How about a speedlimit on pit road.. or no passing on the grass... even better no bumping.. Just isnt what it used to be anymore....

Booogity Booogity .......... Shut The Fuk Up DW!! Geeze I hate that!

This is a dyno graph from using a single carb 250 demon i think and he said that a 500 has done better not bad in my opinion pretty straight line.

Attachments

• dyno3.JPG
    dyno3.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 136
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 124
Surely Guys, you would be thinking a square bore center squirter Holley with each bore feeding one cylinder?

Surely Guys, you would be thinking a square bore center squirter Holley with each bore feeding one cylinder?
From a "there's only one carbuetor, so it should be simple to use/maintain," point of view, I suppose the system makes sense, but the dyno graph in post #27 doesn't reveal any great improvement, and what was the bike making before the conversion? No, I didn't look at the prior page's posts.

A supercharger uses a small CFM 4-bbl carburetor on a VMax. A typical pressurization with a blower is 6 PSI, going to more-than that, and you better prepare the engine for the increased heat, and that includes internal mods from what I've been-told, like lower compression pistons. It's definitely NOT a case of, "well, if it makes a lot of power at 6 PSI, slap-on a different pulley to get 12 PSI, and the world will spin backwards when I wack-open the throttle!"

I'm not-impressed by the listed 116 HP for the carburetor conversion, especially not being-aware of the starting point. A Stage 7 Dynojet kit and a 4/1 Kerker probably can and should exceed that, properly-tuned, when starting from the base point of 108-110 RWHP.

Sean's Megasquirt he was experimenting with sounded promising, but as I recall, he never got it to do the things it was claimed of being able to-do.

OK, I read the 1st page. Not much there to change my mind. Some discussion about the carburetors in a 4-bbl range being too-much for the size of the engine. The venerable Carter YF 1-bbl carburetor was used on many vehicles over the years, including Willys-Jeep and even the turbocharged 145 cu. inch first-generation Corvair, which produced >1 HP/cu. inch in the early 1960's, pretty-heady stuff for the time.

A spread-bore carburetor would appear to be an entirely-wrong design because the unequal-size primaries and secondaries would contribute too-much fuel when the secondaries activated.

For all the fussing that people do with the OEM Mikunis, keep the gas tank and filter clean, use quality gasoline, run a good air filter, and the system gives decent service. The 10% ethanol gas has proven to be a real problem for bikes and cars not-designed for it. That's especially-true when the vehicle sits for an extended period of time. That's not the carb system's fault.

Last edited:
593262d1524789258-2018-softail-heritage-vmax-holleycarb.jpg

593261d1524789258-2018-softail-heritage-img_20170527_071106889.jpg

Oh yes it will...but not for very long before the pistons emerge into the fresh air! 🤯

I'll see your belted power-booster and raise you a giggle-gas bottle (look by the left rear shock absorber).

Here's one built by my friend's shop, in-front of another shop famous for its work, located in Holly Hill (Daytona Beach) FL, the bike owner decided to do his own work: change-out the 6 PSI pulley for a 12 PSI pulley, without doing what was necessary to make it live. He swapped-out the pulley himself, and took it onto an interstate in so. FL where he ran it 'long & hard,' well, long-enough to prove that you need-to address the entire idea of power-boosters properly, lest-you discover such neglect is 'hard' on the powerplant. It spit a rod. However, here it is before the ill-fated incident. Boxenstopp's was the place to-be for the VMax contingent during Daytona Bike Week, sadly, the proprietor has died.

VMax supercharged.01.jpegVMax supercharged.02.jpeg

I'll see your belted power-booster and raise you a giggle-gas bottle (look by the left rear shock absorber).

Here's one built by my friend's shop, in-front of another shop famous for its work, located in Holly Hill (Daytona Beach) FL, the bike owner decided to do his own work: change-out the 6 PSI pulley for a 12 PSI pulley, without doing what was necessary to make it live. He swapped-out the pulley himself, and took it onto an interstate in so. FL where he ran it 'long & hard,' well, long-enough to prove that you need-to address the entire idea of power-boosters properly, lest-you discover such neglect is 'hard' on the powerplant. It spit a rod. However, here it is before the ill-fated incident. Boxenstopp's was the place to-be for the VMax contingent during Daytona Bike Week, sadly, the proprietor has died.

View attachment 72662View attachment 72663
I LIKE IT , HELL YEAH!!!!@

OK, time for my $.02 worth. I'm not on here much and haven't been able to spend as much time in the VMax world as I used to, but I might know a thing or 2 about these items. First off the 4bbl setup from memory was better with a 2bbl setup overall. Provided a little more power/torque, maybe have been easier to tune if you were a car guy, with a relatively stock bike. If the bike was modified it helped more, as would a set of flatslides. Which is better? Well that is very subjective.

I had a set of flatslides on the bike back in the late 90's and early 2000's and I changed jets twice a day while in Daytona for bikeweek. Once in the am for daytime riding and once at night. Did it make a difference, absolutely. Was it 100% required, maybe not, but we had a hell of a lot of fun back then. Then the turbo days came, so yes I know something about boosted applications as well. Stock internals last until about 6-7psi. Beyond that they won't last long if you are into the boost very much. The ring lances actually start to stretch and deform. Still have the pistons somewhere to prove it.

As far a HP, let's just say I'm well into the 200's on the gen 1, since 2002. And the Gen 2 for that manner, that has the supercharger on it. And I do remember the dyno chart from above, since it was on my dyno many moons ago.

The only VMax with a tunnel ram.....mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-05-30-14-48-45-640~3.jpg
    IMG_2023-05-30-14-48-45-640~3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2023-05-30-14-48-34-166.jpg
    IMG_2023-05-30-14-48-34-166.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
The only VMax with a tunnel ram.....mine.
There was a much more sophisticated version made by Dale Walker years ago. Even heated lower passage to help with cold warm up issues and frosting that can occur. He hasn't made one of those in probably 20-30 years though.

Latest posts

Back