putting a tube in a rear tire??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
I needed a tire repair today, my ME880 rear had a nail on it, and still has several thousand miles left on it.

Oddly, the place I have gone for small repairs over the years now advocates installing a tube in the tire rather than using a plug. I've had a long history with them, so I let them have at it, but I've certainly never heard of doing this before.

Thoughts?

I've seen that before but I would stick to a professional plug repair. You lose the tubeless benefits when you put in a tube. (Less heat, less chance of a blowout, etc).

I had this done for one of my XS11 bikes and it made the front tire wobble like it was going to fly apart. Wasn't balanced right.

Well I put about 20 miles on it today and so far so good. In fact, the "cheapo" Shinko front seems to have minimized my decel wobble, I think perhaps the last installers were not as careful balancing the tires as this one was.

I run tubeless strret tires on My XR650 which has spoke rims, so of course I'm running tubes.

Several 1000 miles this way and no issues at all as long as they are properly balanced.

I can't speak for heat buildup.

I don't see the problem with a patch or plug either tho'.

I will not throw a good tire out due to a plug, I've run them and run them hard that way for many years and no issues there either.

Long time ago, I punctured a new Dunlop rear tire. I had a tube installed, and ran the tire till it wore out with absolutely no problems. I believe the mechanic put a patch on the inside of the tire at the point pf puncture, just to be safe. That tire saw 135 mph more than once, with no probs at all.

Back