Putting down your bike... like a boss.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So yes, if anyone has seen me post you all know I just got my bike and just started riding it.

I took a three day course before I started riding it and it had a lot of good info, some things you simply dont think about. One of those things is how to properly turn. As they teach it. Slow-look-lean-roll, Slow down, look where you want to go, lean into the turn, and roll your throttle.

I fail.

Leaving work there is an intersection with a bit of a incline, so I was concentrating on not stalling/not burning out. When I went to turn, I did a great job of not stalling and not burning out, but it also wasn't quite the 90 degree turn I was hoping to make. More of a 45 degree. I ended up going off the and putting my bike down in-between the road and the side walk (which thankfully was grass) and I ended up going over the handle bars.

After this all happened 2 people helped me get up and pick my bike up. I was shaken and my bike dirty but thankfully I turned the bike on and it sounded as beautiful as it always does. I drove it back to the office and parked it, took care of some stuff and when I went to turn it on it wouldn't make a noise. This morning I got to work and turned the key on and tried cranking it up, this time after I turned the electronic switch on it made the normal noises it does, headlight came on. Go to crank it up and I get the click-click-click of a dead battery.

Thankfully with everything said and done, the damage is not all that great. As far as I am concerned, any shadow of an ego I might have had is completely shattered and lost, and I am sore all over, but I can live with that.

My bike is a bit more banged up, but nothing drastic, or overly apparent to be honest.

Things to be replaced:
-Left mirror
-battery (possibly if we cant jump the bike)
-foot shifter (Bent back to the foot rest, planning on bending it back to its original position but I eventually want to replace it then ride on something that's been bent back and forth)
-Handle Bar (also a little bent. But ride able)

So this is me, failing on the second day of riding.
29.gif
29.gif

I will take it as it is though. A good learning experience.

good to know that you are ok. bike parts are easier to replace than flesh and bones. you're not alone. i've got a good story posted somewhere in the forum. i've got a stock handlebar i could sell you--PM me if you want.

That sucks man, glad to hear you are fine except for the sore muscles and the bruised ego. I have to give you props for choosing a Vmax for your starter bike, most of us choose a small light weight bike to learn to ride on. As far as the broken parts go someone on this site will have them for a good price, now go back out and get on that beast and show him who's the boss! You got off easy with this ''learning experience'' so please ride safe and enjoy.....

I've also got a stock handlebar and also stock mirrors. Shoot me a PM if you'd like them. Glad to hear that the ego is worst of the damage, and also glad to hear that you're ready to get back on and learn from it.

That certainly sucks F/N but most of us on here have been thru something similar....everything can be fixed! :punk:

Not sure what you have for a battery but if it's not maintenance free then some acid probably got spilled....douche the area down good with baking soda/water to neutralize it.

Well...that's out of the way huh?
Good attitude on getting back on and not giving up!
I've taken all three classes and IMO they are worth it even with prior experience. My beginners and intermediate classes were given the Marine Corps way so it was definitely worth it.
Luckily for me I crash other peoples bikes. LOL, just kidding.

When you first posted that a Vmax was your first bike I was a little shocked....while it's not "difficult" to ride, it is fairly heavy, has loads of torque, and isn't the best handling machine ever built. Not the best platform for a beginner to be honest. I went from an automatic GS450, to a Magna 500, to the Vmax.....

But glad to hear you're OK. You can try bending the shifter back but as Kyle said they have a tendency to snap. Bent handlebars are an excuse to get new ones that fit you better. Mirrors, just ask the mod monkey there.

good to know that you are ok. bike parts are easier to replace than flesh and bones. you're not alone. i've got a good story posted somewhere in the forum. i've got a stock handlebar i could sell you--PM me if you want.

so after searching the forum for the story of my fall, i found it posted in your first thread (New to the forums, New to riding) :rofl_200: like dan-o says don't let is bother you none. most of us have had similar misgivings.

i fell down my 2nd day out learning to ride to. better it happens that slow than at 70 mph. reminded me i wasn't invincible.

glad you are also pretty much okay man.

keep us updated on the parts you need.

when ur stopped turn the bars so the wheel is facing where you want to go, when you hit that gas itll go where its facing

lol thanks for all the well wishs and offers for the bars and mirrors, I might take one of you up on that.

Now as far as me geting a Vmax as my first bike... I am going to have to claim ignorence on that part. I was looking around and my bike was the only cruiser that was in my area that had a good price and did not look beat up, so I started emailing the guy and starting doing research on the bike after talking to him. Only then did I realize what a beast this bike is. So it was more of an issue of cash the the bike it self when it came to me getting it.

That being said if I knew how powerful the bike was before hand, I still would have gotten it. Sadly I am kind of a "jump in with both feet" kind of guy. Not exactly the best way to do things but it works.. some times lol.

I can confidently say that the fact the bike has all that power and is heavy as it is really did not have anything to do with me dumping it. And I am happy to say it being dumped had nothing to do with me acting like a fool on it. Very aware how lucky I am. :p

Doesn't this mean he should get a Purple Heart????:rofl_200:
I quit counting the number of times I've been down, now I concentrate on ways to survive the next, less frequent but inevitable crash.... Not a matter of If,,,,, but When....:ummm:

Doesn't this mean he should get a Purple Heart????:rofl_200:
I quit counting the number of times I've been down, now I concentrate on ways to survive the next, less frequent but inevitable crash.... Not a matter of If,,,,, but When....:ummm:

lol Been on the forums for a matter of weeks and already I am trying to get awards... lol :confused2:

I'm glad you are basically OK after your mishap and your Vmax not too bad off either. Like Danny mentioned if it spilled battery acid you need to get that neutralized ASAP while a baking soda/ water solution.
I learned a lot on my DT250, I don't know how many times I tried to do wheelies on that only to smash the rear fender. (Mod Monkey liked me after the 3rd wreck and we bought a enduro rubber mounted taillight that the cops didn't like) I learned even more lesson on my YZ250 which I went over the handlebars more times than my sore body cares to remember!

Just remember that this is a big heavy powerful bike, it doesn't like to turn, has fairly quick acceleration that can catch you out while cornering (watch the throttle input!). Ride this bike carefully for a while and then retake the safety course which will be a good reminder of how to properly control a motorcycle. I find that you really cannot finesse the Vmax, you have to take the bull by the horns and make it do what you want. If you take this bike close to the edge it can really bite you hard. A little practice in a empty parking lot doing figure 8's, starting, stopping, cornering can help a lot with the skills. I like to head out to a deserted road in the spring to do some low speed maneuvering to freshen up my skills/ check the bike out after the long winter layoff.

I'm glad you are basically OK after your mishap and your Vmax not too bad off either. Like Danny mentioned if it spilled battery acid you need to get that neutralized ASAP while a baking soda/ water solution.
I learned a lot on my DT250, I don't know how many times I tried to do wheelies on that only to smash the rear fender. (Mod Monkey liked me after the 3rd wreck and we bought a enduro rubber mounted taillight that the cops didn't like) I learned even more lesson on my YZ250 which I went over the handlebars more times than my sore body cares to remember!

Just remember that this is a big heavy powerful bike, it doesn't like to turn, has fairly quick acceleration that can catch you out while cornering (watch the throttle input!). Ride this bike carefully for a while and then retake the safety course which will be a good reminder of how to properly control a motorcycle. I find that you really cannot finesse the Vmax, you have to take the bull by the horns and make it do what you want. If you take this bike close to the edge it can really bite you hard. A little practice in a empty parking lot doing figure 8's, starting, stopping, cornering can help a lot with the skills. I like to head out to a deserted road in the spring to do some low speed maneuvering to freshen up my skills/ check the bike out after the long winter layoff.

After this I fully plan on taking it out to a parking lot or somewhere and going over the basics again. The class taught me all the basics, but I learned them on the honda 250. So there is a BIG diffrence in doing figure 8's in that vs the vmax.

Well. While we are on the subject of handlebars....

I looked at Morleys site and saw that handlebars are probably one of the cheaper things to replace.

Its hard to tell from the paper he has up there but the two that caught my eye where the Drag bar and the Daytona Bar. Are the drag bars as the name implys? Mainly good for drag racing or is it a good all around bar? And does the length make a big diffrence in turning?

Thanks.

i fell down my 2nd day out learning to ride to. better it happens that slow than at 70...

This...

I quit counting the number of times I've been down, now I concentrate on ways to survive the next, less frequent but inevitable crash.... Not a matter of If,,,,, but When....

And this! Man I know this...

Hey while I've been riding since childhood, I still picked up good useable information when I went to the MSF course. Kudos on having the foresight to take it! I'm sure it has/will save you from some nastier spills. First bike is Max huh? That's nuts! Somethng to brag about. My hats off to you.:punk:

For a handlebar, wider is better. Try to find one with the stock bend, just wider. Handlebars can be bent back if you want to save money. A long pipe that can slip over the end will give you the leverage needed. Take off the grip and clutch master cylinder first and move the forks up against the stop. (Assuming it is the clutch side since you bent the shifter. If not, just remove the throttle sleeve and brake master cylinder). On the shifter, if you remove it, remove the rubber toe protector, put it in a vise and heat it with a torch or other suitable device and bend it slowly, you should be OK. Without heating, it will probably snap. These fixes I have done countless times in my 53 years of riding. :biglaugh:

Back