putting engine back together after fixing trans.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I don't have the side cover gaskets or oil pan on yet. Any reason I just cant use the rest of the yamalube silicone I got instead of buying gaskets? I think it would work just fine what do you think?

Personal preference: I use gaskets with silicone on both sides because I don't want leaks after a fix goes well. I hate taking things apart multiple times to get it right...

You may get by but for me I'd opt to not risk it... Definitely use gaskets on the left side. There are clearance problems for the starter otherwise.

They usually put gaskets on for a reason. If they didn't need them, they would have just used the yamabond there from the factory. That's my take on it, anyway....

Man are you one cheap bass. I'd even pay dealer cost for those gadkets. You did the O-ring fix right?

Personal preference: I use gaskets with silicone on both sides because I don't want leaks after a fix goes well. I hate taking things apart multiple times to get it right...

You may get by but for me I'd opt to not risk it... Definitely use gaskets on the left side. There are clearance problems for the starter otherwise.

+1 to sealer on both sides to correct any irregularities in the surfasces. I have done it when I had to to go for a ride, but keep spares around now whenever I need one it's here.

99% of the time the gaskets work fine dry. Only sealed areas from the factory on the newer engines was at the spots on the block where the seams are. You for sure need a gasket on the stator cover. The other covers could possibly be installed without them.

Sean

I usually grease my gaskets both sides with a dab of engine oil before applying them. In that case if you need to remove the cover by any reason you may remove the gasket without braking it because it doesn't stick either to the block or cover. its been working for me.

Ok thanks for the input guys..not cheap bastard LOL just 27 years as a ASE master tech mechanic and know gaskets are not always needed if you have a good sealer and allot of new cars do not use gaskets anymore on oil pans and covers just silicone..but I was smart enough to ask first..;) I think I might use the grease the gasket tip good idea because they always seem to break when removing covers.

My friend Steve uses water soluble gel on gaskets, it helps them to hold in place & release if you need to remove the component. You know the name brand, right? The abbreviation for the state by TN is __ .

i have free viton o-rings if you still need one.

Back