Question about air intake?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javaman181

Reaction score
i have a 2001 vmax, love it. I have a tech question?

i notice online that velocity stacks are mounted below fake tank on vmax.
i also see what appears to be velocity stacks mounted on the outside of the
bike where you see the carberator covers. Are they both suppose to be like that?

help

thanks

underneath the cover they should be real stacks, on the outside of the carbs they are just decoration

Here's something which will help you to learn about your bike. Note that there are several tech supplements of multiple pages in the front of the file, before the actual factory shop manual. You need to read the tech supplements of the year for your particular VMax model, to ensure that you're using the correct specs.

An example: 1985-1992 have smaller diameter 40mm fork downtubes, and a single schrader valve for air assist. The front calipers are one pair of single-opposed pistons, and 282mm rotors. 1993-2007 front ends are larger-diameter 43mm downtubes, calipers are (each) two pairs of opposed pistons, 298mm brake rotors and the top of each fork downtube has a schrader valve for air-assist pressure. A popular fork mod is Progressive Suspension fork springs, which do-away with using air pressure.

Another example is 1985-'89 electronic ignition boxes are two ignition pick-up coils inside the left side stator/rotor cover. The give-away is the 5-wire connector from the left-front engine side case cover, over the stator/rotor. The 1990-'07 engines use a single pick-up coil inside the left side stator/rotor cover, and it only has two wires at the molded plastic quick-disconnect.

VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

VMax pick-up coil 1985-89 early models 5 wires.jpgVMax pick-up coil 1990-2007 late models 2 wires.jpg

Velocity stacks is a perfect way to kill engine. No air filter? I repaired about 100 car engines and about 95-98% of them died because of car owner.

i also see what appears to be velocity stacks mounted on the outside of the
bike where you see the carberator covers. Are they both suppose to be like that?

help

thanks
I think he's talking about these:

1641041495449.png

Those are just decorative. They're not functional. They're also pretty expensive, so if you bought the bike with those on it, well done.

Latest posts

Back