question about carb needle assembly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasj

Reaction score
This is my first time posting so forgive me if its in the wrong place. I've been changing jets and needles and I think I must be missing a part . I can see in diagrams of a needle holder which I don't seem have. To be clearer I have a 85 vmax that I bought used and bought Morley kit. I have the stage 7 needle, a plastic shim, a washer, a clip and a spring. I'm certain I know how the spring , metal washer , clip and plastic shim all go together but my question is when I screw the cap back on over the spring is there a rubber washer that goes in there anywhere ? What am I missing ? I was told to order 93210-03119 washers but cant figure out how they would go on ? Anyone have any pics ? thanks for any help.

This is my first time posting so forgive me if its in the wrong place. I've been changing jets and needles and I think I must be missing a part . I can see in diagrams of a needle holder which I don't seem have. To be clearer I have a 85 vmax that I bought used and bought Morley kit. I have the stage 7 needle, a plastic shim, a washer, a clip and a spring. I'm certain I know how the spring , metal washer , clip and plastic shim all go together but my question is when I screw the cap back on over the spring is there a rubber washer that goes in there anywhere ? What am I missing ? I was told to order 93210-03119 washers but cant figure out how they would go on ? Anyone have any pics ? thanks for any help.

To the best of my knowledge....NO there is not a rubber washer in there. Ive KNOWN of some people to run a rubber washer under the plastic screw, but that was ONLY to raise the screw up out of the way of a needle shim......which was added on.

Here is a thread that gives the order.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=300332&postcount=4

No rubber washer.

To the best of my knowledge....NO there is not a rubber washer in there. Ive KNOWN of some people to run a rubber washer under the plastic screw, but that was ONLY to raise the screw up out of the way of a needle shim......which was added on.

Here is a thread that gives the order.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=300332&postcount=4

Humm, When its all together it just seems loosey goosey an there is no retention and everytiime I use a shim it never helps even when I was using the stock needles. When everything is together and the cap is on with spring under it, it just seems like to me when you press the needle with your finger there ought to be a springy feel instead of a looseness.

Moved to "carb" section of forum. Maybe the rubber washer you speak of is actually the rubber o-ring that goes between the carb body and cover?

when you drop the needle in. have you rotated it so the plastic piece falls into place with the little nub it has in it... this will drop the needle a little further and yes there is a bit of wiggle to the needle when all assembled its not a rigid fit.

When the needle is seated in position correctly, it does wiggle. Its not meant to be rigid.

Humm, When its all together it just seems loosey goosey an there is no retention and everytiime I use a shim it never helps even when I was using the stock needles. When everything is together and the cap is on with spring under it, it just seems like to me when you press the needle with your finger there ought to be a springy feel instead of a looseness.

The needle is s'posed to have side to side movement, helps to keep it from wearing the jet needle.....it should also move into the slide slightly when pressing the tip with the spring pushing it back out. It's a very weak spring, very little resistance.

In the case of adjustable needles, where the clip is in the bottom grooves it may be necessary to place a spacer under the plastic screw to allow for needle movement. An o-ring of the proper diameter works good for this.

when you drop the needle in. have you rotated it so the plastic piece falls into place with the little nub it has in it... this will drop the needle a little further and yes there is a bit of wiggle to the needle when all assembled its not a rigid fit.

The little nubs have been smoothed off of mine.

The needle is s'posed to have side to side movement, helps to keep it from wearing the jet needle.....it should also move into the slide slightly when pressing the tip with the spring pushing it back out. It's a very weak spring, very little resistance.

In the case of adjustable needles, where the clip is in the bottom grooves it may be necessary to place a spacer under the plastic screw to allow for needle movement. An o-ring of the proper diameter works good for this.

OK I'll give that a shot. Thanks ! And thanks everyone for your input !

This was a question that I asked Sean one time. If the nubs are broken off....its no big deal. The needle will still work as intended.

As long as the nubs are broken flush with the spacer bottom, otherwise they could push the needle out a few mills.

I have all those little parts plastic screws, springs, spacers, washers, etc. at the BRC Carb Shop.

Latest posts

Back