Question about changing rear end gears

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk203

Reaction score
I was thinking if I came across the right deal on ebay I might pickup a rear ?differential? out of a venture for my max. I read that it will drop your rpms about 500 at cruising speed. The thing is my max has an extended swingarm and I was wondering will my current drive shaft fit into the venture rear or will the splines be different? Will this be an easy job? Who has done it and is it even worth it? I'm not crazy about the kind of rpms the bike turns at 75 mph and would like to drop it down a bit before next season and any long rides.

Splines the same..just make sure you get the right year Venture..some won't work..definately a good mod

Pre 85 venture pumpkins will not fit bolt on.

However i've succeed with converting that pumpkin(83) into v-max. Its required
shorter shaft and little machining to splines and machine new bracket
for schock absorber.

Anyway its not worth of it, better buy post 85. Its direct fit.

I got one a couple of years ago and just put it on this spring. I really like it. After I first put it on I caught myself in 4th gear on the highway a couple of times thinking that I was in 5th!!

It makes highway cruising more relaxing just because the bikes not screaming!!

I got one a couple of years ago and just put it on this spring. I really like it. After I first put it on I caught myself in 4th gear on the highway a couple of times thinking that I was in 5th!!

It makes highway cruising more relaxing just because the bikes not screaming!!

Exactly what im after. Now I REALLY want one. How much should I expect to fork over for one?

Hey, You can check Pinwall Cycles, they usually have some. Price may not be too bad. If you get a newer one you will have to blank off the speedo drive opening. Great mod to install. No problem tho. Good Luck, Spur :punk:

Now pre'85 Ventures are off the table, what about the final drive from a Royal Star Venture? I've seen answers go either way, so I am kinda looking for a definitive answer.

I know vmax final drives work on RSV once they are machined a little for speed detection. Many of the RSV riders swap out the pumpkins to get the RPMs in a more of the power band. I would only assume it would go the other way.

If so, I may have a project to work on as I have both bikes... :D

86-93 venture 1300's. Some newer Royal Star rear diffs (id'd by the speedo pickup) will work. They may need to have the shock mount hole drilled/tapped.

Sean

Yep, I used a Royal Star , drilled and tapped the thread for the shock mount and machined a cap for the speedo.
The good thing is that these seem to be going cheaper on Ebay. I got mine from Pinwall's (Ebay) and only paid $50 for it.:eusa_dance:

Just out of curiosity what kind of RPM's are you guys running at cruising speeds after the changeover?

Yep, I used a Royal Star , drilled and tapped the thread for the shock mount and machined a cap for the speedo.
The good thing is that these seem to be going cheaper on Ebay. I got mine from Pinwall's (Ebay) and only paid $50 for it.:eusa_dance:

Jedi I thought you would have CNC'd a quick change rear end for the VMax by now! :biglaugh:

10% less then what you have right now.

Sean

Well I'm asking because I can't be so sure my max has a factory dif. The swingarm was extended so I know the rear end was modded whos to say the gears weren't already changed. I think I run around 4500 RPM at 55mph? But honestly I'm just guessing right now. Does that sound like a factory bike?

I want to say that sounds close but hopefully someone on here can verify it.

Sean

Back