Question about Yamaha carbon fiber

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scleary

Reaction score
I bought a 2010 VMAX a few weeks ago. Although the stuff is expensive, I'm putting the carbon fiber from Yamaha on the bike. (I've already added the Boulevard windscreen and the stiletto cowl.) I have a service manual and rear stand. The carbon fiber pieces came with little bags containing tape and padding, but no instructions. I thought they would have included at least a sheet per part referring to the service manual and perhaps cleaning instructions. Does anybody have any advice on how to use the tape/padding, etc? Maybe it will become apparent when I remove the original items. I'd assume the tape/padding should be used to keep the carbon fiber from comming in contact with metal parts, but since these items are costly, any help would be appreciated. I'm mechanically challenged but patient. I'll start adding these accessories on the weekend.

Congrats on the New Max and Welcome to the VMF. I would expect exactly as you did about the tape and padding. The stock stuff should have it in the same places.

Good Luck and We need pictures of this VMax, now and after...:biglaugh:

Thanks SpecOps13. I'm just fishing for any advice here. This is my 1st motorcycle with a clutch (traded in my FJR1300AE, auto clutch). I have hardly any mechanical experience but I like to work on things. I'm going with all Yamaha/Star accessories at first and then I'll think about getting rid of all of the plastic on the rear, etc. When I bought the bike, I thought I'd master the clutch in about 5 minutes in the parking lot. I drove it back from the dealership (12 miles) in Atlanta traffic. I've since grounded myself to the neighborhood. I think that my left hand has finally realized not to completely let go of the clutch while startiing off. My brain knew it all along but for some reason, my hand wanted to completely let go and gun the throttle. Thanks again.

Wow, please be safe, Clutching will be second nature soon.
Good Luck with all the mods too...

I remember learning the clutch, My Dad told me just ride it home. I was 14 at the time
with no driving or riding experience. First bike. It was an Experience all right.

haha I can imagine the Atlanta traffic episode.
Getting familiar with the clutch by just doing small rides sounds wise knowing that beast rev up pretty quickly when you throttle :)

Let me know where you are in Marietta. I used to live there before running to the east side from ......... the traffic ! :rofl_200: I may have some suggestions as to where you can safely learn that clutchy thing.

My brain knew it all along but for some reason, my hand wanted to completely let go and gun the throttle. Thanks again.

Iv got the same problem:biglaugh:

welcome.

Let me know where you are in Marietta. I used to live there before running to the east side from ......... the traffic ! :rofl_200: I may have some suggestions as to where you can safely learn that clutchy thing.
I used to live on Windy Hill/ I-75, even back in '85 traffic was tough there. I had to drive to Norcross every day for work, I quickly moved to Tucker but the traffic around Jimmy Carter Blvd was kinda bad too.
Yes, please be careful as you probably already know is that you have a beast in your hands. The FJR is a totally different animal, it's has a ton of go up top but is smooth at lower revs. The Gen2 has a lot of torque down low and even small throttle openings can get touchy in close quarters.
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to Vmax central!:punk:

Thanks for the responses. For the Atlanta folks, I live about a mile north of the County Services DMV off of Austell Road. I'm decent with the clutch on level ground. The toughest part is starting from a complete stop while uphill. I guess it would be hard to do a backflip but it must be in the back of my mind as I have a tendency to baby the throttle even though I know that the engine needs more gas. I found a nice area to practice so maybe a few more days and I'll hit the traffic again.

Thanks for the responses. For the Atlanta folks, I live about a mile north of the County Services DMV off of Austell Road. I'm decent with the clutch on level ground. The toughest part is starting from a complete stop while uphill. I guess it would be hard to do a backflip but it must be in the back of my mind as I have a tendency to baby the throttle even though I know that the engine needs more gas. I found a nice area to practice so maybe a few more days and I'll hit the traffic again.

Good , glad you found a spot to practice. You are not far from Lockheed Martin . They have a good sized parking lot that , between shift changes , you could get some more level practice. From there you could ride east to Highway 41 and go North about 3 miles . There is a Yamaha shop about 3 miles North on Highway # 41 , and about 1/2 mile North of them is W.O.W. motorcycles , with an average of 600 used bikes for sale at any given time. Either should be able to point you in the right direction for safe , hilly practice , or lessons . Kennesaw mountain is further North with the college and hills as well.

Welcome to our addiction. :punk:

Latest posts

Back