Question for the carb gurus out there!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB252

Reaction score
Damned auto correct, I ment carb gurus!!
I've been reading and learning alot on the forum about my new to me 05 20th anniversary edition. Thanks to all of you.
As I have started to modify/dissasemble/clean her during the off season, I removed the airbox lid to find the stock air filter.
So my question is, she has a full Two Brothers exhaust, it seems like that is the only performance MOD on her, would it make sense to put on a k&n air filter and trim any plastic inside to help it breath better? It looks like in first picture below I would cut the piece between the air inlet. Anything else? Any jetting needed after making these changes? Air mixture screws are all about 3 turns out and she is running very good right now.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423358394648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423358394648.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423358434436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423358434436.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423358451374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423358451374.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Re: Question for the carbon gurus out there!

Actually the best way to make it breathe is to just take the Y off. You can trim a bit on the filter itself to where it matches the plastic of the airbox lid.

Here is a pic.

On the dyno I picked up 2 hp by taking the Y off, and trimmed VS untrimmed filter, added a couple of hp at 5500 rpm.

Attachments

• Modified K&N filter (1).jpg
    Modified K&N filter (1).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 67
Fixed the "carb" title. :) As far as carb adjustments with your full system, have a look at the carb section of this forum and read what others have done. Or get ahold of Sean for one of his Morleys muscle carb kits. EDIT- Have a look at this link: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16981 This shows what most of us are running in our carbs. Are you sure you have a FULL exhaust or just two brothers slip on mufflers? Pics of your exhaust system would help determine what you have.

Last edited:
Damned auto correct, I ment carb gurus!!
I've been reading and learning alot on the forum about my new to me 05 20th anniversary edition. Thanks to all of you.
As I have started to modify/dissasemble/clean her during the off season, I removed the airbox lid to find the stock air filter.
So my question is, she has a full Two Brothers exhaust, it seems like that is the only performance MOD on her, would it make sense to put on a k&n air filter and trim any plastic inside to help it breath better? It looks like in first picture below I would cut the piece between the air inlet. Anything else? Any jetting needed after making these changes? Air mixture screws are all about 3 turns out and she is running very good right now.
Thanks
Mike

Always been a big believer in "If it ain't broke....don't fix it!"

It's running good, no signs of a lean or rich condition.....why change it? :confused2:

I here that, but gotta tinker.
I'll put in the K&N and see what happens

Agree 100% with Danny. If it's running great as is, and you are happy with the performance, leave it alone! Way too many hard luck stories on this forum about fiddling with carbs that went wrong!
Maybe the P.O. that installed the Two Brothers exhaust already did the carb adjustments - if required - can you check?
However, I know all about that "tinkering" thing you got goin'on.
I suggest doing suspension, comfort, or cosmetic modifications, if that $$ is burning a hole in your pocket. Tons of things you could do to improve your ride experience, and the looks of your bike.
Leave the engine, carb and drivetrain mods alone for now...Mother Yamaha designed a good product, virtually unchanged for 22 years. Just my opinion.
Cheers!

Yeah, Progressives done, front and rear, brakes done thanks to Sean, tires good,
What's Next??

You can also change from the stock 152's down to 150's. The Vmax is set up a bit rich from the factory. The jets from Sean are pretty cheap.

So if we think it's already a little rich, and I add a K&N filter, that may help lean it out a bit?

Well maybe a "little" ....but not much. Sean recommends starting with 147.5's with an aftermarket exhaust AKA full exhaust....but I actually made the most hp with 150's. (every bike is just a bit different). Sean also recommends 150's even with stock exhaust.

Here is a thread that i started about dynoing the bike. Ive since moved onto Seans kit.....and so a bit more tuning.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=32875

Then do a comfort mod, a new seat to be particular. Most everybody with a stocker complains eventually.
Or a much more inexpensive maintenance item - an on-board voltmeter. V-max charging systems are notoriously unreliable/unpredictable. A meter gives you a heads up about battery condition and charging rates, and may save you a long walk or towing charge.
You are on a forum with many members that are eager to help you spend your hard-earned money! And help you determine your priorities, of course!
Cheers!

Believe it or not, riding a Morley seat already. She is pretty well set up. Might be going after an 18" UFO Wheel Now.
Don't tell the Mrs.

Latest posts

Back