question for the nitrous experts.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1260

Supporting Member
Reaction score
as i have the most things i have to install my nitrous kit. i started bolting things on. i have to drill the carbs manifolds to install the nos nozzle's change the fuel/nos jets on the nozzle . i will install 16 nitrous/18 fuel. this will give 36 safe horses. cause this were installed on a friends drag bike and was for more than 160 hp nitrous power.

the question for the experts is this. i run fcr on my max beast. i have 145 main jets. and 45 air jets. must i install bigger main jets on my carbs??? and if yes how much bigger ???? i guy told me i may have to install and 180 from 145 that i am running now. is that true???

i have to buy a smaller fuel pump for the nos system cause the kit had a very VERY BIG PUMP. connect the solonoids,and all the electrical and i am ready.

took some pics

Attachments

• 2011-03-10 15.59.24.jpg
    2011-03-10 15.59.24.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2011-03-10 15.59.29.jpg
    2011-03-10 15.59.29.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2011-03-10 15.59.35.jpg
    2011-03-10 15.59.35.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2011-03-10 15.59.53.jpg
    2011-03-10 15.59.53.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2011-03-10 15.59.59.jpg
    2011-03-10 15.59.59.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2011-03-10 16.00.05.jpg
    2011-03-10 16.00.05.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 30
  • 2011-03-10 16.00.45.jpg
    2011-03-10 16.00.45.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 16050.jpg
    16050.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 22
a lot of guys i know start with the same setup they have because when you hit the nitrous you will be dumping the appropriate fuel in (you have a fuel pressure cutoff switch right?). i was also told to change the main jet up one size just to make sure as well.

i would say either leave it as is or go up one size. also this is not from an expert i'd let sean or kj chime in.

Nice looking installation George!! :clapping:

I'm far from an expert on nitrous but don't really see any reason to change the main jet at all. The fuel/nitrous balance is handled at the sprayer nozzle, which is introduced downstream from the carbs in the manifolds. Two seperate systems.

KJ is the real expert with nitrous, maybe he'll see this and correct me if I'm wrong.

+1 with these guys, if its just for fun once and a while i think you will be ok with that jet or one up as mentioned, might as well start a little rich then bring it down cant hurt much. 145 pretty lean..... lean is fast thou :punk:

a lot of guys i know start with the same setup they have because when you hit the nitrous you will be dumping the appropriate fuel in (you have a fuel pressure cutoff switch right?). i was also told to change the main jet up one size just to make sure as well.

i would say either leave it as is or go up one size. also this is not from an expert i'd let sean or kj chime in.

without a fuel pressure cut off switch .....nitrous is like a bomb..... cause if no fuel goes in the engine and nos is prayed in...... i will be crying untill i reach 75 years old.. it is the most importand thing o nitrous setup if you like to keep your engine safe and not breaking it to pieces

i do agree with ro. better to start out too rich and go lean than be too lean. putting a wide band or tuning with a dyno the first few times would probably alleviate any concerns.

without a fuel pressure cut off switch .....nitrous is like a bomb..... cause if no fuel goes in the engine and nos is prayed in...... i will be crying untill i reach 75 years old.. it is the most importand thing o nitrous setup if you like to keep your engine safe and not breaking it to pieces

i agree. thats why i asked to make sure!

Once you have the standard fueling right the nitrous won't make it any leaner. That is provided you have the correct jets for it too.

145's for flatslides isn't lean. Keep in mind they are completely different carbs and jets so the number don't compare to the stock carbs.

You can play it safe and add a bit more fuel to the carbs but it's not something set in stone that you need to do.

KJ can add his experience in when he gets here.

Sean

Once you have the standard fueling right the nitrous won't make it any leaner. That is provided you have the correct jets for it too.

145's for flatslides isn't lean. Keep in mind they are completely different carbs and jets so the number don't compare to the stock carbs.

You can play it safe and add a bit more fuel to the carbs but it's not something set in stone that you need to do.

KJ can add his experience in when he gets here.

Sean

my nos system jets are 016 for nos and 018 for fuel if it helps you

Thumbs up on the bike...That thing is real purty

Thumbs up on the fuel switch...muy imporatante...

Thumbs down on adding fuel via carb jetting....The whole point of a wet system is to balance the a/f and nitrous fuel ratio via the nitrous jetting...no point in messing with the carbs...

Don't go crazy with getting too rich on the nitrous jetting to start with, you can do a "ring wash" if your seriously rich, washing the lubricating oil off the cylinders and ruining the oil seal on the rings...it takes a shitload of fuel to do this tho' ...... I accidentally did this to my wifes supercharged 350Z when trying to tune it....Cost me a shit load to fix.....

Thumbs up on the bike...That thing is real purty

Thumbs up on the fuel switch...muy imporatante...

Thumbs down on adding fuel via carb jetting....The whole point of a wet system is to balance the a/f and nitrous fuel ratio via the nitrous jetting...no point in messing with the carbs...

Don't go crazy with getting too rich on the nitrous jetting to start with, you can do a "ring wash" if your seriously rich, washing the lubricating oil off the cylinders and ruining the oil seal on the rings...it takes a shitload of fuel to do this tho' ...... I accidentally did this to my wifes supercharged 350Z when trying to tune it....Cost me a shit load to fix.....

you have covered me my friend... i had some doubts about that because someone came in the workshop and said if you gonna use nitrous on you bike behalf of the jets of the nitrous system (NOS jets and FUEL jets of the nozzles) you have to put a lot bigger MAIN JETS on the carbs. i told him the nitrous system have nos and fuel jets so you wont have any problem but he insisted about his opinion. i definetely no NOS expert and i definetely dont wont to break my engine. my mechanic is 400 km away. (the only mechanic i let touch my engine) which i am happening to go tommorow in his town for other bussiness and ask his advice. his name Peter Bournas and believe me on the v-max's he does surgery on them.
if you have face book e is a friend that you wont be regret having
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bournasmoto

Assuming your bike's A/F is correctly set up, use the recommended nitrous jets, you will be fine. Get a low fuel pressure safety switch as talked about... I think I found one for $15 a while back. I posted it somewhere on here. Let me know if you need help finding it. 36HP is not going to do much for you (you will want more :punk:) I even think you may be able to use the stock fuel pump. I would bet it willl be able to provide enough fuel for both the bike and the nitrous system. I wouldn't use the stock pump w/out the safety switch, but you can do some very quick checks to make sure your flows and pressures are good. I think there are guys running stock fuel pumps on bikes putting out 150+ HP (probably up to 200HP). A little time and testing may save you a lot of time and money in the end.

Keep us posted,

Jeff

Back