Question on Ignition Coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcmax

Reaction score
hey guys...newbie here in the forum. picked up this VMax a month ago. Opened her up to jump start but then noticed after it started that sparks flying from the two ignition coils below. Then realized that the cable that connects the coils and cover has been cut. By the way, she rides ok before the battery went dead. im guessing there has been some re-wiring but not sure what has been done. might need to find the number for the original owner. any idea what might be going on here ?
IMG_2370.jpg

Looks like your coils have been replaced, probably with COP's (coil-over-plugs). Their high-tension leads aren't on the coils.

the cable that connects the coils and cover has been cut: I'm assuming that you're referring to the high-tension lead from the ignition coils, where it passes through the black plastic heat insulation covers over the cylinder heads and then to the spark plugs in the heads. The two wires from each of the wire harness pairs of wires running to the ignition coils have to be fastened to the COP's to 'fire' them. The two-wire plastic plugs going to the ignition coils should be disconnected from the stock ignition coils, if the COP's system has been installed. That would be a real 'jury-rig' if some shadetree mechanic just left them connected to the ignition coils, and spliced into those wires to connect to the COP's, while removing the OEM ignition coils' high-tension leads.

What year is it? Looks like you have some seriously-deteriorated rubber hoses there. I suggest replacing the entire gas line system, from the gas tank to the carbs, and probably the carbs' rubbers too. Don't forget to remove/replace the gas filter too. You can search on the forum for a compatible, available at your local auto supplies store, $5-$6 gas filter to replace the stock one, which is probably about $18 (the stock one).
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c14f8700209bc794305/fuel-tank

Filter Assy
1FK-24560-10-00

You can replace the molded gas line (#14 in the gas tank fiche) with about a 10" length of the correct i.d. hose, just loop it carefully so it doesn't kink. The one molded gas hose you should buy OEM is the 'T' molded hose in the carb bank. It's #65 in the carb fiche, $30.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c0ef8700209bc7942f3/carburetor

When you try to mess with that, it will probably split and you might as well have a hose on-hand.

Hose

26H-14987-00-00

Retail Price: $43.99

Your Price: $30.47

Take a look inside your gas tank, and see what kind of shape it's in, any rust in there, and you'll be chasing your tail trying to keep your pilot jets clean as the rust deposits clog your pilot jets. Removing the tank and thoroughly-scouring it and having it lined with something like POR-15 or another product, or replacing the tank, if it's too-far-gone, is the prudent thing to-do. Someone who knows the procedure may be able to save the tank, but if you have to pay shop labor rates for that kind of work, you're better-off replacing the tank with a new OEM one, they're still available but not cheap, but the cost of a complete carb rebuild, including removal/replacement is probably twice the cost of a new gas tank.
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c14f8700209bc794305/fuel-tank
#1 on the fiche, 'fuel tank'

Fuel Tank Complete

1FK-24110-10-33

Retail Price: $434.99

Check the condition of the fuel sender unit, as if it's deteriorated, you won't know when the gas level is low, until your engine begins to cut-out. #48 on the fuel tank fiche
Sender Unit Assy, Fuel Meter

1FK-85752-01-00

Retail Price: $93.99

Your Price: $67.20

Don't forget the oval fuel tank sender unit assy. gasket:
Gasket, Sender Unit

42X-85753-00-00

Retail Price: $10.49

Your Price: $6.37

You gotta keep the gas in the tank!

Your Price: $309.39 (fuel tank)

Be careful working on the carbs, as the only one available complete now is #2, left front; #1 left rear, #3 right front, and #4 right rear are not available OEM.

Carb #2 is $690:
Carburetor Assy 2

2WF-14902-02-00

Retail Price: $892.99

Your Price: $690.64

Last edited:
awesome insights...im new at this but i like DIY for the learning opportunity. i will be reading up on this and reviewing your suggestions. its 2004 vmax btw.

Coils are still there, but the HT leads seem to be missing. Can you trace the wires from the rear spark plugs, and check where they`re going?

I converted to COPS (coil over plugs) just after I got the bike. If that is what you have, I'd stay with them. If that is not what you have, I recommend switching from your standard coils to COPS. If the bike was running with no lead to the coils then it is likely you have the COPS.

Back