Question re. starter fluid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

A coupla weeks back, someone had posted something regarding a starter fluid that assisted starting up a stubborn bike...I think it was sprayed into the combustion chambers before spark plugs were re-installed?

If any of you recall that, could you please reference the post for me?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

are you looking on just how to use starter fluid? works just like any other internal combustion engine..

Spray it into the filter. Will work good enough if that's the only problem (usually only needed if super cold out).

Was there a specific brand of starter fluid that works better than others?

Elimax

And needless to say, doing any of these things apart from the intended use/application may cause serious injury or death. Buyer/user beware!

Even if you use them correctly but are around a source of ignition, you could have unwanted ignition, or an explosion. Do not use these in a closed garage/room, or where you have a pilot light, such as a gas heater, stove, water heater, space heater, or other flame/potential ignition source. Flammable vapors can travel many feet from the source and flash-back to the unsuspecting user once they encounter an ignition source.

White, black, Inuit, Asian, Hispanic, 'mixed,' we all are pink underneath once the epidermis is burned-away.

Hi all:

A coupla weeks back, someone had posted something regarding a starter fluid that assisted starting up a stubborn bike...I think it was sprayed into the combustion chambers before spark plugs were re-installed?

If any of you recall that, could you please reference the post for me?
Thanks very much!

This stuff evaporates fast. I thnk by the time you put the plugs back in it would be gone. +1 to the air filter or air box inlet. Just a little is needed too. We usually used it on diesel engines in winter. It can go voom too so be carefull in closed areas.

Brand name here is Aerostart. Dunno if you have that one.
Slang name here is "Start ya bastard"

If it needs starting fluid regulary to start then you might need to go through the carbs and ignition. Bike should start fairly easily with the choke even down in the 20's

Some diesel engines have a pre heater in the intake manifold air inlet, I would not recomend using starting fluid in this application................................Tom.

My buddy used it a couple of months ago to seat a truck tire on my rim. Scary but it worked. Not recommended if you have a weak heart.

Last edited:
I used to drive a semi over the road and every tire truck that came out to a flat tire replacement or fix a flat if they had problems getting the tire to mount on the rim would spray some inside the tire then a line out of and on the tire light a piece of paper or something toss it down on the line of spray and you hear a vuooish then bang pop of the tire getting seated. I was like ok that worked. But they only did that if everything else failed. So it is a very common thing to do.

Carb cleaner works just as well for the tire trick....have used both with success. In fact when a bunch of the guys at work got on a kick building potato guns to go shoot in the back lot, we experimented with all sorts of flammable liquids we put in those disposable Preval co2 sprayers. We found acetone gave the biggest bang.

You really shouldn't ever need starting fluid for any remotely modern spark ignition engine if it's tuned well. I knew a buddy that had an alcohol racing go-kart that needed it to start, and at work we used to have an old tractor(without glow plugs) that needed a shot to get going in colder weather.

My Vmax fires right up well below freezing. Coldest I've ever ran it was a touch below 0* F. It maybe spun a few extra revolutions and needed a bit more choke(I used full choke, in the summer it only needs 25-50% choke to fire instantly), but once started ran smooth and strong as always.

Carb cleaner sprayed into the air filter will also provide the same results, just make sure and have a big rag ready to throw on top of it in case it catches fire!!!! Ask me how I know!!!!!! :)

Carb cleaner sprayed into the air filter will also provide the same results, just make sure and have a big rag ready to throw on top of it in case it catches fire!!!! Ask me how I know!!!!!! :)

So true. One of our crews caught an excavator on fire trying to start it with ether. No major damage. Just the filter and housing. Scared the shit out of them cause they thought it was going to burn to the ground at first.

Latest posts

Back