Questions Gentlemen - 2003 w/800 miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

Been watching the VMax market for a bit and found one I believe I am going to nab. After my childhood bikes I went from cruisers (VTX1800/Valkyrie) to sport bikes (R6/CBR600/CBR954RR) and now wanting something the wife and I can both ride for short jaunts without sacrificing my much loved acceleration factor. VMax seems to fit the bill.

That being said, I am looking at purchasing a 2003 with around 800 miles. The bike was purchased new in 2005 as a factory left over and stored with 14 miles on her until this year. She was stored in a nice and dry place (San Diego). The past year she had all her fluids changed, accumulated the remaining miles and has then sat the last 2 months.

However my concerns are:

1. Anything I should be looking for specifically with a VMax that sat that long? I am fairly mechanically adept, however this is my first VMax experience. (From what I hear it won't be my last)

2. 800 miles isn't even hitting the break-in period yet (according to my understanding and my experience with my other bikes.) Anything particular to "listen for" or "feel for" as I test ride? Also are there any unique noises VMaxs make that I shouldn't be concerned about if I hear?

3. Anything else you all might have to offer in respect to my situation would be great!

Thanks ahead of time for the responses!

Last edited:
Hey and welcome.

This sounds like a well preserved bike, and if it was stored properly it should be ok.

Things to check:
- make sure the tires aren't dry-rotted, any small cracks in the rubber means they're trash
- if you can, warm it up and run it hard thru first few gears - make sure it doesn't jump out of 2nd especially
- take a good look inside the fuel tank with a flashlight - see any rust? That'll tell you a lot about how it was stored
- it's most likely that if it was stored with fuel in it, the carbs will need going through as they'll be totally gummed up with dried up gas deposits. Really all depends on how it was stored all that time. If it was stored dry, then some of the rubber may or may not be perished also. Difficult to say without taking a good look, but your best indicator would be if it runs ok then it's prolly fine, if it doesn't it'll need work.

TBH 2003 isn't that old, so you might just be in luck. And for around $300, there are fully working sets of carbs on sale here right now :)

Well if the price is right I'd say you found a good ride. If you want to go straight and fast this is the bike. Good Luck, Spurs

Don't buy it, you will have nothing but trouble!
1). Low miles means the bike was not broken-in properly and will never seat the rings, leading to a smoking engine, overheating, and general owner malaise.
2). Oil left in the crankcase has long-ago permanently-etched the gears, causing surface-tension fissures which will undoubtedly result in gears shattering, showering the engine w/metal shards via the oiling system. Changing the oil will not help, and may expose you to noxious petroleum fumes known to cause sterility, feeble-mindedness, and poverty.
3). Tires have Japanese air in them, which is known to have residual amounts of radioactive fallout, refer to "Godzilla" and sequels for corroboration of what can happen if exposed to radiation.
4). Two-thousand three models had a factory recall because the electrical system was mistakenly charged with left-handed circulating electrons, which after this time has totally-ruined the wiring and electrical components. Just try asking for the correct right-handed electrons at your local NAPA and you will see how-difficult it will be to fix this.
5). The body panels were painted with lead-based paints. The EPA has issued a directive whereby any vehicles bearing such paints are to be confiscated, encapsulated, and transported to an Alabama hazardous waste disposal site.
6). The carb chains have undoubtedly already failed due to lack of periodic required throttle-stretching, causing significant engine damage.

The only solution for you to avoid personal health issues, pursuit by black helecoptors, and financial loss/ruin is to immediately and without delay mail all particulars of its location to:

"Fire-Medic"
149 MPH St.
Miami, FL

"Let your conscience guide your behavior!"

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

Been watching the VMax market for a bit and found one I believe I am going to nab. After my childhood bikes I went from cruisers (VTX1800/Valkyrie) to sport bikes (R6/CBR600/CBR954RR) and now wanting something the wife and I can both ride for short jaunts without sacrificing my much loved acceleration factor. VMax seems to fit the bill.

That being said, I am looking at purchasing a 2003 with around 800 miles. The bike was purchased new in 2005 as a factory left over and stored with 14 miles on her until this year. She was stored in a nice and dry place (San Diego). The past year she had all her fluids changed, accumulated the remaining miles and has then sat the last 2 months.

However my concerns are:

1. Anything I should be looking for specifically with a VMax that sat that long? I am fairly mechanically adept, however this is my first VMax experience. (From what I hear it won't be my last)

2. 800 miles isn't even hitting the break-in period yet (according to my understanding and my experience with my other bikes.) Anything particular to "listen for" or "feel for" as I test ride? Also are there any unique noises VMaxs make that I shouldn't be concerned about if I hear?

3. Anything else you all might have to offer in respect to my situation would be great!

Thanks ahead of time for the responses!
In general it looks to be a cherry find. The basic concerns are tires, carbs, fuel tank and how much they are asking. Tires to me wouldn't be too much of a issue as it is a consumeable. If it runs well and has no issues with running through the entire rpm range without stumbles the carbs should be ok. Check the fuel tank for rust which would be a problem but not that big of an issue to rectify. Price is what you are willing to pay, but I think you shouldn't pay more than $5500/6000 b/c you can get a perfectly good Vmax for typically around $4500. I would give a little more for a low mileage, properly stored and properly brought back out of storage Vmax.

1). Low miles means the bike was not broken-in properly and will never seat the rings, leading to a smoking engine, overheating, and general owner malaise.
2). Oil left in the crankcase has long-ago permanently-etched the gears, causing surface-tension fissures which will undoubtedly result in gears shattering, showering the engine w/metal shards via the oiling system. Changing the oil will not help, and may expose you to noxious petroleum fumes known to cause sterility, feeble-mindedness, and poverty.
3). Tires have Japanese air in them, which is known to have residual amounts of radioactive fallout, refer to "Godzilla" and sequels for corroboration of what can happen if exposed to radiation.
4). Two-thousand three models had a factory recall because the electrical system was mistakenly charged with left-handed circulating electrons, which after this time has totally-ruined the wiring and electrical components. Just try asking for the correct right-handed electrons at your local NAPA and you will see how-difficult it will be to fix this.
5). The body panels were painted with lead-based paints. The EPA has issued a directive whereby any vehicles bearing such paints are to be confiscated, encapsulated, and transported to an Alabama hazardous waste disposal site.
6). The carb chains have undoubtedly already failed due to lack of periodic required throttle-stretching, causing significant engine damage.

The only solution for you to
avoid personal health issues, pursuit by black helecoptors, and financial loss/ruin is to immediately and without delay mail all particulars of its location to:

"Fire-Medic"

149 MPH St.
Miami, FL

"Let your conscience guide your behavior!"

My God ! 2003 - I own one of those!

6). The carb chains have undoubtedly already failed due to lack of periodic required throttle-stretching, causing significant engine damage. 3). Tires have Japanese air in them, which is known to have residual amounts of radioactive fallout, refer to "Godzilla" and sequels for corroboration of what can happen if exposed to radiation.
rofl.gif

Welcome to the forum! as you can already tell, the members here are of a rare breed just lilke their rides. That '03 sounds like a hell of a find. As previously mentioned, exercise the common sense that you would have typically applied with your previous bikes. Depending on how dry it was when it was stored, I'd especially look at all the fluids and what they would have typically touched. For example, the carbs and gas tank; the brake and clutch masters and slaves; rear shaft drive; and the forks. If you do take it for a test ride, remember to restrain yourself to the break-in guidelines--same goes for if you do decided to take the plunge.

Last edited:
Another good thing about 2003 and up, all changes, mods, upgrades had been done by that model year. If I were ever to look for another Max, it would be a 2003 or newer.

I forgot to add, Welcome to the forum! Ask away with any further or future questions you may have, one of our resident experts will typically respond quickley. There are many "stickied" posts that give indepth step by steps with detailed photo's showing how to's (maintenace/ mods/ repairs) for your Vmax.

I cordially invite you to peruse this thread, written by yours truly. Hot, Fresh, and made Just for You.

The major bases have all been hit so far....
-Rust in gas tank
-Rotted tires (new tires mounted/balanced will run you around $400)
-Carb issues (hesitation, dead spots, sputtering, ect)
-A blown second gear (pops into a false neutral on hard acceleration)

Otherwise, you're right, it's barely broken in. Sounds like a good find.

It's people like FireMedic that make my day. Somebody should be paying this guy for his humor. Anyway, I hope you get the 03 for two or three grand. Reminds me of TxTornado and his superfind. Let us all know how it turns out! Anything that is wrong with it can be fixed or replaced. You'd be amazed at all the NOS parts these guys have squirelled away.
PATMAX

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, especially naughtyg ,redbone and RaWarrior. I am first in line for it so I will be running it through its paces shortly. I will let you everyone know what transpires.

As for Fire-Medic .... well done. You almost convinced me. But seriously, hilarious.

lol, i like the part about the left handed electrons... where does a guy come up with this stuff...

good find, 800 miles is broken in enough in my opinion to at least give a handful of WOT tests...sounds like a win! welcome!

peace,
evan....

aarrrrggggg..... supposed to go buy it tomorrow, the guy's own brother sniped me. Not a happy camper... especially since I just made a deal with a guy to sell my 954rr tomorrow at cheaper than I would have like in the anticipation of getting the vmax. hmmm sad day.... i will continue my search.

aarrrrggggg..... supposed to go buy it tomorrow, the guy's own brother sniped me. Not a happy camper... especially since I just made a deal with a guy to sell my 954rr tomorrow at cheaper than I would have like in the anticipation of getting the vmax. hmmm sad day.... i will continue my search.

Dam that sucks unless you got the extra 1200 try to find one with pipes... I just think its redoculous how much pipes cost

Damn, that not cool! Keep looking and if you find one that seems good to you post up it's info so we can help kick the tires, if you like.
Good luck in your search Throttle!:thumbs up:

Back