Quick & dirty carb balance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
Ok, so my max has been running richer then hell since I got it and I finally got the old man (my father) to come over with his merc guages.

Turns out there wasn't much merc left (they have been sitting in his shed for 12 years) so we did what we could with what we had.

Holy shit what a difference. The Max is quiet at idle and fires off like a rocket. Vboost is a while new experience from what I've been used to. Seems to be running a bit cooler as well.

Now I'm just going to order a new set of guages (slides I think) and do it the right way as it can only net better results.

Hi Cal,
I have a CarbTune II syncronizer and it's great. No mercury to evaporate:a014: or spill. It uses sliding stainless steel rods and works great. Costs more though.
Lew

I syncronize my carbs evey 2 weeks or so.Having the dealership do it once a year is losing alot of people alot of power!

Yea, I'm wanting to get a "slider" set so that I don't have to deal with the the merc.

Shawn, do you find that 2 weeks worth of running unsyncs the carbs enough to warrent sync them again? I know carbs can be touchy, but I wouldn't have thought they were that touchey.

Yes,Slamming the throttle wide open even knocks it out.Take a close look at how it works.The whole thing floats on springs and linkage.Kind off a very cheesy setup.They need tweeked quit often to stay on.

interesting. I know it all floats on some delicate parts, but I guess my understanding was that they were a bit tougher then that.

S'alright though, if they arn't, then thats fine, I'll just have to sync up more often. :)

Re: Quick & dirty carb balance

shawn kloker said:
Yes,Slamming the throttle wide open even knocks it out.Take a close look at how it works.The whole thing floats on springs and linkage.Kind off a very cheesy setup.They need tweeked quit often to stay on.

I think it is like a toilet tank valve, carburetors are just cheesy, I wish converting to fuel injectors was cheaper than $3999.99
________
Matador

Last edited:
It can be, it just all depends on how handy and creative you are. I haven't seen anything about a vmax conversion to FI, but there is a FI system called MegaSquirt that costs about $300 to build and can control any number of cylinders up to a V10, can be build out of radio shack and is fully customizable. Not sure what it would take to make it work on a max though. Might be something to look into. I would think that the hardest part would be making a manifold for the injectors.

hrm, maybe I can look into that over the winter. I was thinking about converting the FI system in one of my Vw's over to megasquirt so that I could turbo it, but maybe tooling with the Max would be a bit more fun since it's like uncharted territory.

Re: Quick & dirty carb balance

Calimus said:
It can be, it just all depends on how handy and creative you are. I haven't seen anything about a vmax conversion to FI, but there is a FI system called MegaSquirt that costs about $300 to build and can control any number of cylinders up to a V10, can be build out of radio shack and is fully customizable. Not sure what it would take to make it work on a max though. Might be something to look into. I would think that the hardest part would be making a manifold for the injectors.

hrm, maybe I can look into that over the winter. I was thinking about converting the FI system in one of my Vw's over to megasquirt so that I could turbo it, but maybe tooling with the Max would be a bit more fun since it's like uncharted territory.

If it just costs $300 to build I'll donate $100 for you to start I know the cost at the end will be more but if it is within $1000 and really works then I am all for it, I like your creativity:clapping:
________
Tsusho

Last edited:
I was looking at the fuel injected bike that Sean bought and they used the stock intake manifolds.They welded the holes shut where the vboost butterflies used to be.

About syncronizing the carbs every 2 weeks??? Your right:eusa_dance:

I just got back from Laguna Seca MOTOGP and the bike was not running smoothly just off idle. I had sync'ed the carbs a few weeks before the trip and they certianly needed it again after a 1000 miles or so.
Thanks again for a great idea,
Lew

For my 2 cents ------- the CarbTuneII is the tool of choice. Mostly because it's better than gauges and there is no mercury. Wonderful metal and fun to play with but most agencies consider it toxic in one way or another. Just see what your dentist goes through when he has to remove a mercury based filling. Spill a bit at a school and they will close you down( really). Lastly, it does evaporate at room temps---- just what I really wanted to breath.
Read the first thread again.
BTW: The CarbTune should be vertical and thats not as easy as it looks. Costs more also.

Last edited:
If you're using carbtune II (I am), make sure you disassemble and clean once in awhile.

Back