Quick way to jump start VMax 2nd gen

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcdonald

Reaction score
Is there q quick way to jump start the 2nd gen besides taking everything part to get directly to the battery cables???:confused:

Some time ago on my Gen 2 it would not turn over with a good battery. After several attempts to push start it with no luck it finally started with the button. And it was fine for months then didn't again.

Tim Nash explained. The starting issue is usually the starter button or kick stand safety switch. My issue was the starter button which I now disassemble and clean every so often.

Tim also explained that untill the engine reaches some RPM the ECU does not turn on the ignition. In my case fortunately the bike started. The guys I was with pushed me and my VMAX all over a gas station parking lot with no luck..

what I learned.

I've pushed mine on my gravel drive by my self and got it started. And also pushed it on black top with the aid of my wife and not able to get it started. So kinda hit or miss on the whole able to push start this beast .

Maybe Tim can give us some input. It sure would be nice if there was a reasonable & reliable way to bump start a Gen2

If you have the harness for hooking up a trickle charger you can pickup a set of jumper cables that connect to it & then it's just a matter of connecting the alligator clamps to another vehicle. My son has a set & jumped his FZ6 from a car a few months ago.

The problem is not so much the battery, but rather the 49 cent starter button that Yamaha put on these bikes.. Some corrosion and you're done..

I installed a 4 way SAE pigtail to my battery.

us one for phone charger on for tricjkle charger, another for GPS tracker. the one set up for the trickle charer i use if i need to just start. I bought one of those small portable jumstarters and a SAE to EC6 pigtail. i just plus the SAE into the jump starter and good to go

the portable jumpstarter has no problem jumping the bike multiple times.

you do have to be careful with positive and negative (you may need a SAE to SAE that swaps the positive/negative (mine came with one.

highly recommend an in-line fuse to protect the electrics

Seems like an aftermarket starter/kill switch would be an easy thing to source. Anybody ever look into that?
That is a very good idea! The next time I'm in by the solenoid I'm going to put in a remote starter button.

That will guarantee my starter button will never fail again!! 🙂

No.. going to stub out the starter button wires at the solenoid to a spot where I can get to it from under the seat, bypassing the handlebar button in the event it fails on the road.

I made myself a don't know exactly, 10 gauge or so cable with an EC5 connector, this is without any fuse, so handle with care.
I made a cable which can connect to a portable jumpstarter, also clamps to connect to another car/battery.

The jumpstarter is relatively small, like a bigger flashlight, was able to jumpstart a 3.6l engine, should be enough for the Max.

Fits into a backpack, saddlebag etc.

I made myself a don't know exactly, 10 gauge or so cable with an EC5 connector, this is without any fuse, so handle with care.
I made a cable which can connect to a portable jumpstarter, also clamps to connect to another car/battery.

The jumpstarter is relatively small, like a bigger flashlight, was able to jumpstart a 3.6l engine, should be enough for the Max.

Fits into a backpack, saddlebag etc.
By the way, I'm looking into a SuperCapacitor Jumpstarter. They're fairly large, but there's no need to pre-charge them at home. They need to have the possibility to charge on the fly. In the best case scenario, the remaining charge of the VMax Battery might be enough.

Alternatively, you can use a phone charger or another car, etc. As I mentioned earlier, I added a 10-gauge wire, and it also has a diode cluster to allow only one flow direction. To my excuse, this was already in the wiring; it came with the jumpstarter.

I've 3D printed a connector cap for the EC5 connector. I'm about to try it, but I'm a bit reluctant when it comes to discharging the battery just for this reason.

Back