Quiet exhausts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuecoDoc

Reaction score
Does anyone know which aftermarket pipes are the most quiet? I want HP gains for drag racing with minimal noise. So I think I need to get an x-pipe equivalent but I don't want anythig that actually strives for loudness.

Get the Akro mid pipe and use the stock mufflers. They didn't hurt hp numbers when dyno'd much at all.. maybe 1 hp.. :)

Ouch, I really don't like the mufflers so much. Given an Akro midpipe, what is the queitest other option? Thanks.

Get the Akro mid pipe and use the stock mufflers. They didn't hurt hp numbers when dyno'd much at all.. maybe 1 hp.. :)

I know what you are saying, but I'm certain that if someone put effort into making an exhaust as loud as possible it would not likely be the most powerful exhaust. So I hesitate to buy an exhaust actually advertised as being loud, because I think they probably just successfully engineered it for loudness. That's not what I'm looking for.

I'm not making a devoted race bike, obviously. Drag racing is the reason I'm looking at options though. Nothing gets me tickets like a loud exhaust.

Something like that simply does not exist.

For a momonet, I got excited that he was making something I haven't seen. I'm afraid you are talking about a Gen 1 option?

wouldn't bigger mufflers do it? i have walker kit with 17" cans and its significantly quieter than the 14". esp under 5k rpms.

Do you know if they will fit the akro mid-pipe? Yes, let me know where available.

My original Scorpions have a nice deep idle, but aren't much louder than stock when wide open.. They have a different sound, more exotic than stock, but still fairly quiet. 21" long tho.. I can hook you up where to buy a set. They'll run you about $250 and offer a nice midrange boost & plenty of top end horsepower ;)

http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=17642&stc=1&d=1286590559

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkYXonwZz2w

If you're talking Gen II, Bad Max is the one you should check out. He's the Man when it comes to Gen II. Very Knowledgeable.

1100 Maxim, is that an XJ-1100? I had one and it was a blast to ride, 147 mph with 1 up and did it in a hurry.

1100 Maxim, is that an XJ-1100? I had one and it was a blast to ride, 147 mph with 1 up and did it in a hurry.

Yes, XJ 1100 J. When I got it, it had a big Vetter fairing and I left that on for a few years. The first time I took it above 100mph without that fairing was sure an eye-opener. It was the XS1100 for several years then they renamed it.

HuecoDoc,
spoke with Mark McDade of Marks Performance Products last week regarding my Gen 1 V-Max exhaust system, and it sounds like he's close to having a prototype ready for the Gen 2 V-Max. His system might be just what you're looking for. You might want to discuss your needs with him. Many have been very satisfied with his pipes for the Gen !. I'm sure his Gen 2 system will be just as favorable.

I have an old Mark's video of the gen 1 that I think is about the best sound I've heard come out of a bike.

HuecoDoc,
spoke with Mark McDade of Marks Performance Products last week regarding my Gen 1 V-Max exhaust system, and it sounds like he's close to having a prototype ready for the Gen 2 V-Max. His system might be just what you're looking for. You might want to discuss your needs with him. Many have been very satisfied with his pipes for the Gen !. I'm sure his Gen 2 system will be just as favorable.

Do you know if they will fit the akro mid-pipe? Yes, let me know where available.

Akro's are 1 3/4" outlet and may require an adapter. I recently changed to shorter Scorpion mufflers and needed to adapt from 1 3/4" to 2". It was easy. i went to an auto parts store, bought a 6" piece of 2" pipe and cut 2 X 2" pieces from it, then sliced down 1 side of each & they fit right over the 1 3/4" outlet and slid inside the 2" inlet of the muffler, kinda like a bushing/insert. Simple stuff. You can get a pair of just mufflers here http://bikergarage101.com/5201282sozx6rzx6rr03ss.aspx
Or get a complete setup with a midpipe you could cut & make adapters from, Check Ebay item 370275722482 and they come with hardware, including an oval clamp that works at the factory mount position.. Be sure and send BIKEPARTSOUTLET a message and tell him you want a pair. He'll probably do a little better for a pair & combine shipping too ;)

wouldn't bigger mufflers do it? i have walker kit with 17" cans and its significantly quieter than the 14". esp under 5k rpms.
Of course me friend it will be quiter but, with LONGER muffler.

But if You want something really comfortable You must decide.
Or 360' head turn mathaf@#%$a pipes or something like BMW K series motorcycles.
First or second, nothing beteween. Bteween is a bullshit.

Stock v-max is not quiet either, remember exhaust changes over the years?

Did Ya ever heardo BMW K series motorcycle?
Like a good car from inside.
Cooling fan from my notebook is louder! :rofl_200:

I know what you are saying, but I'm certain that if someone put effort into making an exhaust as loud as possible it would not likely be the most powerful exhaust. So I hesitate to buy an exhaust actually advertised as being loud, because I think they probably just successfully engineered it for loudness. That's not what I'm looking for.

I'm not making a devoted race bike, obviously. Drag racing is the reason I'm looking at options though. Nothing gets me tickets like a loud exhaust.
You can go with full exhaust with echangable muffler.
Slipon change will take You about 10min.
Just take it off for drag racing.
Its even possible to make a fast lock for ultra quick take off.
Just IMO.

Some thoughts on the level volume/loudness concern. Case length does effect amount of quieting things down. But mostly it's the threw hole diameter that dictates the level.
Bigger the hole the louder it becomes. Start making the hole smaller and the quieter it
becomes. Given 99% of mufflers made are a tube with round holes in them, there is a bit of factor there too on how big of holes and spacing of them and/or amount of them can let less or more of the exhaust filter into the packing material can effect the volume as well. But nothing like the tube diameter.

i have carbon fiber cans, the idle sounds great, theyre really not loud at all. but they sound so good!!!

Latest posts

Back