R.I.P. Smokin' Joe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think we'll ever see fights like those again guys. Incredible fighters, both of them. RIP Smokin Joe, you won't ever be forgotten.You beat the fighter most (and himself I'm afraid) called the greatest. To me YOU are the greatest! That's greatest fighter, and representative of the sport.
Ali's rope a dope stratagy, though brilliant career extending stratagy, was like watching grass grow. I believe he's paying the price for THAT And whatever else now.Best olympic fighter (ALI) for sure though.
Steve-o
Boxing fan for-just a long time...lol
Remember $5 for closed circuit tv?

Last edited:
RIP Joe, all my brothers and me grew up and followed boxing religiously especially cause our Dad was a semi-pro undefeated fighter. So we all learned to box from an early age. Ali-Frazier was THE fight of the century. I was 10 when they first fought and we were Ali fans and heartbroken when Joe beat him but after getting to know of Frazier more we became fans of him as well. My brother Danny still follows the fighters as well as goes up to the boxing hall of fame in New York somewhere and met Joe in person. I kinda got away from boxing when I started in Karate some 25 years ago. But the world did lose a first class legend yesterday. WE WILL MISS YOU JOE. Ed✨

Smokin Joe was before my time but i've seen plenty of reruns of his memorable fights, especially with Big George. Boxing looses another great. RIP

Joe couldn't put-up with Ali's joking and hype, he needed better handlers to advise him about not giving Ali the platform. Once you know you get under someone's skin, they 'own' you, they just keep at it until you explode.

I recall seeing a picture in Life magazine, I think it was, it could have been LOOK, I dunno, it was a long time ago, it was a single picture and it featured a small pic of a wide-faced guy with a medium growth of bushy hair, starting to recede, even at his young age, leaning out of a first-generation Ford van, I think it was a delivery van, you know, no side-door windows, and painted on the side of it was "The Next Heavyweight Champion of the World."

The driver was an up & coming fighter starting to make a name for himself-George Foreman. He had won an Olympic Gold Medal in Mexico City in 1968 and turned pro. That's when I saw the article, about 1969.

Joe couldn't put-up with Ali's joking and hype, he needed better handlers to advise him about not giving Ali the platform. Once you know you get under someone's skin, they 'own' you, they just keep at it until you explode.

Yes, this same strategy has been going on and on and prize fighters still falling for it to this date. :bang head:
I quess is part of the disipline and self control a boxer needs to learn. It's hard to stay with the fight plan if you're pissed off at your opponent right?

Back