VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StanVM2007

Reaction score
Mine's a 2007 with now 47k km.

I couldn't find anything using search, so here is my asking about upgrading the voltage regulator to Mosfet FH0220, or even the bigger series regulator SH847. Where did you find the space to mount it? I got rid of the ignition coils running on C0PS, but still, there is not much space, and also space under the scoops. Plus the ventilation - there is not much air flow under the seat. And especially the SH847 is quite bulky. I'd like to get the series SH775 but it seems to be not available anywhere. Just a year or even few months ago they were not expensive and easy to find. Not now.

So, I'd like to hear everything about doing this upgrade since the stock is producing a bit too much voltage to my liking. And also I'd like to be good to the stator. I am not sure what type of regulator is the stock one. I suppose just a regular shunt.

Please educate me and show me your placement solutions and wire connections if you switched to these later regulators.

Cheers!

I couldn't find anything using search, so here is my asking about upgrading the voltage regulator to Mosfet FH0220, or even the bigger series regulator SH847. Where did you find the space to mount it? I got rid of the ignition coils running on C0PS, but still, there is not much space, and also space under the scoops. Plus the ventilation - there is not much air flow under the seat. And especially the SH847 is quite bulky. I'd like to get the series SH775 but it seems to be not available anywhere. Just a year or even few months ago they were not expensive and easy to find. Not now.

So, I'd like to hear everything about doing this upgrade since the stock is producing a bit too much voltage to my liking. And also I'd like to be good to the stator. I am not sure what type of regulator is the stock one. I suppose just a regular shunt.

Please educate me and show me your placement solutions and wire connections if you switched to these later regulators.

Hey StanVM2007
Go the RoadsterCycle Vmax home page, check out that Vmax three wheeler doing burn outs with a 300 back wheel while your there.
But yea, he's got whatever you want for these regs. FH08AA, FH012AA, FH020AA, SH775 and the SH847 along with mounting brackets and wiring harness.
I've run the SH775 for year's now with excellent performance!
I'll post pics of how cleanly its mounted under the gas tank to what's left of the center stand attach area soon.

Gent

Hi Gent!

I actually had a very short talk with Jack from RoadsterCycle, as I was set on getting the SH775 and didn't see it available on their website. I don't remember the details now, it was about something gone wrong between him and supplier, and he doesn't sell the SH775 R/R anymore. He said I could look for them with Polaris dealers. And yes - SH775 would fit my needs the best, not just with Vmax but other bikes!

I got equivalent of the SH847 from RM Stator in Quebec, Canada. It is CNC machined and listed as serial 50 Amp. It looks exactly like Kimpex, and RM Stator told me Kimpex buys from them. The RM Stator one has their logo stamped on them, Kimpex has nothing. I was surprised to see 'Made in China' on the packing box - I thought it would be made in Canada or USA! But I haven't seen any knock offs like this, although I have no idea about the inside. I haven't heard complains so far.

That RM Stato R/R is the same size as SH847. Bulky! It will go on a 1979 KZ1300, one I built from scratch. I had to modify mounting and move the igniter.
It will fit nice there, but I can't see how I could fit a SH847 on a Gen 1 Vmax... So, SH775 would be ideal. Except, not available and hard to find. Definitely I'd want a genuine Shindegen.

I'm very curious about your under the tank mounting! And how you fed the wires. Looking forward to see the pics :)

MaxMidnight - a couple years ago a cheap aftermarket voltage/USB charger/temp. gauge was showing 15.8 V charge. Possibly it wasn't correctly calibrated.
I've been riding lots before that and since and no problem. So, I think perhaps I don't really need this but why not. Mosfet especially series R/R is newer technology, so with all the other upgrades, why not? It's a bike that will stay with me for years.

Cheers!
Post in thread 'Bad Rectifier/Regulator?' Bad Rectifier/Regulator?

Here is a thread I posted a few years back. I made an aluminum plate and mounted under left foot peg.

Thanks DRWard. I had similar ideas, thought of making a plate, or a small box, and placing it between the rear shock and the frame. I am a little worried about all the dirt and rain in which the exposed R/R would be soaked in though - it is my all weather daily rider.

I managed to find two used Polaris 4012941 R/R's and ordered them. From the pictures it shows SH775 stamped on them, so I just hope their description as working fine is correct. The 775 would be easier to fit, plus it's much cheaper than 847. If both work, I have another bike to used it for.

Now must wait for the delivery. But I have a Chinese FH0220 knock off from Ebay, which I am not intending to use, so I could already start fabricating the mounting brackets. Still not decided where to jam it in.

Hi Gent!

I actually had a very short talk with Jack from RoadsterCycle, as I was set on getting the SH775 and didn't see it available on their website. I don't remember the details now, it was about something gone wrong between him and supplier, and he doesn't sell the SH775 R/R anymore. He said I could look for them with Polaris dealers. And yes - SH775 would fit my needs the best, not just with Vmax but other bikes!

I got equivalent of the SH847 from RM Stator in Quebec, Canada. It is CNC machined and listed as serial 50 Amp. It looks exactly like Kimpex, and RM Stator told me Kimpex buys from them. The RM Stator one has their logo stamped on them, Kimpex has nothing. I was surprised to see 'Made in China' on the packing box - I thought it would be made in Canada or USA! But I haven't seen any knock offs like this, although I have no idea about the inside. I haven't heard complains so far.

That RM Stato R/R is the same size as SH847. Bulky! It will go on a 1979 KZ1300, one I built from scratch. I had to modify mounting and move the igniter.
It will fit nice there, but I can't see how I could fit a SH847 on a Gen 1 Vmax... So, SH775 would be ideal. Except, not available and hard to find. Definitely I'd want a genuine Shindegen.

I'm very curious about your under the tank mounting! And how you fed the wires. Looking forward to see the pics :)

MaxMidnight - a couple years ago a cheap aftermarket voltage/USB charger/temp. gauge was showing 15.8 V charge. Possibly it wasn't correctly calibrated.
I've been riding lots before that and since and no problem. So, I think perhaps I don't really need this but why not. Mosfet especially series R/R is newer technology, so with all the other upgrades, why not? It's a bike that will stay with me for years.
To explain a little, the regulator mounts to a approx .187x .5x maybe 3" piece of aluminum stock, that bolts up to the cross bar in the frame where the center stand used to be. There is an OE m8 hole in that bar where something had been attached, probably a stock exhaust mount point.
This pic is taken from below the bike which as you can see is really low so the belly pan which is really tight to the wheel and header leaves not much room for
a pic, but holding my phone just right gives us a peek at the RR up above said cross bar 20230121_132433.jpgRE Size 1.jpg20161022_155412.jpg

Hi Gent!

I found a diagram! This show's exactly were I mounted the RR.
InkedCROSS.gif

Hi Gent!

Just saw that RR offered now on Ebay for about 160!

Just saw that RR offered now on Ebay for about 160!

Splendid bike Gent! That rear wheel looks massive! I did some upgrades as well, but kept the whole bike looking stock otherwise. Mad Max 18" rear wheel but front stock, radial tires, Progressive 444 rear shocks, Ricor Intiminators dropped in front forks, 6 pod front brake Sumitomo calipers with stainless teflon lines.

The R/R wasn't from Ebay actually, but online from quad website. It was $59 including shipping to Washington, so not bad.

Since the ignition coils are gone, I might try to find a space for the R/R under the seat. Just to see if that might work to my liking. I have stock exhaust and keep the center stand, so it might be challenging having it under the tank. 0r perhaps on the right side of the engine, behind the radiator - symmetrically to how I installed the air horn.
A good thing is the SH775 is much smaller than the 847. But if mounting outside, then not much of a problem.

Splendid bike Gent! That rear wheel looks massive! I did some upgrades as well, but kept the whole bike looking stock otherwise. Mad Max 18" rear wheel but front stock, radial tires, Progressive 444 rear shocks, Ricor Intiminators dropped in front forks, 6 pod front brake Sumitomo calipers with stainless teflon lines.

The R/R wasn't from Ebay actually, but online from quad website. It was $59 including shipping to Washington, so not bad.

Since the ignition coils are gone, I might try to find a space for the R/R under the seat. Just to see if that might work to my liking. I have stock exhaust and keep the center stand, so it might be challenging having it under the tank. 0r perhaps on the right side of the engine, behind the radiator - symmetrically to how I installed the air horn.
A good thing is the SH775 is much smaller than the 847. But if mounting outside, then not much of a problem.

Ok, your research prowess pay's off! So am I mistaken in thinking the 775 and 847 are the same size?
Now I'll bet if you clean-up the area below the fuel pump in front of the battery you can get that RR tucked in there.
Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate my bike, its been a fun build for sure.

I have removed the coils under the seat, and my SH775 unit lives there. These units do not shunt to ground, and thusly do not get hot like a Shunt or mosfet unit. Never had a problem with heat. I did the same mod to my 2002 Roadstar, R/R living under the seat, again no problems. I demonstrated this to a group of guys at Thunder a few years back. We took a long ride, and as soon as we got back, I took the seat off, and let the people put their hands directly on the regulator. It was barely warm.
I'd not worry about heat with these Series regulators. Just be certain to get a genuine Shindengen unit. Lots of counterfeit ones out there. Failure causing extreme high voltage can get expensive. Also, run the 3 stator wires directly to the R/R, and output direct to battery, through a fuse. Plenty of articles here to guide you.

I have removed the coils under the seat, and my SH775 unit lives there. These units do not shunt to ground, and thusly do not get hot like a Shunt or mosfet unit. Never had a problem with heat. I did the same mod to my 2002 Roadstar, R/R living under the seat, again no problems. I demonstrated this to a group of guys at Thunder a few years back. We took a long ride, and as soon as we got back, I took the seat off, and let the people put their hands directly on the regulator. It was barely warm.
I'd not worry about heat with these Series regulators. Just be certain to get a genuine Shindengen unit. Lots of counterfeit ones out there. Failure causing extreme high voltage can get expensive. Also, run the 3 stator wires directly to the R/R, and output direct to battery, through a fuse. Plenty of articles here to guide you.

Thanks. I am in the same situation without the coils. I will have three genuine used SH775 to choose from - ordered them online for all my bikes.

Latest posts

Back