R&R Stator how-to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I'm looking for a how-to for replacing the stator and R/R. I have the parts and will be tearing into it this afternoon, just hoping to find a how-to with pics before I start. I tried searching, but did not find one.

Thanks in advance!

I have few pictures of it remove... the stator.... have pics of r/r on another computer.

Attachments

• P1050072.jpg
    P1050072.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P1050081.jpg
    P1050081.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1050082.jpg
    P1050082.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P1050088.jpg
    P1050088.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
No oil drain, put a pan under the bike the side where the cover is. Is you tilt the bike to the right some you loose less oil... I just like to have the bike lift up even. You may need to have new gaskets 1 for the stator cover and 1 for the gear cover.. you can see the gaskets in the picture still on the bike.

Attachments

• vmax cover off.jpg
    vmax cover off.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 39
  • vmax cover off 1.jpg
    vmax cover off 1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 37
Well, I was advised to purchase a R/R from an R1. I did, and now I am faced with this. (see below.) Do I return it and get an OEM R/R, or do I cut off the wires from the old one and use spade connectors (female) to connect to the R1 unit?

If the latter, how do I know which wire goes where?

Lastly, can I use the new stator with the old R/R (see if it's any good) or could I damage my new stator with a defective / old R/R? I was hoping to ride to work tomorrow, but I'll wait if I could damage the new stator.

Thanks!

20140720_131952_zps0d68ced7.jpg

I got these answers in another thread and via PM. Here is a synopsis so if someone stumbles across this thread in the future the answer is available:

The plug can be purchased from EasternBeaver (generic 5 pin connector)

Wiring is as follows:

The 3 top wires on the connector go to the Stator (white wires) and the bottom two are for "+" and "-" connections.
I just some checking and found this on the R1 forums. Please keep scrolling right past the guy that posted about putting a computer fan on top of the r/r.
With the r/r oriented so that the fins are facing up, the 3 white wires will be on the bottom, the ground (black) will be on the right and the positive (red) will be on the left on a 5 pin connector.

Lastly, it should be safe to connect the old R/R to the new Stator to test for charging. If it is not chargiing, remove the old R/R and wire in the new one.

I'm looking for a how-to for replacing the stator and R/R. I have the parts and will be tearing into it this afternoon, just hoping to find a how-to with pics before I start. I tried searching, but did not find one.

Thanks in advance!

I have a step by step post here for the pick up coils, but it gets you to the stator also.

I have a step by step post here for the pick up coils, but it gets you to the stator also.
Many thanks. I got the stator replaced, now just need to wire in the R1 R/R. Also, need to try to figure out why it won't go into neutral after having it apart. I'm hoping it's just a linkage adjustment.

Thank you for the link!

I ended up mounting the R/R under the left scoop. Now I get around 14 VDC when I rev the bike a bit. Thanks again for all of the help!

Glad your up and running, post some pictures of the install r/r under the scoop so other can see.

Here's a pic of where I mounted it. I need to find a better way to attach it than zip ties, but it's OK for now.

20140802_102100_zps32bf95da.jpg

Cool pic nice job now you fly over and work on my vmax Master Mechanic go boy funny :clapping:

These are lift over man trying to found the problem I had with my charging system boy did I learn the complete system and how it works.

Attachments

• P1050735.jpg
    P1050735.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
A mounting bracket something i came up with. I used 26 gauge sheet metal it can be trim better and I would go over it with some kinda caulk tape the side cover will hold in place. You can drill holds in the sheet metal to mount the r/r. This is a ruff mount bracket. I did not finish trimming it.

But something like this can work. The caulk tape will keep it from scratching the frame. You can lift the r/r off the frame on the bracket when the side cover come's off or leave it on the frame. The sheet metal flaps bend kinda around the frame. kinda cool.

The foam tape will go over the complete bracket front and back.

Attachments

• P1050737.jpg
    P1050737.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P1050742.jpg
    P1050742.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 31
  • P1050748.jpg
    P1050748.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1050751.jpg
    P1050751.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
Looks great Pete, I'm glad you have it sorted! Jagco1 good idea on the mount!
Here is the pictures of mine:
2014-08-02 15.48.51.jpg 2014-08-02 15.48.57.jpg 2014-08-02 15.50.04.jpg
I used some zip ties as well!:punk:

Back