R1 Brake caliper mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibsy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this one has been flogged to death but I can’t really find definitive answers I need. I have the skinny 40mm forks which are pre-‘93 I believe. Can I fit the blue/gold spot calipers using adapter brackets? If so, where can I get these brackets in UK? or am I just wasting time and money?

cheers folks.

Front Brake hanger bracket (exactrep.com)

Front Brake Hanger Brackets (pair) (1200)
1634385319346.png

Part Number: 12B

A pair of billet ally front brake hangers that will allow the fitment of the blue/gold spot range of Yamaha calipers or the 4-pot '93-'07 V-Max calipers as fitted to the later Yamaha range of bikes.

These will only fit the early '85-'92 V-Max (40mm forks & 83mm Caliper fixing centres fork legs).

You will also need to fit the 298mm floating discs as fitted '93-'07, (as the original '85-'92 discs are too small).

Price: £100.00 ($137.00) Ex. VAT and Handling Fee at 2%= £122.00 Inc. VAT at 20% if delivered to U.K. and Handling Fee at 2%

Note the difference in the angle of the shock cans.

Are they mounted symmetrically? Unless it's camera distortion, I'd have thought that if 2 items were mounted parallel, then no matter what angle a photo is taken, they still should be parallel?

Hi all,

I know this one has been flogged to death but I can’t really find definitive answers I need. I have the skinny 40mm forks which are pre-‘93 I believe. Can I fit the blue/gold spot calipers using adapter brackets? If so, where can I get these brackets in UK? or am I just wasting time and money?

cheers folks.

In addition to what Mr Medic wrote, you should note that the banjo bolt hole is at a different orientation to the OE calipers. You would also need to replace the lower brake hoses if you want to avoid having to put a twist in the OE hoses.

Note the difference in the angle of the shock cans.

Are they mounted symmetrically? Unless it's camera distortion, I'd have thought that if 2 items were mounted parallel, then no matter what angle a photo is taken, they still should be parallel?
Very observant! I noticed no pin/pads in the caliper, maybe its just a mock-up shot.

^^^ Yes, that's the only explanation, left side shock is not bolted in place.

Well spotted missing pads and pins

In addition to the R1 brackets I make six piston hayabusa conversion kits. Even better braking and feel from increased pad surface area and piston surface volume.

Latest posts

Back