• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

R1 Calipers (Gold Dot) -SOLD-

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently I upgraded my front brakes to the Sumitumo 6-pots from Sean Morley. I now have a set of Yamaha R1 gold dot brake calipers up for sale. They come with the Galfer HH pads, which only have around 5000 miles on them, you should be able to get considerably more than that out of them before they need replacing. They work well with the stock master cylinder, and seem to have a bit better stopping power (could be the pads), and IMHO look better than the stock calipers.

These bolt right on with no modifications needed.

$100 gets you the set with pads.

2qjw0bc.jpg

vryc6p.jpg

1zvrdq0.jpg

2lsbif8.jpg

2edd3qu.jpg

np2kir.jpg

Thanks for reading,

The Borg

Re: R1 Calipers (Gold Dot)

The gold spot calipers came with coated aluminum pistons and glide super smoothly! They are great for some other models but the 6 pistons are a better choice (in my opinion) for these bikes. I may be interested if these other guys aren't.

Borg, Sean,

How much for the 6 piston calipers? It will determine if I get these gold dots....

what is the difference between the gold and the blue dots?
Michael

what is the difference between the gold and the blue dots?
Michael
If I remember correctly I believe the piston that are gold are aluminium and supposedly slide easier.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly I believe the piston that are gold are aluminium and supposedly slide easier.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Correct.

Blue spots have steel pistons which are hard chromed.

Gold spots have aluminum pistons. I've heard they have some kind of anti friction coating but never verified for myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So, similar to yellow Vmaxes being faster than all other colors. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, similar to yellow Vmaxes being faster than all other colors. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...lol

Attachments

• user8061_pic10608_1486876774.jpg
    user8061_pic10608_1486876774.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 20

The gold slide WAY smoother in the bores and far far easier to clean up on a rebuild. If I had a choice it would be the 6 piston, then the gold, then a tie for the blue or stock. The 6 piston gold would be the shit but they don't have them in the correct orientation to fit without some serious adapters (Gary made some for his Venture sometime back).

Here's the exploded view of the limited edition gold calipers with fresh anodized inserts. The second pic is the standard R1 steel piston with red anodized insert. The third pic is the sumitomo's and the last picture is the Hayabusa. Done most types at one point or another.

Email me for info/pricing on the sumitomo's.

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_120055406.jpg
    IMG_20170405_120055406.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160428_171034041.jpg
    IMG_20160428_171034041.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20160414_153030564.jpg
    IMG_20160414_153030564.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20131016_110216_738.jpg
    IMG_20131016_110216_738.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 35

I have never seen 6pot gold spots, what did they come out on?

Just an FYI, these calipers fit the the later model V-maxes. Earlier models would need an adapter.

1993-2007 VMaxes use 100 mm o.c. caliper bolt pattern & 298 MM dia. rotors. 1985-1992 use an 82 mm o.c. caliper spacing and smaller dia. disc rotors.

Just an FYI, these calipers fit the the later model V-maxes. Earlier models would need an adapter.

I think he's talking abut the gold "spot" 6 pistons which are radial mounted on inverted forks. I don't recall which year it had those available?

Sean

Hi all:

Would any "Gold Spot" caliper cylinders fit into the "Blue Spot" calipers? If so, which year Gold Spots would fit into which year Blue Spots?

(If so, I'm thinking about modifying my Blue Spots with Gold Spot cylinders.)

Thanks.

Elimax

The typical blue spot can accept the gold spot internals. Just check ebay for a similar side bolted caliper (not radial which has bolts through from the top/rear). Of course at that point just swap the whole caliper and be done with it. Or buy his set here and be done with it.

Latest posts

Back