R1 fork set up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
Hey guys looking in to swapping the front fork to the R1 style. Is it plug and play? What year R1 forks should I buy? Front stock rim fits?

Hey guys looking in to swapping the front fork to the R1 style. Is it plug and play? What year R1 forks should I buy? Front stock rim fits?
Not plug and play.
You need custom Triples.
Year doesn't really matter. They just need to work with the triples. Newer is typically better
Stock front wheel can be made to fit. Need some custom machining to make that happen. I wouldn't (didnt) bother. I ran the wheel/rotors/ and brakes all from one bike with custom Triples that match the fork OD. Only downside to using the R1 wheel is you will need a new speedometer

The triples should have some drop built in. I also installed extensions. USD forks are short.

My front end is gen2 busa but same concept.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lots of information around here if you can find it through searches. Sean Morley (one2dmax) would be the best source for parts and suggestions. You will need custom triple trees for the forks. The R1 forks are significantly shorter. Some companies make Triples with a 1.5" drop to help or fork extensions. You will need this unless you want to drag parts or smash your wheel through the radiator on a hard bump.

The swap is pricey so be prepared. Depending on what year forks you use depends on the wheel/spacers needed. 02-03 R1 forks are fairly simple. All I needed was some spacers for the calipers/axle and an axle bushing/nut and I was able to use the stock style wheel and speedo. I got all of my parts from cycle one-off but believe he has stopped making the triple trees. Stock fender will need and adapter bracket to work. Not an issue if you use the R1 stuff.

Depending on the Triples you may or may not be able to simply bolt all of the stock stuff back on.

Springs should be upgraded to match the weight of the vmax and to realize any handling improvements. Racetech is a great source for suspension bits.

Attachments

• 20170601_181247.jpg
    20170601_181247.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 54
I know that ist been done, but I dont know how in depth it is. What does it involve to put a gen 2 front end on a gen 1?

Finding one! They aren't parted out much yet. A think you have to machine a pocket for the nut to attach to the bearing stem/shaft.

I am mounting a fzr 1000 front end,read that they are drop in.add some extensions and will have 17" wheel,big rotors and a usd look.
Being the fzr an older bike i can skip for now on springs because they were way heavier than recent sport bike so springs should be more suited.

The FZR1000 is probably 25% lighter than a VMax. The downtube/slider length is probably ~3" less. You have to account for both these to have something that is going to work safely for you. The additional VMax weight will compress the front end, and your much-shorter tubes will also put your front end wheel/tire/fender much-closer to your radiator. You don't want to hit a dip in the road, have the fender lock itself into the radiator, lose steering capability, and end up crashing, because you didn't think this through sufficiently. At a very minimum, you need slugs approximately the same length as the difference between the FZR 1000 downtube/slider length, and the VMax measurement. What is the length of your FZR 1000 steering stem? I have on-hand a 'Max steering stem which measures about 7-5/8" from the bottom triple tree body to the chrome dust shield, including the lip,which is pretty-close to the same measurement from an FZR 1000 triple tree I also have.

For your information, a Hyabusa and a 1st generation VMax are within a few pounds of each other, in weight, as-is a 2017 Honda VFR1200F (at a bit-under 600 lbs.). A '94 FZR 1000 USD fork model is 471 lbs.

I am mounting a fzr 1000 front end,read that they are drop in.add some extensions and will have 17" wheel,big rotors and a usd look.
Being the fzr an older bike i can skip for now on springs because they were way heavier than recent sport bike so springs should be more suited.

It's not quite a drop in but close. You'll have to fab up something to reuse your handlebars or go to clip-ons.

Its a 50kg difference. If you remove center stand,stock exhaust for something lighter and swap the complete front end and rear wheel i believe the weight difference will be lower.
For the stock handlebar i will try to use and drill fzr top tree...

Back