R1 fork tubes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the conversion, besides the triple trees and extensions do you need to do anything to them to compensate for the bikes weight difference? I am using a 98-01 wheel. 98-01 fork tubes, 2000 front fender. Do they require a heavier spring or anything anyone knows of?

Yes, otherwise your front end will suffer from too-much preload. The weight of the bike will use-up probably half of your available travel. An R1 of 2001 vintage is only 71% of the weight of a VMax, roughly. As a rule of thumb, you need to use that as a starting point for higher rate springs.

I agree with Mr Medic but would put it slightly differently in that the R1 spring rate will not be sufficient for the weight of the Max. As a result they will compress too much with the weight of the bike and rider resulting in too much static sag (SS). For average riding you should be aiming for a SS of around 30 - 35 mm or around 33% of the available fork travel.
You should probably modify the damper valves as well?

Last edited:
MM is correct, I meant 'static sag' when I wrote preload. Preload comes from the spacer on top of the spring beneath the downtube cap.

I’m going to leave it in Sean Morley’s hands. That way I know it’s done right. I’d rather pay than have to pull it all apart. I told him my weight so I’m sure he’ll have it set up right

Back