R1 Tubes in FZR Triples

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoMax

Reaction score
I've seen on a thread here where '91-'92 FZR 1000 triples are a simple swap for the stock Gen 1, and guys have used R1 forks, I was wondering if the R1 tubes would work/fit with the FZR triples?

If the FZR triples are 54mm lower and 50mm upper and similar stem length i don't see why not, or you can always check for reboring the triples if narrower than that...

I have an '89/'90 FZR1000 front end complete I was considering putting on my '87. Maybe I can put it on my VMax instead!

I don't know if that'll fit, i read that the '91-'92 FZR 1000 was a simple swap.

Are you talking about calipers or the full front? I have some idea that the steering stem is such that you can just swap them by the vmax stock ones but i cannot confirm this

I believe when I considered the possibility of doing something like this I found the '87-'88 FZR1000 front end was 1 3/4" shorter than the VMax.

I just measured the '87 triple tree. The fork tubes are 40 mm, steer. stem top bearing I.D. is 25.77 mm, bottom I.D. is 29.58 mm & stem l.o.a. is ~187.325 mm from bottom of one race to the top of the other.

The '89-'90 triple tree is 40 mm fork tube dia and I think the stem is similar to the '87. If someone wanted to know for sure I would measure it.

The thing which kept me from doing the front end swap was finding out the VMax downtubes/slider length was 1 3/4" > than the FZR1000. The castings for the stem top & bottom were the same for '87/'88 and then changed to the 43 mm downtubes for '89/'90.

They both used the 100 mm caliper spacing.

No idea if the 91+ fzr triples fit easily or not. Not sure what the fork tube OD's are on the USD forks of the '91 FZR

As weasel mentioned, R1 forks are 50mm OD up top and 54mm where the lower triple attaches.

Another thing to consider is that the R1 forks will be about 4" shorter than stock if you don't use a dropped triple or fork extensions. And, if you use a 17" front rim with a 120 tire that will drop you another 1".

Back